smcctv

Cate 5e vs Cat 6

Hi all,

Whats the advantage of using CAT6 over CAT5E if im just powering x8 IP Cameras over a property? as they produce the same result?

Regards

Vic

I guess you will be fine with cat 5e.

IP cams are 100mb, that is cat 5e specification.

Many 1000mb networks use cat 5e.

If you pass strong EMF sources like smart meters the shielding of cat 6 might help a little. It would be wise though to eliminate EMF sources that are so strong they interfere for health reasons.

The biggest differences are the gauge of the wire (cat6 is one gauge thicker) and the twist of the pairs is different because the frequency is a bit higher. The tighter twist reduces cross talk on very busy networks (and I count most IP video as busy since it is always sending traffic).

I have used CAT-6 in cases where I needed to get a bit farther away than the engineering spec allows for (100 meters) because it allowed me to carry the POE voltage a little better. I do not recommend that for most installs, but this was a special case and a one time exception that was approved by the customer first.

That article is good and in depth.

On pretty much any decent size job I'm on with the company I work for, the electric contractor pulls all cat 6 for network including the ip cameras.

On my side work, it's usually small 2 cameras or so type stuff. I usually use cat5e. These are usually small businesses or residential.