floridaguy

Hikvision NVR and Camera Pre-Installation Questions

I recently purchased a Hikvision DS-7608NI-SE/8P NVR and 3 Hikvision DS-2CD2132-I domes and I had a few questions for the experts.

1. Other than future capacity is Cat6 going to provide any benefit over Cat5e for the 60-80 feet from the cameras back to the NVR? or the 20 or so feet from the NVR to my home gigabit router?

2. Which is better for that 60-80 foot run, stranded or solid core Cat cable?

3. Will I need outdoor rated Cat cable for the Florida heat and humidity for a soffit installation and attic(130+deg?) run?

4. Will I need anything special other than an HDMI cable to output the Hikvision DS-7608NI-SE/8P NVR to a Sony tv for simple live viewing?

5. Once I set up my system I plan to run my cables and the NVR(noise, out of sight) to a closet and remotely administer all of its functions from a PC on my network. Has anyone had good luck managing your system that way? I do not want to see or fiddle physically with the NVR except for rare occasions.

Tom

1. Other than future capacity is Cat6 going to provide any benefit over Cat5e for the 60-80 feet from the cameras back to the NVR? or the 20 or so feet from the NVR to my home gigabit router?

Cat6 is slighter thicker gauge wire, if you were going to run 10GigE, it would makes sense. Doesn't cost that much more, than Cat5e, so up to you but most cameras use 100Mbps, so GigE is the most you may come up against.

2. Which is better for that 60-80 foot run, stranded or solid core Cat cable?

Stranded is use for patch cables, not for runs.

3. Will I need outdoor rated Cat cable for the Florida heat and humidity for a soffit installation and attic(130+deg?) run?

Outdoors I use foil shielded burial grade, but may be overkill but mostly to deter vermin from chewing through it because it tastes bad because the waterproof gel and metal foil.

4. Will I need anything special other than an HDMI cable to output the Hikvision DS-7608NI-SE/8P NVR to a Sony tv for simple live viewing?

Most NVR's have HDMI out. Most also use a mouse to control the screen but you can use a wireless mouse and plug the dongle in.

5. Once I set up my system I plan to run my cables and the NVR(noise, out of sight) to a closet and remotely administer all of its functions from a PC on my network. Has anyone had good luck managing your system that way? I do not want to see or fiddle physically with the NVR except for rare occasions.

My NVR PC is in a cabinet, access the cameras from client software on a different PC.

I received my NVR and domes today and I wanted to get an opinion on a SATA drive.

Is the following drive a good choice for a Hikvision DS-7608NI-SE/8P? Anyone have any other suggestions if that is not a good fit?

http://www.amazon.com/WD-Red-NAS-Hard-Drive/dp/B008JJLZ7G/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1377130794&sr=1-3&keywords=sata+hard+drive

It looks as though people are saying to stay away from the WD greens and go for a WD red for 24/7 read/write with their normal application being for a NAS.

The spec sheet says it supports up to 2 - 4TB drives.

http://www.hikvision.com/UploadFile/image/2013052207022774584.pdf

Hard disk

Type: 2 SATA interfaces for 2 HDDs

Capacity: Up to 4TB capacity for each disk

Green drives are fine. Low heat, low rpm is perfectly fine. A lot of manufacturers have moved to only making intellipower type drives and not stating the rpm. Additionally They are hardly any slower for sequential I/O. Maybe 10%; something you will never notice.

They are slower when it comes to latency/IOps though, but sequential I/O is very good for 5400rpm and 5900rpm drives. Their data density is so high, they even beat 10.000rpm disks with Sequential I/O, even though they only spin half as fast the data density makes up for it. So the preferred medium to store large bulky files on (i.e. dvr), is 5400/5900rpm drive. 7200rpm+ drives are quickly becoming less useful and eventually will disappear. The new WD Green's have at least 1TB platters, so 1-platter for 1.0TB, 2 for 2TB and 3 for 3TB. The speed doesn't increase with the number of platters, but it increases as the data density increases. Thus higher-capacity platters will result in higher sequential I/O.

