Sign in to follow this  
lincoln81

who makes a good DVR bundle?

Looking for a 1 click purchase everything, if this is possible. I see on gagspot they have different systems and so does costco. Should I go with one of these or stay away and build my own?

I would like to have a 8 camera system, all outside Longest cable run will be about 100 ft, all cables will be running through the attic and coming into the house where I still need to find the best place to install the DVR. Would like to have night vision, up to 50ft maximum, cover the house on all 4 sides, the driveway for the vehicles, and the windows. Our house is monitored by a alarm

What wiring system do you recommend?

cameras?

dvr?

ect...

thanks folks

I would personally use N elly's stuff for that, but it depends on your budget. Costco sells a few decent options as well. The biggest problem with most of the budget packages is that the software on the DVR is kind of garbage. it works, but there is a lot of useful that you will not get. If all you want is live recording and playback with semi-decent motion detection (it won't be very good at filtering things like tress or shaky cameras) then go for it. I also would not plan on have more than 14-20 days of recorded video and you will have to output any evidence to a flash drive in most cases because it will not come with a CD or DVD burner.

I have to be honest, I've never been into the bundle thing... I've always purchased independent devices... Not really sure why

I have to be honest, I've never been into the bundle thing... I've always purchased independent devices... Not really sure why

Me too. I guess it often gives me the uncomfortable feeling of cheap camera models with too wide angled lenses (for wich they cannot provide extra lenses if you ask) and IR with perfect images in zero light claims and some DVR thrown into the bundle. Sold as a great deal to newcomers with the suggestion that the package will cover all the needs they might ever have. And that for a unbeatable budget price of a few hundred quid. It gives me the feeling that if something happens the footage is not there or will not cover the needs.

Maybe there are good bundles too.

so what do you guys recommend? lets build a system, and where can I buy?

I bought a Q-See bundle from Costco (SD). I am very happy with it, but like others said, there are things that you can't do and some flaws in the software (for example, I want to remove my swimming pool from the motion detection, even though I did it, the cameras are still being recorded if the water moves because of the wind...). That being said, for me needs it's almost perfect, and definitely a good purchase. I had to upgrade the hard drive to 2 TB to get about a month of recording (an extra $120).

I think this is like building a PC, if you know what you're doing, you should still consider whatever is available on the market, and do the math (could be cheaper to buy a bundle on sale, and upgrade one or two components). If you have no idea, do some research or buy a bundle; in a few years you can learn and upgrade as needed.

Looking for a 1 click purchase everything, if this is possible. I see on gagspot they have different systems and so does costco. Should I go with one of these or stay away and build my own?

I would like to have a 8 camera system, all outside Longest cable run will be about 100 ft, all cables will be running through the attic and coming into the house where I still need to find the best place to install the DVR. Would like to have night vision, up to 50ft maximum, cover the house on all 4 sides, the driveway for the vehicles, and the windows. Our house is monitored by a alarm

What wiring system do you recommend?

cameras?

dvr?

ect...

thanks folks

I bought this one a few months back. Added a couple of variable focus cameras and I'm happy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=81-338-096

If you want a system Bundles is NOT the way to go unless you want a compromise.

A bundle takes no account of your requirements, so all you get is a general purpose

system which is quite limited. Find a local dealer and they will advise what you need

and thats the sort of added value you will get dealing with professionals, and

not from the multinationals that want nothing but your money and offer little or no

help in selection.

Bundles are for lame-brains, no offense intended to any that have a bundle system... lol