buellwinkle

Warning on Firmware Updates - Hikvision/Derytech

I just want to let people know that have bought Derytech OEM Hikvision cameras or NVRs, currently being sold by someone that can't be mentioned here as Hikvision branded cameras but they are OEM. Even using firmware posted on his site does not work, found out the hard way.

Do not upgrade the firmware with regular Hikvision firmware. You have to get the firmware from Derytech. What happens is the firmware update completes, but it changes your admin password to something that hasn't been figured out yet. Then you have to get a password reset code from Hikvision.

If someone figured it out, please post here but nobody at Hikvision or Derytech has figured out what the admin password is.

lucky i only have 2 derytech cameras! glad i have not attempted to update firmware yet, or found the need to, as it seems to have all the functions that the 3mp cameras would have.

Will they supply the firmware on their site?

does this affect the ones sold by wrightwood

wrightwood cameras are derytech

I know this. Just confirming.

Im ok with this, The question I have is if we update the firmware, and do a hikvison one time reset, will that allow us to change the admin password, forever?

With a Hikvision reset code, you can change the password to what you want. This applies to [Mod: removed] and Wrightwood (OEM version, not Hikvision version).

not to be mixed up with derytech company ....... which have nothing to do with wrightwood

derytech in USA is not the same company (and there site has been down for 2 months)

I wish Hikvision would change the way they reset the passwords, make it somewhat user friendly.

We should just have to hold down the reset button and that should be it.

They just make more work for themselves and everyone this way.

They removed those from their site, only listing the Hikvision right now. (5th-sept-13)

not to be mixed up with derytech company ....... which have nothing to do with wrightwood

derytech in USA is not the same company (and there site has been down for 2 months)

Im aware of this...I know the cameras are derytech. I was just verifying that the issue will exist.

Im willing to experiment and try to TFTP the firmware and see what happens. Ideally what I want to see is if I tftp the official firmware (my derytech came with the same build number as the lates hikvision) will the admin pass stay or change.

If I do it through the web...will it stay or change. If it changes and i email hikvision for the master, then I could change it back but does it stick at that point in time.

It maybe going from one version to another that causes the problem. I had a similar problem with my nvr, until the last update which worked perfectly.

With the NVR firmware updating I experienced, it wasn't just the admin password that had changed, the actual admin id no longer existed.

The reset code created this again, along with a default password.

No I'm right, LOL. Really I am though. If the mod doesn't mind, I'll give you the history, if not, delete it.

I asked my distributor that sells many brands for Hikvision cameras, so the owner who also owns this other company in Taiwan, Derytech struck an OEM agreement with Hikvision to sell these as Derytech because selling them as Hikvision USA was $100/cam more.

I received the derytech firmware. Assuming its the same version that is installed on my derytech cameras 5.0.2_13805 there are huge differencs between that and the "offical" hikvision 5.0.2_13805. I will have to wait to get home to verify 100%

Edited by Guest

With the NVR firmware updating I experienced, it wasn't just the admin password that had changed, the actual admin id no longer existed.

The reset code created this again, along with a default password.

Right...and this has been fixed in the latest firmwares....which I suspect maybe what is going on here with these cameras.

Well that explains a lot in the differences from the official derytech and the official hikvision

the derytech firmware I just got was V5.0.0 130618 but the derytech camera shipped with V5.0.0 130719 (I swore it said 5.0.2 13805)

any way an attempt to flash the camera with the hikvision firmware via tftp worked and kept the password...duplicating now with screen shots....standby

Disclaimer and well a little fun:

This has been tested on a few cameras and it worked fine...but if it breaks your crap dont come cry to me about it...you knew the risks! No one here is responsible if you break, brick, set fire, punch, smash, stab, destroy, yourself, computer or your camera. The only person responsible is you! Just because it worked for me and others does not mean it will for you. Anytime you flash something its a risk.

There will be flashing:

Ladies and gentlemen... I've traveled over half our forum to be here tonight. I couldn't get away sooner because I had a camera coming in and I had to see about it. That camera is now flashed and running well. I have many others coming in and this method will be used to flash many of my devices. So, ladies and gentlemen... if I say my guide might work you will agree. You have a great chance here, but bear in mind, you can lose it all if you're not careful.

