goodie

Zooming distance coverage

Guys, For an IP PTZ Camera that I am looking for is to cover the region up to 180m.

Can anyone tell me what level of distance a zoom 26x can do? Is there any formula for it?

And, what is difference between optical zoom and digital zoom?

Thank you in advance.

Guys, For an IP PTZ Camera that I am looking for is to cover the region up to 180m.

Can anyone tell me what level of distance a zoom 26x can do? Is there any formula for it?

Thank you in advance.

Not sure about the distance, but optical zoom involves the physical movement of a sensor in respect to some glass, whereas digital zoom is like the iphone - electronically enlarging an image which will get pixel-ated very quickly. So optical zoom is what you want.

Never had a zoom that powerful, but with an 18X optical zoom from my balcony to an event about a block and a half away, maybe 500' away and 1080P resolution, the heads of people were only about 25-30 pixels high, not enough to identify them.

Here is my 20x zoom with distance pointed out, I have a 30x that is just a little better, but not more than you would think.

Io9P7nNYZmI

Here is my 20x zoom with distance pointed out, I have a 30x that is just a little better, but not more than you would think.

Agree about the digital zoom - you can get the exact same zoom after the fact without losing the big picture. I disable digital zoom on everything that uses it.

The interesting thing about 20x vs 30x is that 30x is only 1.5x more zoom than 20x. It sounds like a big increase (10x more!), but it's not. This is a frequent disappointment to people who spend a lot more money on relatively small increases.

Thank you in advance.

Forget zoom ratios. They are marketing talk and have no bearing on cctv design.

For instance a lens that has a 1mm to 26mm and one that has a 10mm to 260mm are both 26x lenses, but with completely different performance.

You need to work from calculation with screen width and height with your chosen sensor at your defined distance. This will give you your lens size to meet the operational requirement.

Ilkie

Also, different vendors focal length claims vary. So for example, I have a Dahua 12mm 3MP and a Hikvision 12mm 3MP and they are as much as 30% different from each other. So a 20X zoom, even if it's the same focal length will give you different results.