Razer_SE

New ACTi e and d series firmware out, 6.04.15

The new 6.04.15 firmware is out for the e series cameras, I know I tried it yesterday on 9 e32 cameras and it worked okay during the day, though I noted more falseing right off, then at night I was getting almost constant recording. I tried messing with the motion to raise the detection levels up as my motion was working fine before.

No real luck, I doubled the detection percentages on many cameras and was still getting almost constant recording. The firmware upgrade notes said they had made motion more sensitive but man, that was awful. I rolled back after looking at the amount of recording overnight.

As a note, my cameras have enough light at night they do not even go into night mode, so it was not a night vs day mode thing. Tried manually putting a camera in night mode, no improvement on the recording though.

Just thought I'd share my experience with it so far. I did not have the patience to mess with completely redoing every single motion window last night anyway.

I was having issues with my E42 cameras sending mail. Been working with ACTi and they got in last night and updated my firmware. Then this morning during breakfast I probably received over 200 emails in a short period of time. Sometimes I will get multiple emails from the same motion detection zone at the same time period. I wish there was a setting to stop that. I went in and turned off the notification for now.

Maybe you should open a support ticket with them. I oprobably will once I get another problem with 1 E42 I haev resolved.

I've had this running for a few days (actually got it early direct from ACTi) and I'm not having the over sensitivity issues, but I'm running this on 2 D-Series (Milestone has a bug with the E-series, but that was just recently fixed in the latest device pack) so I'll see if the E performs different when I mount that later today

The weird problem I had was that if I switch the E32 to MJPEG, within a second it changed it back to H.264 but on the D32, it stays in MJPEG mode.

I have two E72s. One was shipped with V6.03.15 on July, then I upgraded to V6.03.17. The second one was shipped with V6.04.15 on Aug (with hexagon screws). So far, two cameras run with different version, and I have not had any issue. But I do feel the V6.03.17 has better image.

My E53 is also running fine V6.03.17.

Just test only one out first, then...

I rolled my cameras back and they quit with the constant recording. I even set the motion windows back to be even more sensitive and it works fine now.

I went in a couple of the cameras while they were having this issue and looked to see which motion window was causing the issue. For example I found one of them being a quite large window set to 96% sensitivity and 1% motion. I moved it to 90% and 3% and was still getting nonstop recording and hits on that window. Moved it to 5% motion and it lessened, but still got way too much. Rolled the firmware back and the settings back to the 96% and 1% and it is fine now.

The firmware notes that it made the motion detection more sensitive, and they apparently meant it! I'll have to try the firmware elsewhere I guess and start completely over on motion and see what the new levels are.

As a side note, I moved back to installing more Vivotek cameras over the ACTi and am getting much better results overall right now. Motion detection and general image is usually better for whatever reason.

can someone test if the new d/e firmware will bring motion recording to avigilon?

i have tested the d/e cameras before but they were only onvif 2.0 i think...

cheers

Don't know but I've tested them with Exacq, Synology and Milestone and camera based motion detect works fine with the D & E series when setup as ACTi cameras (not via ONVIF).

For what it's worth, I turned ONVIF on my E32 with the latest firmware and ONVIF returned that it's using version 2.0 of ONVIF despite that the brochure that says 2.2. It may still be 2.2 and it's returning the wrong code.

Hi all - first post here.

I’m also having the same issue with the latest version - the camera triggers false motion detection events – approximately every 2 or 3 minutes. Frequently, when viewing the Video Motion Detection window, the activity timeline does not show any activity bars (Blue) exceeding the configured trigger thresholds, yet one or more of the motion detection regions are in BOLD outline - indicating they have been triggered.

When I playback the recorded false MD event video (from local storage) at the point of event trigger, it appears the camera has adjusted the exposure settings, which results in the overall image becoming brighter or darker. This sudden shift in image brightness apparently triggers the motion detection logic, thereby generating the false motion detection event. I’ve tried adjusting the Motion Detection sensitivity and trigger levels, but the false triggers continue and the low-sensitivity and high-trigger values effectively disable the motion detection feature.

I have since restored the E73’s firmware to V6.03.17 and the camera is performing with minimal false motion detection events, however with this version the camera crashes once a day – requiring a re-boot.

I submitted a case with ACTi and they’re investigating the issue. I’ll update you all when I hear back from ACTi.

I have the d32 cameras and I am getting very choppy performance with the old or new firmware and it always reverts back to mjpeg. I must be getting something like 1-5 fps with the higher res and only 640x360 is smooth. This problem is with both cams through ie or firefox.

Sounds like something is wrong because my D32 works fine with the new or old firmware. Actually, I had a minor issue with an E32 where it would keep going to H.264 where Milestone wanted it in MJPEG and would switch back by itself. Still happens, ACTi couldn't replicate it on their E32, but Milestone fixed their software to use H.264 with that camera so it's all good now.

I turned off the xprotect server and the camera will now stay in x264. It seems to operate smoothly when accessing the camera directly. The mjpeg mode is also improved but not really smooth at 15 fps. So yea maybe it was a bug with the milestone software. I'm going to do some more tinkering and updates this weekend. Not even sure if I will stay with xprotect yet.

thanks for the help

Edit: Now that the wind has picked up the cams are still choppy but improved after shutting off the server. Maybe its a bandwidth issue? However the hikvision cams are working fine. I also have my poe switch plugged directly into my gigabit router. Maybe its time to contact acti.

Ah, same problem I had. The fix is to install the new 6.9 Device Pack from Milestone, it all works well now and keeps it in h.264 mode. You don't really want to use MJPEG as it will end up using about 3-4x more bandwidth on your network and may impact the quality of the recordings.

As a note, my cameras have enough light at night they do not even go into night mode, so it was not a night vs day mode thing. Tried manually putting a camera in night mode, no improvement on the recording though.

I've got some cams where over-sharpening highlights the low light noise enough that it detects this as motion. This is mostly a problem as the light drops but the cam hasn't switched to night mode yet, and I get it for about 20-30 minutes at dusk.