RoDDy

Milestone Smart Client Issue

Hi Guys,

I recently installed the Milestone software on an HP Pro Storage video server with 16TB at RAID 5 (13TB usable) with 12GB of RAM. Currently, I have 17 total Axis P3364LV IP cameras and they are powered via a 3524GT Avaya PoE Switch. The problem I am experiencing is that when i am accessing the server directly in the smart client, if i have a view showing all of the cameras it takes a while before I can do anything when transitioning from full screen of one camera back to the grid view showing all of the cameras.

I have to wait until a message saying "Connected to camera X on 127.0.0.1:80" disappears from all of the camera screens before I can click around.

For remote viewing via remote desktop or by using the smart client on a remote PC over the network it is far worse and really unusable. There isnt much that I can do at all remotely.

Is there a way to optimize this somehow to speed it up or something?

Please help as the help support is not very helpful. Can anyone assist me with this? Thanks in advance.

Hi Guys,

I recently installed the Milestone software on an HP Pro Storage video server with 16TB at RAID 5 (13TB usable) with 12GB of RAM. Currently, I have 17 total Axis P3364LV IP cameras and they are powered via a 3524GT Avaya PoE Switch. The problem I am experiencing is that when i am accessing the server directly in the smart client, if i have a view showing all of the cameras it takes a while before I can do anything when transitioning from full screen of one camera back to the grid view showing all of the cameras.

I have to wait until a message saying "Connected to camera X on 127.0.0.1:80" disappears from all of the camera screens before I can click around.

For remote viewing via remote desktop or by using the smart client on a remote PC over the network it is far worse and really unusable. There isnt much that I can do at all remotely.

Is there a way to optimize this somehow to speed it up or something?

Please help as the help support is not very helpful. Can anyone assist me with this? Thanks in advance.

your config is probably not powerful enough for what you're running

What happens when you only have a few cameras enabled?

Does it get worse the more cameras that you add?

What does the CPU usage meter do each time you add a camera?

Is it maxed out when you have all cameras enabled?

What are the specs of the HP PC?

yeah and CPU usage on the PC when he's using the smart client, the mobile server uses the servers's CPU, so if it's "terrible" while he's remotely accessing then you probably find it's maxing the servers ECU too.

(cut).. on an HP Pro Storage video server with 16TB at RAID 5 (13TB usable) with 12GB of RAM. ..(cut)..

but what and how many disks are you using for the Live storage? ("Primary Database")

Ok.. "13TB" is the "Archive Database"..but how many and what is/are the HDs used for the "PrimaryDatabase"? (the Live disk..in other words..)

My CPU usage seems pretty normal when i look at it. I will try to take a screen shot and post here.

When i have a 2x2 view and accessing the server directly i can transition from full to grid screen pretty quickly but the more cameras i have on the grid in say a 4x4 view, it takes a while when transitioning. I currently have all of the cameras set to max resolution as well in the camera properties. Not sure if that makes a difference but if i reduce the resolution the picture quality gets worse.

sorry, by CPU usage I mean CPU usage on the machine your running the smart client on, not the server.

at full resolution your PC is attempting to decode 17 x High def screens live, that's quite a task.

sorry, by CPU usage I mean CPU usage on the machine your running the smart client on, not the server.

at full resolution your PC is attempting to decode 17 x High def screens live, that's quite a task.

See attached. CPU usage was fluctuating between 7% and 34% it average is about 15%. When I have it was these 15 cams in view it doesnt even show all of them. The white squares are cams that have shown up which i blanked out, while the remaining cams just say "connected to camname on ip address of server". While this is going on some that are showing blank out to display that msg as well.

282575512_CPUUsage.thumb.jpg.d98b626bea06abf58badbf5e577f186c.jpg

The smart client default setting is to display cameras at full resolution, which is unnecessary, and often causes problems.

Go into the settings in the smart client and try changing each camera down to a lower display resolution (it doesn't affect the recordings, just how it displays).

It seems as though there is an option to have MPEG and/or MJPEG for the video. Would this affect anything depending on the choice i make?

The smart client default setting is to display cameras at full resolution, which is unnecessary, and often causes problems.

Go into the settings in the smart client and try changing each camera down to a lower display resolution (it doesn't affect the recordings, just how it displays).

I tried to test your theory and changed the video quality from full to medium and frame rate from unlimited to medium, and monitored the CPU and it stayed the same. I tried restarting Smart Client, same thing, about 30% CPU for me, 8 cameras. This is Smart Client running on a different PC than Milestone server processes but same LAN. Am I missing something?

I haven't seen the change in quality affect anything really (maybe it results in less bandwidth)?

Buell, what's your performance on client like with the 8 cams? With 4 1080P cams my performance is pretty good.