bucket772

2 Cameras, no NVR, remote viewing, ddns issues

I've looked a bit but most posts regarding remote viewing seem to involve a NVR.

SETUP:

2 Hikvision Bullets

1 zyxel POE Switch

1 Verizon FIOS Router (actiontec)

1 Airport Extreme

Both cameras are viewable from my home network. I have a 3 no-ip.com ddns hosts setup. I just want to be able to log into each camera. Cant seem to figure out how as all my efforts point to the same camera. My questions are these

1) Do I setup each camera to report to its own address ie... Cam1.no-ip.biz and Cam2.no-ip.biz using the built in DDNS tab

or

2) just one ddns pointing to the router and leave the DDNS on the cameras off.

or

3) do I need to do all three?

I assume option 1 I need to change the ports. Which I tried but it seems to be blocked. I believe that I have the ports forwarded correctly but I could be wrong. I only changed the SDK port on the camera form 8000 to 8001 and 8002. When I forward them in the router and put in my IP:8001 it gives me an error.

I think I got in to deep changing ports and what not now I can get to the cameras and am getting a abnormal netowrk

I'm a little confused, so let me tell you what you have to port forward from default settings. You need to port forward ports 80, 8000 and 554. You can change these but in the end, if one of these ports is not forwarded, it won't work.

Not actually sure how you have everything setup but hopefully this will help.

You only need one no-ip.com ddns setup. This should point to your gateway for your home network.

On your router/gateway forward the ports to cameras. Each camera should have a unique IP address and port. If you are sharing your camera network with your home network then you will also need to make sure the ports you have chosen are not being used by other devices. ie gaming pc, xbox, or maybe nas.

Keep me posted

Not actually sure how you have everything setup but hopefully this will help.

You only need one no-ip.com ddns setup. This should point to your gateway for your home network.

On your router/gateway forward the ports to cameras. Each camera should have a unique IP address and port. If you are sharing your camera network with your home network then you will also need to make sure the ports you have chosen are not being used by other devices. ie gaming pc, xbox, or maybe nas.

Keep me posted

Each camera has been changes 192.168.1.201 and 202. I want the ports to be 8001 for the .201 camera and 8002 for the .202 camera

Do I just change the SDK port in the camera config tab? Can the other ports remain the same for both cameras or do they all have to be unique?

When I type my verizon IP address in the url bar and :8001 or :8002 at the end it times out

Should I be setting the ddns on the cameras also?

---EDIT---

If i put my public IP in and :80 at the end I can get into one of the cameras

and a port scan shows both 8001 and 8002 open

I don't really know these cameras so take it with a grain, but usually If you have port 80 to forward in the cameras, I think you need to change the 80 port for the second camera. So if one camera has port 80 forwarded, the other needs to have 83, or 85, or 89 for example. Then as suggested above with needing only one no-ip address, you type that address in your browser to hit the 80 camera, and then :85 [or whatever you set the second camera to] added to the end of your one, same no ip address to hit the other camera. The no-ip is pointing to your gateway- your home. Typing : xx to the end of it points to certain sticks of furniture in your home- your cameras being those sticks of furniture.

Not sure about the 8000 port. It could have everything to do with that port. Like I said, don't know these cameras.

I haven't had time to set my camera up yet. So I'm only providing generitc network information. That said try a lower port number as shockwave mentioned. Its possible the camera doesn't like the higher port numbers. Sounds like you are on the right track. And yes the sub stream port will also need to be unique.

Also if the router doesn't have ddns you only need to set it up one camera. It's purpose is to report to the gateway ip address to the no-ip dns every few minutes. You really only need one device doing this.

Edited by Guest

You also need to enable DDNS in your router and input your no-ip host name and password, as your router will act as the updater for no-ip.

Yes. That is done. I just changed the .202 camera HTTP port to 82. I can now get to both cameras. However when I try to access the camera directly from my network, it will give me the camera login page but says abnormal network. I thnkk this has to do with the web port not being 80. Does that make sense?

Just did some more testing before I hit post..

if I enter the local IP followed by the modified http port I can get in. It seems that I can't without it as it gives me an "abnormal network" error

So it looks like it was an issue with the same http port. I was under the assumption that it was the 8000 port that I had to address and not the http port. Perhaps because I am using the web interface?

IDK

Looks like it is all working though.

Thanks for the help

BTW if I have something wrong please let me know

Again, for each camera, you must setup 3 ports for this to work. So let me give you a real world example.