This is why almost damn near everything has been running on 5900 rpm drives. An example of this is WD Red drives the "highly recomended" drives for NAS are identical from a physical stand point as the greens. A couple of tweaks to the firmware, and a new product line was born. Except its the SAME product!

For reference the green does park the head quicker than the red drives, other than that there is no difference between the red and green drives. In fact western digital and othe rmanufactuers used to have a utility to adjust the tler timing but they killed it off in the later firmware drives due to it was actually costing them money. Anyway the tler settings wont affect you in this for what you are doing. You're more likely going to get a noisy bearing then have a head crash.

Here is the list of tested hard drive with that NVR.

http://www.hikvision.com/en/support_more.asp?id=236

I bought a Seagate 5900rpm 3TB NAS HDD (Model ST3000VN00) for mine but am wondering about returning it for a 7200 rpm drive. I looked at the Seagate 7200rpm 3TB Video Surveillance HDD (Model ST3000VX000) but the reviews on Newegg were pretty abysmal with a high rate of the drives dying in the first couple of months of use.

Thanks!

Back in the day, people had trouble with green drives and lower RPM drives not being able to keep up with an assortment of cams. This seems to be mostly gone now, as many NVRs are coming with green/slower RPM drives installed from the factory.

It may be better performing disk subsystems, or better interfaces on the HD in general, but this doesn't appear to be the issue it was some years ago. It might be worth going with a slower green drive to help keep the case temps down and contribute to overall reliability.

After some great suggestions/input I ended up with a http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3580092&CatId=139 while it was on sale for $139. I installed the drive, ran HDMI to a 32" TV for playback and live viewing, mounted one of the domes and plugged another in so I could tweak the settings. I followed the steps shown here

and now I have a couple of questions about my whole system before I continue.

1. Under normal outside day/night conditions, what are the recommended in-camera tweaks I should set before plugging them into my NVR?

2. Based on the pictures below do I have the latest firmware for both my NVR and domes?

3. Using only the NVR and the one 3TB drive inside it, is it possible with a Hikvision DS-7608NI-SE/8P to record continuous(all the time) and motion triggered events(motion detection) on the same camera without the use of a NAS or external drive? I want all the video captured but want to watch the detected motion and only review all the footage if anything important is captured.

I have included a few pictures for the questions above and one to show the cushion mounts I used on the NVR to make it super quiet. This keeps the drive from making metal to metal contact with the chassis so that it does not cause the NVR to "hum" while spinning and it allows a little more air underneath for a cooler drive. The other picture is of my driveway before any adjustments or NVR video quality settings. I have since raised and moved it slightly to catch street traffic and anyone wanting to walk in between the house to access the back. I am placing cameras for the other side, back, and front door. Sorry about the picture quality, I was doing this from a laptop connected to my NVR and an iPhone and then emailing them to myself.

camera.thumb.jpg.8183061dd923711a9e5e30c1e39ac7ff.jpg

cushion.thumb.JPG.bd0618277eddb8a91f64f1ba903bb650.JPG

nvr.thumb.jpg.bd41237d700308ff62c5a79c6cd5c849.jpg

Edited by Guest

2. Based on the pictures below do I have the latest firmware for both my NVR and domes?

3. Using only the NVR and the one 3TB drive inside it, is it possible with a Hikvision DS-7608NI-SE/8P to record continuous(all the time) and motion triggered events(motion detection) on the same camera without the use of a NAS or external drive? I want all the video captured but want to watch the detected motion and only review all the footage if anything important is captured.

2) See here for the latest version that I use: http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Product%20Firmware/DVR%20NVR/DS-76xxNI-SE/

3) Yes, setup both type, cont & motion.

Floridaguy,

You have the exact setup I am considering and I am curious how you like it after a few months of use? Anything you would do differently if you had the chance?

I'm torn on the NVR since I will eventually need more then 8 cameras.

