myrotfl

Mac software solution?

I have been scouring this forum and the Internet (Google is your friend, but you have to ask the right question or you get the wrong answer) and I have finally found a Mac OS solution that looks pretty good for a system it is from DC Complex their IP camera view / IP Camera Recorder software sounds pretty good and seems well reviewed (most of the Mac software solutions are not well reviewed and seem like crap). the URL is: http://dcomplex.com/mac/ip-camera-viewer/

BTW: They list some 30+ cameras, among them some of the more popular ones listed on this forum. Also they say they can support just about any ONVIF-compatible camera

I am still looking for a good front door solution. I want 2-way audio and to be able to see and talk with whoever is at the front door from my iPad.

I have an exclusive Mac networking my house, I have several Macintoshes, and I really have no use for a Windows computer (they are OK, I just am fully invested in Macintosh hardware and software and don't want to start investing in Windows)

For a front door solution I have been thinking about FaceTime, built-in to Mac OS and iPad and iPhone and in my testing it seems pretty good. The only downside is it requires the Internet to be up to work, so it is not a good stand alone solution. However there is a software solution by: http://appologics.com/airbeam called AirBeam which works on IOS and Mac OS devices and does not require Internet access to work. Now I just need to find an IP camera preferable PoE camera that I can use with it.

Any input, thoughts, help would be much appreciated.

Andy

Why do you want to use MacOS?

Best,

Christopher

I have been using Macintosh computers since 1984 (when they first came out). I have several Macintosh computers and several iDevices (iPhone, iPad, iPod) and many, many $$'s invested in software that runs on MacOS. I really see no reason to purchase a Windows system just for one function, and while I am sure Windows is OK (I use it at sometimes work), I don't have a lot of experience with Windows OS and really don't want to spend the $$'s on a different computer platform and software and I really don't want to devote the time to learn the insides of an additional OS.

One of the key criteria for any computer related device I purchase is that it must interact well with MacOS and IOS devices.

BTW: I have been reading more about AIrBeam, and it appears that it needs more work to be a viable solution. I will have to keep searching.

Still looking for an IP Camera (preferably PoE) that will work with FaceTime.

Just MHO, YMMV,

Andy

I've had Macs for a long time too, still have my Mac SE with B&W monitor built in. But here's the problem, the NVR PC needs to be on 24/7 and really nothing else running on it and no ability to go into any power saving mode. It would seem like a waste to buy a Mac solely for this purpose, not only due to the cost of the Mac but you'll be extremely limited in software choice, very little community support and it may limit the cameras choices as not all NVR software supports all cameras. So the best you can do is look for Windows based NVR software that can at least let you view the cameras and recordings via a web interface compatible with OS X and IOS. Or get an NVR that has a web interface compatible with OSX and IOS.

I really see no reason to purchase a Windows system just for one function, ...

Who said Windows? An Atom running Linux is cheap. And, regarding your comment about "one function", you really should consider designing a system for "one function."

If you stick to your guns to use MacOS, just be aware that the solutions are limited and if you encounter problems you will likely be on your own to solve them.

Best,

Christopher

I've had Macs for a long time too, still have my Mac SE with B&W monitor built in. But here's the problem, the NVR PC needs to be on 24/7 and really nothing else running on it and no ability to go into any power saving mode. It would seem like a waste to buy a Mac solely for this purpose, not only due to the cost of the Mac but you'll be extremely limited in software choice, very little community support and it may limit the cameras choices as not all NVR software supports all cameras. So the best you can do is look for Windows based NVR software that can at least let you view the cameras and recordings via a web interface compatible with OS X and IOS. Or get an NVR that has a web interface compatible with OSX and IOS.

@buellwinkle

Did you look at the DC Complex IP camera view / IP Camera Recorder software?. the URL is: http://dcomplex.com/mac/ip-camera-viewer/

BTW: They list some 30+ cameras, among them some of the more popular ones listed on this forum. Also they say they can support just about any ONVIF-compatible camera

The most important thing I want is a good Front Door solution with video, 2-way audio and IOS support so I can use my iPad to communicate with whomever is at the front door, while I make my way to the front door.

I am willing to buy a dedicated Mac Mini just for the purpose, in fact that is my intent.

@Christopher

When I said single function I meant that if the solution did not work out to my expectations I would still have a new Mac Mini to use for something else.

Do you know of a good Atom based computer that has the form factor (or almost) of a Mac Mini? I might consider an Atom based solution based on price and physical size. I really want small. I also don’t want to build a computer, I want an out of box computer, take it out, plug it in, warrantee by someone else.

Thanks to both of you for the input.

Andy

Do you know of a good Atom based computer that has the form factor (or almost) of a Mac Mini? I might consider an Atom based solution based on price and physical size. I really want small. I also don’t want to build a computer, I want an out of box computer, take it out, plug it in, warrantee by someone else.