Out of all methods that beg for a chance to flash your camera, maybe one in twenty will work; the rest will be trolls-that's posters trying to get between you and the guide-to get some of the flashing action that ought by rights come to you. Even if you find one that has a simpler guide, and means to flash, they'll maybe know nothing about helping. This is... the way that this works. This method is may not be reliable like no other in this field and that's because its been its been barely tested and tested time and time again. I assure you, whatever the others promise to do, when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there...

My History:

Im an IT guy that's been in the field for a long time, more importantly im a tinkerer, from Xbox's, phones, remotes, slr cameras, and many other devices. Ive flashed and hacked a many, Ive also broke a few

Missing Admin Password history:

Ive had this password problem with the earlier hikvision nvr firmware updates. But it was fixed recently. With that being said I set out to see if I could flash this thing and retain the admin password.

Step 1: Upgrade to the latest derytech firmware, in this case I was provided V5.0.0 130618, (note: my cameras shipped with a newer version 5.0.0_130719), so I didn't upgrade hoping that the device was running a fixed firmware.

*Note regarding step one. If you have an old firmware going from the derytech to a new derytech could actually cause the same problem with the password. Happened on my NVR

Step 2: Download the latest hikvision firmware (as of writing 5.0.2_13805)

Step 3: Flash via the web interface. I didn't even have to use the TFTP

Notes:

If everything takes a dump you might be able to recover by tftping the orginal derytech firmware back to the device. You can grab the tftp files from hikvision Europe.

derypre.thumb.png.6a14c94e48ba8cbff05ff86e61bb7d58.png

derypost.thumb.png.1e1176219826084b914df0c20080564b.png

I notice that you flashed a DeryTech dome and I have the DeryTech bullet (NC-KBU32, f/w V5.0.0 130618) that was sold to me as a HikVision by Wrightwood. I don't suppose that makes a difference? And if the web flashing works without any special effort, why did buellwinkle raise the alarm in the first place?

You also mention the DeryTech firmware, but I have not been able to find it. Where might that be found?

Thanks to all for the heads up on this!

EDIT: Curious, too, that you have the HikVision logo on your config page prior to flashing...very surprising that an unbranded OEM camera would have that logo, isn't it? Mine sure doesn't. Are you certain that this camera wasn't flashed with a HikVision f/w prior to this test?

I pulled it out of the box I will gladly look at the other 12 I have you will have to give me a few though

Just pulled one out of the box...see the attached. I think its possible that when I flashed and flashed back and reflashed to take the pictures that it puts the picture there.....lets find out

Edit: that's exactly what happened. and as far as why buellwinkle posted about it. because I suspect that, he had an older firmware that had the bug in it that I spoke about above. The same type of bug affected me and joeyjoey. and hikvision has since fixed it. which is why I said actually flashing to a newer derytech firmware from an older version could actually cause the same problem that he talked about.

Ill flash this one clean from the box! Note: firmware version 5.0.0_130719

Flashed with hikvision 5.0.2_13805

Im going to downgrade to the dery firmware posted see if it goes away if it doesn't then ill tftp and see if it goes away. EDIT: It did see attached Flashed with the firmware buellwinkle provided me 5.0.0_130618

Flashed back to 5.0.2_130805

230246_1.png

5095501_derypre2.thumb.png.15c5b61969c735c2a98e4c36f274f2c3.png

1525538444_postdery.thumb.png.3fdaec98fa977da06c98e20d7298d215.png

dery3.thumb.png.f694f7bb04d447a5c876df84e1f9e38c.png

Edited by Guest

Awesome work, guys! Many thanks for your efforts. I feel like I might have dodged a bullet here [slight play on words]...

I've noticed that the reviews on these HikVision cameras seem to generate a great deal of interest for some reason, seemingly more so than the reviews of other cameras. It's good to have such outstanding community support to smooth out the inevitable bumps in the road, especially for us noobs.

EDIT: So I guess the take-away from this is that the DeryTech f/w prior to V5.0.0 130618 may have the admin password reset to some unknown value when flashed with either DeryTech or HikVision f/w, but that f/w V5.0.0 130618 or later is assumed to not have this problem? And that a potential remedy for the unknown password problem might be to tftp either the latest HikVision or DeryTech f/w ?

Correct you could try tftp method if you have the older and it may work. If it doesn't you'll have to do the one time pass reset via hikvisiom. I don't generally have a problem flashing stuff because I have rom readers, adapters, tracing utilities, boot loader hacking utilities all sorts of off the wall **** most of it acquired during programming ps1 and flashing gold key cards. So sometimes I might fail and brick something and it may be tossed other times its a success