Costco $899 Swann or $1299 Qsee 1080p system

I found these 2 systems on costco but know very little as to the advantage and disadvantage of the 2 systems. Could you guys help out.

I would like to use 3 camera around the house and plan on putting a camera in a detached garage about 50 feet away from the house.

$899 Swann 8Ch 2TB w/ 4 1080P IP Camera

http://www.costco.com/Swann-8-Channel-3MP-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-4-1080p-Cameras.product.100058520.html

$1299.00 QSee 8 Ch 2TB w/ 3 1080P IP Cameras and 1 PTZ (3x)

http://www.costco.com/Swann-8-Channel-3MP-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-HDD-and-4-1080p-Cameras.product.100058520.html

They are both good deals, depends on if you want the PTZ camera in the Q-See deal which is pretty cool and sells for $600 elsewhere by itself, so if you factor in the 3 cameras which are typically over $200 elsewhere, it's like getting the NVR for free. The Swann is 4 cameras that typically sell for $175 each, so not as good a deal if you split it out like the Q-See but still very nice cameras and cheaper than buying the pieces separately.

I saw the $899 Swann with 3MP, but Costco's listing is confusing to me.

Heading says 3MP NVR with 1080p cameras

Details say 1080p NVR with 3MP cameras

Is it full 3MP, cameras and recording? With HDMI output downscaled to 1080p?

Thanks, been on the fence for a long time on a system. Like the ACTi's but not the price, and really don't want analog...

Not clear what the OP needs. 'Around the house and in a garage' isn't enough. The qsee ptz seems good, but you'll need to use it in an area with plenty of light. It has no IR. For another 300 bucks added to the mix, I'd probably go with this one-

http://www.costco.com/.product.100069855.html?cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-itempageVerticalRight-_-CategorySiloedViewCP&cm_vc=itempageVerticalRight|CategorySiloedViewCP

Not clear what the OP needs. 'Around the house and in a garage' isn't enough. The qsee ptz seems good, but you'll need to use it in an area with plenty of light. It has no IR. For another 300 bucks added to the mix, I'd probably go with this one-

http://www.costco.com/.product.100069855.html?cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-itempageVerticalRight-_-CategorySiloedViewCP&cm_vc=itempageVerticalRight|CategorySiloedViewCP

That is too many cameras for my use at this point.

Was looking over the qsee pdf's and notice that cameras can be connected using a Local Network Connection using a router and POE splitter.

I could not find any mention of this connection option for the Swann system. Has anyone tried it with a Swann NVR?

The video output from the Swann/Lorex/Hikvision NVR systems are directly usable, no converting required, really easy to down the video clips from the web pages.

The Qsee video isn't particularly user friendly and relies on their software.

The video output from the Swann/Lorex/Hikvision NVR systems are directly usable, no converting required, really easy to down the video clips from the web pages.

Swann does not work without a NVR. You cant just buy a PoE and connect the Swann seperately. I've tried and failed to conclude that it doesn't work at all.

Swann does not work without a NVR. You cant just buy a PoE and connect the Swann seperately. I've tried and failed to conclude that it doesn't work at all.

This is 100% incorrect. You can take any of the swann poe cameras with their stock firmware and connect them to a POE switch. Install the swann PC nvr or the Hikvision nvr software and see them perfectly fine. They work with many many pieces of software and third party NVR....TRUST ME

They can also be flashed with the stock hikvision firmware, and connected back to the swann nvr to enable even more features....hell you can even take the swann nvr and the lorex nvr and flash them with hikvision firmware (not recommended due to potential weird issues but it can be done)

Im not even going to bother with proving this either because there are many on this board that will vouch for this!

With that being said, id go with the swann, your getting a better product, better support, and in my opinion better cameras

That is too many cameras for my use at this point.

If I had a nickle for every time I heard that one....

Yea that's what I said to when I bought the swann 8 port....now I have 15 cameras....

Just buy the swann. Their support is great, Costco is great, the video files don't require any special player, firmware is readily available, its easy to use, and the oem is hikvision so you can actually use their apps as well!

This is 100% incorrect. You can take any of the swann poe cameras with their stock firmware and connect them to a POE switch. Install the swann PC nvr or the Hikvision nvr software and see them perfectly fine. They work with many many pieces of software and third party NVR....TRUST ME

They can also be flashed with the stock hikvision firmware, and connected back to the swann nvr to enable even more features....hell you can even take the swann nvr and the lorex nvr and flash them with hikvision firmware (not recommended due to potential weird issues but it can be done)

Im not even going to bother with proving this either because there are many on this board that will vouch for this!

With that being said, id go with the swann, your getting a better product, better support, and in my opinion better cameras

In his defense, I run into the same problem with the Swann dome I bought and had to return it. None of the Hikvision tools could detect the camera and Swann told me it wouldn't work without a Swann NVR so though you or someone else might have successfully managed to get one working doesn't mean it will work for everyone. The company doesn't support it being used with another brand NVR or standalone.

You might have had a bad dome, I assure you it will work with other nvr. Of course swann doesn't support it and they shouldn't have to. Their blurb of may not work with out the nvr is their out clause. They can't be responsible if your connecting the camera you your own Poe and some random Network address scheme using some third party software. And hikvision won't support you either because its a swann branded camera