I have a camera at 192.168.0.86, I want to view this remotely. So I setup HTTP port to 9000, the SDK port to 9001, the rtsp port to 9002. I then port forward this range, 9000-9002 to that IP address of 192.168.0.86. The second camera 192.168.0.87, set http port to 9003, SDK port to 9004, rtsp port to 9005 and then I port forward that range to 192.168.0.87. Then go to whatsmyip.org, it will tell you the wan address. Say is 75.75.75.75, so from a browser, outside your home network, go to http://75.75.75.75:9000/ and it will show the first camera, then go to 75.75.75.75:9003 and that will show your second camera.

Ill give that a shot. I did have all the ports that you mentioned forwarded. maybe the problem was that some of the ports were the same on both cameras.

I will change them as you list and report back.

thanks

Success

I think I was confusing the SDK port with the HTTP port at first.

I still get an "abnormal network" when I try to access the camera via web browser and do not include the port number. Not a big deal however. It will give me the login screen, it will just not let me login.

Thanks Guys

Hikvision does some weird stuff with browsers and holds some stuff in cache, so when you make big changes, it may still have stuff in memory. I tried everything with IE to clear this but still linger. I actually have better luck with Hikvision using Firefox in Windows or from Safari on my Mac.

Yea. Photographer by trade so Mac is my OS of choice. But I cut my teeth on an 8088 IBM clone. Hikvision is not really Mac friendly. I run XP on VMware. Couldn't even find the cameras at first. Had to change VMware from NAT to Bridged to get everything on the same subnet. But got that working.

Oh and the middle of all this there were issues when I started plugging in Apple Airports to my ZyXEL switch. Drug the network to a crawl, if it would work at all. Everything seems to be OK now. I have the iVMS-4200 running on the desktop, and iVMS-4500 on the iPad with no issues so far. I think the 4200 client for Mac is buggy. I get a lot of spinning beach balls but over all it is ok.

Next step is to FreeNAS an old laptop I have to use a 2TB external as a NAS to dump the cameras to.

I tried running the software but its such a resource hog that it makes it unusable.

Again, thanks everybody for the help. Both on this thread and all the others that I have scoured the past few weeks when it came to buying gear. I know so much more now, yet still feel so uneducated in this field.

Dave

Yea. Photographer by trade so Mac is my OS of choice. But I cut my teeth on an 8088 IBM clone. Hikvision is not really Mac friendly. I run XP on VMware. Couldn't even find the cameras at first. Had to change VMware from NAT to Bridged to get everything on the same subnet. But got that working.

Dave

Actually Hikvision is pretty mac friendly, works well with Safari and you probably already know this but OS X runs on top of BSD Unix, so NFS is already installed and works on OS X, so no reason you can't have the cameras write to an NFS share on your Mac. I haven't tried it, but the camera did recognize the share and showed the space for it, but I have a small Macbook Air with an SSD drive, didn't want to use it for that purpose. I will give you that their SADP camera finder program only runs on Windows, one reason many Mac people keep Windows on the side with Fusion or Parallels.

I'm trying to get the Hikvision mobile app to see a camera without an NVR. Does the mobile app work without a NVR.

All ports are forwarded but no luck viewing. The mobile app keeps getting a connection failed error. I do have an Dahua NVr that is work fine.

I have not tried using their app, but IP Cam Viewer on Android works well with Hikvision. I believe it only wants the RTSP port for it (vs. 3 ports via a web browser).

Same error... I must be missing something in the camera config.

I have tcp port setup on my Dahua. It seems to be the only port responding externally. I'm not sure what the difference is between a ports tcp and rtsp port.

Hikvision's app (ivms 4200) only needs rtsp port and server port (sdk) opened, does not need the http port behind the ip/domain name like you do in a browser. So if you enter http://108.9.10.23:85 on a browser, you only need 108.9.10.23 in iVMS4200.

And the port that it asks for when you are at the device adding page is the server port (sdk port) but you still need rtsp opened to see the video.

Secondly, the default RTSP 554 seemed to have issue for some US mobile customers (AT&T and Verizon), change it to another number.

The camera won't stream video externally. The camera doesn't respond to a port check.

I've even went as far as shutting down my Dahua dvr and used that port.

Back tracking a bit. I have a mobile app for my Dahua dvr and it works. But I cannot use a browser to access the Dahua dvr. I know for a fact this was working at one point. Looks like I need to make a call to my ISP and see if they have started blocking http ports. Still doesn't explain why the mobile app works...

I figured it out. Geeez what waste of a day. I completely forgot when I got my new internet provider their wireless gateway sucked so I routed to my existing gateway. To make a long story short. I had to forward the port in on both routers.