The Zotac Atom is both very small and very low priced, but if you are looking for ease of setup, you should probably consider solutions other than the Zotac and Mac mini.

Best,

Christopher

The Zotac Atom is both very small and very low priced, but if you are looking for ease of setup, you should probably consider solutions other than the Zotac and Mac mini.

Best,

Christopher

So don't do the Zotac, what is a good small Atom based system.

Thanks,

Andy

So don't do the Zotac, what is a good small Atom based system.

Zotac is a great Atom solution. I got the impression you are looking for plug and play. I built a Zotac system for a friend and it has worked extremely well. Typically, you have to install memory and a hard drive. I did that in about four minutes. As I recall it was tool-less. Plus, you have to install an OS. I installed Windows which was pretty easy. Perhaps someone sells a ready to run Zotac out of the box; I'm not sure. My guess is that building a Zotac system and installing the OS will be easier than building an NVR on a Mac mini only because the Mac OS is such a rare bird in the surveillance world, which typically means you are on your own for any problem solving.

Best,

Christopher

I am willing to buy a dedicated Mac Mini just for the purpose, in fact that is my intent.

Hi. your link is just an app. you are going to need a PC to set up cameras in first place. and also to maintain cameras.

how many cameras are you looking at installing ???

I think Atom is too slow,

I set up an Atom for a friend with eleven cameras (three 5 MP IP and eight analog on two four port video encoders) and it's a little screamer. He has a high-speed Comcast internet connection and I'm amazed at how fast I can review video on a remote client or iOS device. I think I spent $200 on parts. YMMV.

Best,

Christopher

I think Atom is too slow, get the Mac Mini, run Windows on it.

That may be a good idea. Tomcctv said that I would need Windows to set up the cameras. Maybe I can ind a way to have the best of both worlds. Get the Mac Mini, use Windows to setup the cameras, maybe try the Mac SW solution for an NVR if things don't work out I can always look for a Windows NVR solution.

But, the most important thing is still the Front Door solution. If I cannot find a good Front Door solution, I'm not sure I want the rest.

(Front Door Solution is video to see who is there and 2-way audio to/from the Front Door and my iPad)

Thanks for all the responses and helpful pointers,

Andy

But, the most important thing is still the Front Door solution. If I cannot find a good Front Door solution, I'm not sure I want the rest.

(Front Door Solution is video to see who is there and 2-way audio to/from the Front Door and my iPad)

Hi. you might take a look at the mobotix. you will not need to buy another mac as it will run on your existing equipment.

take a look at the T24 http://www.mobotix.com/eng_GB/Products/Home-Automation/IP-Video-Door-Station-T24

also software for your mac will run T24 and other mobotx

you can load it free.

http://www.mobotix.com/eng_GB/Support/Software-News/MxEasy-1.4.1-for-Windows-and-Mac-OS-X

you might take a look at the mobotix. you will not need to buy another mac as it will run on your existing equipment.

This is an excellent suggestion by tomcctv. However, please keep in mind it is driven by your strong desire to use a Mac. IMO, this is the tail the wagging the dog because the OS is driving the camera selection. Mobotix makes fine cameras and perhaps you would settle on them anyway, but FWIW, I would rather design a system around other requirements than the computer or OS. For example, the 3MP cameras by HikVision are a hot topic right now on this forum. I don't yet own any of these cameras but the price/performance of these cameras is very compelling. My guess is if you go with MacOS you may save a few dollars by using a low-end Mac Mini but in the end will spend more money on the full system due to limited camera selection. Again, FWIW. Just be sure and spec everything out first before buying anything.

Best,

Christopher

Hikvision works quite well with Mac. You have iVMS-4200 for Mac, and you have iVMS-4500 for iPhone and iPad. You do have bidirectional audio with DVRs/NVRs, and also with IP cameras that have speaker/line out and microphone/line in.

Hikvision works quite well with Mac. You have iVMS-4200 for Mac, and you have iVMS-4500 for iPhone and iPad. You do have bidirectional audio with DVRs/NVRs, and also with IP cameras that have speaker/line out and microphone/line in.

This looks very promising, especially the bidirectional audio.

I will look very closely at this.

Thanks,

Andy

Sorry that this is my first post, I could have sworn I registered here before. In any event I have been lurking here for a couple of years getting more info before setting up a system. I also use (almost) exclusively mac os (and iOS). And had about 5 vendors start a bid process only to flake out on me, so I was forced to do this myself.

I was deterred by running something other than a mac, and also deterred by purchasing cameras that were not really mac compatible.

So I tinkered with security spy early. It was good for what it was, and at the end if you insist on using a mac for your server t is probably your best bet. I just dug through my video cam software folder, and also noticed i used something called Evom, which was also OK. My biggest problem with Security Spy (IIRC) was that it used a LOT of resources.