Thanks

Shawn

This was my first home security purchase and I am very happy with my Hik NVR and domes. I had lurked the site for a week or so just reading posts and then asked a few questions and ultimately decided on those items after reading some posts made by a user on this site. I followed some links to a review site and found a link to an online store.

I assume most NVRs are able to do this but I like that I can control/manage my NVR from within a web browser both inside my network at home and outside my network away from home. I also did the trick like others have suggested by running a network cable to an open POE port on my NVR so that I can work directly with each camera for extra settings not available through the NVR itself. I mounted a 32" TV on the wall in my bedroom and split the signal with a long HDMI cable through the attic to a TV in the living room. Now while sitting in bed or on the couch I just select the HDMI input on the TV and my cameras pop up. While in the living room it is only 2-3 seconds for them to appear on screen going from regular TV to the cameras and I can easily switch back and forth if I need to see outside without getting up.

My only running issue is that I am unable to view the video feed while outside my home network from within a browser. I can connect to the NVR itself and make changes and do everything except see the video in the window. The iPhone app also works great.

The only thing I would have done differently would be that I wish I had bought one more dome originally, something like a varifocal with sound for the front door so that I could position it just where I wanted and set the FOV just tight enough for the location and capture that area much clearer.

My only running issue is that I am unable to view the video feed while outside my home network from within a browser. I can connect to the NVR itself and make changes and do everything except see the video in the window.

That's like, a huge issue. What have you tried to problem solve that? What browser and all? Are you all set up correctly with DDNS?

Do you have the substream option available? Without it, you may have issues getting any video appear in the smartphone app.

I had that option disappear and had to do a couple of things to get it back. See this thread for more info-> http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=38038

I posted in that thread and my substream has returned and all works great except for the video feed. The iPhone app works great and I use it all the time.

My only running issue is that I am unable to view the video feed while outside my home network from within a browser. I can connect to the NVR itself and make changes and do everything except see the video in the window.

That's like, a huge issue. What have you tried to problem solve that? What browser and all? Are you all set up correctly with DDNS?

Here is my info from another thread I started. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=38020

I don't use DDNS as I have a static IP that changes maybe once a year.

I have tried Chrome and IE.

Hi,

You are going to need to get in to your router to redirect network traffic on port 80 to the NVR or pick some unused port and redirect that to port 80 on your internet network to the IP address of the NVR. Have you tried this yet?

I only opened up ports 8000 and 5544 to get the smartphone app working. I use OpenVPN to get into my network if I need to get direct browser access to the NVR from my smartphone.

Do you have the substream option available? Without it, you may have issues getting any video appear in the smartphone app.

I had that option disappear and had to do a couple of things to get it back. See this thread for more info-> http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=38038

I posted in that thread and my substream has returned and all works great except for the video feed. The iPhone app works great and I use it all the time.

I think your issue might have to do with browser config instead of network config. What version of IE do you have on the computer that can't view the video stream? Have you modified the Active X settings in IE? Since you can check and change settings just fine in the browser, I doubt that your issue has anything to do with ports.

This was my first home security purchase and I am very happy with my Hik NVR and domes. I had lurked the site for a week or so just reading posts and then asked a few questions and ultimately decided on those items after reading some posts made by a user on this site. I followed some links to a review site and found a link to an online store.

I assume most NVRs are able to do this but I like that I can control/manage my NVR from within a web browser both inside my network at home and outside my network away from home. I also did the trick like others have suggested by running a network cable to an open POE port on my NVR so that I can work directly with each camera for extra settings not available through the NVR itself. I mounted a 32" TV on the wall in my bedroom and split the signal with a long HDMI cable through the attic to a TV in the living room. Now while sitting in bed or on the couch I just select the HDMI input on the TV and my cameras pop up. While in the living room it is only 2-3 seconds for them to appear on screen going from regular TV to the cameras and I can easily switch back and forth if I need to see outside without getting up.

