spork947

30 awg safe for poe?

So I ended up not buying a long enough cable. I quickly ordered something else and just realized its only 30 AWG. The cam is only rated to use up to 7 watts but isn't that still a bit thin? I don't want to create any hazards.

Originally when I searched for poe compatible ethernet cables some nice looking SSTP/SFTP cables came up. I have them on the other 3 cams and just realized they are only 26 awg. I'm not sure how important the shielding is but I really should have stayed with the basic 24 awg cable. I'm thinking that these will still be ok though.

All my runs are 75 feet max. I didn't use outdoor cable either but I do have them tucked away from the rain and sun the best I can.

thanks

Edit: I also wanted to note that looking under the product specs on amazon states that the slim cable is safe for poe but I wanted to check a second opinion here

So I ended up not buying a long enough cable. I quickly ordered something else and just realized its only 30 AWG. The cam is only rated to use up to 7 watts but isn't that still a bit thin? I don't want to create any hazards

The 30AWG has about 5x more resistance per foot than 23-24AWG. However any slight increase in heat should be safely be distributed over the full length of the cable. Most cable jackets have a max temp rating printed on. If you're that concerned hook it up and see for yourself. You should do a test hookup anyways as the larger voltage drop could prevent the camera from working at all.

Why did you not just buy cat5 or 5e in the first place? just wondering as that cable can be found pretty cheap and then you know it will meet the current carrying requirements> Plus it is "standard" cable designed for off the shelf jacks and plugs.

Why did you not just buy cat5 or 5e in the first place? just wondering as that cable can be found pretty cheap and then you know it will meet the current carrying requirements

Actually this thin stuff is cat 6 rated. I ordered something quick without looking at the specs. I didn't realize there was that much variation in ethernet cables. I sort of did the same with the shielded cable but at least thats 26 awg. Shouldn't that be ok? The shielding sounded like a good idea and in theory it should be. I was going to order from mono price but I have prime shipping and amazon has been reasonable on cables so I didn't compare. The 26 and 30 both say 60 C on the jackets.

Although its working fine I'm going to pull the 30 awg cable. Its easy access unlike the first cable (26 awg) which I fished through the attic. I've been fairly stressed out trying to get all of this setup (4 cams + dvr). This was the last weekend I had until we leave on a trip for 2 weeks. Not sure if I will have time to get the last cam going with a new cable. I'm still working on the more fun half which was setting up the server pc and getting it configured for remote access.