lpdog

Multiple video signals on one coax

Is there a way to combine 16 camera video signals and send them down one coax line. Then, at the end of the coax, split them back up so that each camera is displayed on its own monitor (or sent to a matrix switcher)???

What would I use to do this? What would it cost? Would it cause a decrease in the quality of the video?

Thanks in advance.

I only know of a 2 way combiner like that, from Foresight and it still has its limitations.

http://www.foresight-cctv.com/VDS2500.pdf

Otherwise you could look at something like:

1-UTP Twisted Pair - 1x 16 channel Active Reciever and 1x 16 channel Passive Transceiver - for 3000' using Cat3 Multi Pair Bundle - eg. 16 pairs = 16 video signals (power the cameras seperately at each location or multiple ones in a central location near the cameras)

http://www.nvt.com/products/NV_1613A.html

http://www.nvt.com/products/NV_1662R.html

The Active reciever gives you::

-3,000ft (1km) when used with any passive NVT transceiver or hub

-5,280ft/1 mile (1,6km) when used with NV–653T transmitter and Cat-2 or 3 wire (single channel transmitters with cat2 or 3)

-8,000ft /1.5 miles (2,4km) NTSC when used with NV–653T and Cat-5 or better (single channel transmitters with cat5)

2-Analog Matrix Systems but still need tiwsted pair to link them and the control keyoads, and not sure how well that works or what it does, check out:

http://www.geindustrial.com/ge-interlogix/kalatel/prd_matrix_switcher.html

3-Fiber - big dollars ... best bet but not cheap.

Rory

The coax is already in place linking two buildings. Need to expand the number of cameras w/o running more cable so UTP options are no good. I looked at some multiplexers. I multiplexed the video on one end and sent it using the VCR out. At the other end I used another multiplexer and put it in the VCR in. The video shows up on the multiplexer monitor but can't be split into 16 separate signals. Anyone know a mux that can?

Yeah, that sounds about right, though you would need to be in Play mode on the second multiplexer to display that video, as its coming in multipexed format on the VCR in (?) Just theory as ive never done it that way .. but would be good to know. What model Mux did you use?

Ive used Kalatel Muxes in the past that worked well, now they are sold under GE Security. I still have some of them in the field, with single channel DVRs.

Rory

Used some old Sensormatic RV2216. It actually says how to do it in the manual. Unfortunately it doesn't split the picture when it demux's it. It will only display on the main monitor. I can find all kinds of mux /demuxers for fiber, but nothing that uses coax.

Those are simplex, they don't have the ability to show multi camera views and record simultaneously. If you aren't going to be recording you should be able to get multi view unless they are very old. If you use two duplex muxs you should be able to record and do multi view.

AVCONSULTING,

Please read the post for the requirements I am looking for. I don't want to record multiplexed video. I want it de-multiplexed so that the individual video signals can each be put on a monitor or routed into a matrix switcher. And, the RV2216 are duplex.

with the VCR in, are you watching it on playback mode or live mode?

I think it is doable but you would have to switch to playback mode to view and control the demuxed signal .. at least if using GE muxes .. theory only though.

Rory

It actually has a special sync mode. You can attach local cameras for viewing and remote cameras coming in multiplexed then switch between local or remote.

Sorry, I didn't read the post well enough. Can't be done. Multiplexers will not separate the signals out into 16 individual outputs. Only thing I ever saw that would work on coax was an old American Dynamics system and they were discontinued years ago. You'd have to search for some used ones. Plus the American Dynamics time shared the signals so you would have significant frame loss.

Best bet is to pull fiber if at all possible.

it cant be done on your existing setup.

Sure it can, it just wouldn't be all that cheap.

You can install modulators to inject the feeds into the coax on the add-on side and use filters (or UHF/VHF tuners) on the other end to break them back apart.

The problem is the modulators are like $80/channel so doing it with 16 cameras will be pricey.

If you just wanted to add a couple of cameras onto a garage that already had CATV it would be a breeze for about $250 maybe less.

you could use 16 muxs at the receive end and dedicate one to demux each camera. These muxs are very cheap on ebay. But there would still be frame loss. Why do you need them on 16 seperate monitors? Is this to save money or time?