My only running issue is that I am unable to view the video feed while outside my home network from within a browser. I can connect to the NVR itself and make changes and do everything except see the video in the window. The iPhone app also works great.

The only thing I would have done differently would be that I wish I had bought one more dome originally, something like a varifocal with sound for the front door so that I could position it just where I wanted and set the FOV just tight enough for the location and capture that area much clearer.

Thank you for the feedback on the system. Do you recall what lens you ended up going with on the dome? I'm trying to decide on either the 2.8 or 4mm for my setup.

I think your issue might have to do with browser config instead of network config. What version of IE do you have on the computer that can't view the video stream? Have you modified the Active X settings in IE? Since you can check and change settings just fine in the browser, I doubt that your issue has anything to do with ports.

--------

I will check again tomorrow at work but I tried both Chrome and IE. I lowered the overall security level in IE and chose either prompt or allow for any setting that looked like it mattered in the ActiveX area. I am going to take my personal laptop to work and try it as I know it works with both browsers inside my network.

chose either prompt or allow for any setting that looked like it mattered in the ActiveX area

You should only tweak what is recommended for your nvr.

I am going to PiggyBack on this thread since it very similar to the issue that I'm having...

If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated:

I just installed a new Hikvision DS-7608 8 Port NVR. Attached are 5 Hikvision bullet cameras running off of PoE. The VNR & cameras are running great with no issues. The camera's all have the latest v5.x firmware. I can access the NVR via iVMS4200 and Firefox just fine internally. The issues is when I "try" to setup the remove viewing from my Phone (Galaxy Note 2 (Android) using GDMMS. I have successfully setup and having been using this app on other systems with no problems.

I researched the site, google, etc.. with no luck to get this to work remotely with no luck. I've rebooted the NVR, phone & router about a dozen times..

Here is the configuration that I have currently:

- Home network is 10.1.1.xxx

- Asus AC66U Router

- Hikvision NVR: 10.1.1.xxx

- Hikvision Camera's: 10.1.3.xxx (Preset by the NVR)

- NVR Config: Port 8000 & 90 are set (Default port 80 was changed to 90 because my Comcast ISP restricts port 80)

- I validated my routers IP: via "whatsmyip"

- Port 8000 - Port Forwarded and tested via: "Canyouseeme"

- Port 90 - Port Forwarded and tested via: "Canyouseeme"

- Port 8120 - Port Forwarded and tested via: "Canyouseeme" Only because I read it on the web, thought I'd try it..

- Port 554 - Port Forwarded and tested via: "Canyouseeme" Only because I read it on the web, thought I'd try it..

- Port 5544 - Port Forwarded and tested via: "Canyouseeme" Only because I read it on the web, thought I'd try it..

- Firewall & Antivirus is also disabled for testing

- Validated that the NVR & Cameras are still set to 8000

Using GDMMS, I put in my routers IP, port 8000, and use the admin account & password that is assigned on the NVR... still no joy...

Thoughts...??

I put in my routers IP, port 8000, and use the admin account & password that is assigned on the NVR... still no joy

change port 8000 to port 8080 and see if better

Update: Here is what I just tried...

- Change port 8000 to 8080 - Port forward in router, validated via Canyouseeme, rebooted router, NVR

- Change port on GDMMS on phone to 8080, using admin & password ........ still no joy

- Change port 554 to 65533 - Port forward in router, validated via Canyouseeme, rebooted router, NVR, phone... no joy..

- HTTP port is 90... still a no go... WTF.. I've done this a million times, what can I be missing...

Update: Here is what I just tried...

- Change port 8000 to 8080 - Port forward in router, validated via Canyouseeme, rebooted router, NVR

- Change port on GDMMS on phone to 8080, using admin & password ........ still no joy

- Change port 554 to 65533 - Port forward in router, validated via Canyouseeme, rebooted router, NVR, phone... no joy..

- HTTP port is 90... still a no go... WTF.. I've done this a million times, what can I be missing...

check gateway