So where did I end up?

Well I went with exacq. I went to best buy and bought a $300 Dell desktop computer--yes with windows on it. Downloaded the Exacq software and installed the demo. Now I wont lie, I do NOT LIKE windows 8, and had to google a few things (that where the hell do I find the new software I just downloaded--ironically just start typing "Exacq" and up it will come. Run it. ALSO and dont forget, as I did the first time, start typing Exacq, and also click and run the "exacq Web Server"--which will enable you to see the machine from ipad etc--I say dont forget, not because you cant do it later--you can--but I dont want to go back to the windows machine--

Oh and dont be scared by the statement "run the server" you are just double clicking it not configuring it in any real way.

Give that machine a dedicated IP address,

Then on your Mac, download the Exacq client, enter the server information, AND NEVER GO TO THE WINDOWS MACHINE AGAIN.

Now from you mac Client, you can run ALL of the admin features of the Exacq server. (and yes there is an exacq demo as well, so as to risk, no Exacq cost risk, and you can return machine to BB if it does not work out).

So now how did I deal with my issue of non mac compatible cameras? Well that turned out to be a no brainer also.

There are easier/faster ways to do this, but just for simplicity I am going to explain one that will be somewhat seemless for you:

Plug in new cameras.

Go to exacq system (yes still on your mac), let it search for the camera, when it finds it, add it. Note the IP address that the camera uses.

On YOUR MAC (again we never go back to the PC), enter the IP address. So far, even on EVERY non mac compatible camera I have found, I can set up the camera I just can see the video on the mac (ie no active X). Create a "static ip" for the camera (this is something you would likely want to do regardless of what platform your server is on. Go back to the exacq screen, and change the IP address to the one you just created (or search for a camera again, and re-add it).

Now how do you set up the camera when it cant be seen on a mac? I feel like a fool by not realizing how stupid easy it was. Keep 2 windows open. One window in the camera IP address with the setup info, the other is the exacq software client. WHICH IS RUNNING ON YOUR MAC, But CAN see the camera--so you are seeing the camera on your mac!! Just not in the cameras IP window.

So yes, you type in one window, while looking at another--something that I view as easier anyway. But is not really a price to pay. even on a 12" laptop, 2 side by side screens is far from onerous.

Anyway, this is where I ended up, and I have been happy with it. When my testing was done, I actually ended up with 25 cameras. So I bought a bigger machine, although I question if I may have been able to run it on the $300 Dell. And I was lazy so I bought it from exacq which cost a premium (but also means I did not need to download the software). Also at 25 licenses, when you buy from them you get a 3 year license, which "saves" 25/year per license in fee per cameras (which is a different issue entirely you can search the forum about--you dont have to pay this, but if you ever want to get a camera after you service runs out you would be limited to cameras that were supported when you last paid--or pay retroactively, kind of onerous, but anyway . . .) So by buying there server, I save $25/year*25 cameras*2 years. Or about $1250 that I likely would have spent over 3 years anyway.

Still I suspect you can buy whatever windows machine you want for a small setup, and as far as I am concerned, other than the 30 minutes it took me to plug in the windows machine and run 2 programs, I do everything else on a mac. Actually I think most people would think it was a piece of mac software. I have it on my machine, my laptop, my wifes machine, 10 ipads, 2 iphones etc . . .

almost forgot, I did have 1 issue, for whatever reason when I use exacq to create the on screen display for a camera from a mac, it lets me change the font, and the size, and the position, but will NOT accept the mac color palette to change colors. So when something yellow is on alight background, I cant really see it. So if I want it to be black, yes I do have to go to the windows machine (or VNC to it, if you are comfortable with that), and look at the exacq client software (which I have running anyway, so it is just a matter of turning on the monitor, and entering the PW, no funky windows stuff) and change the color from there.

Anyway, sorry to go so long on my first post, but since I went through the entire "how do I do all this without having to deal with windows" I figured I may as well have saved you all the time I wasted trying, when at the end of the day the amount of windows interaction is negligible, and the machine is cheaper anyway. (and I own 3 mac mini's as well).

Oh, and I imagine it would work, but I would not waste your time trying to run exacq on vmware or parallels on a mini as it would cost more, run worse, and be slightly harder to admin.

Ok, I dont work for Exacq, and I am the first to admit that I dont like the fact that I am "strongly encouraged" to spend $25/year/camera on maintenance, and the search leaves something to be desired (dont get me wrong, it works, and is more than functional, but could certainly be faster an more intuitive),but . . . .

I had a vendor that wanted me to use Hikvision, so I tested it extensively. Perhaps the new revision is better, but wow when I tested it about 3 months ago, it lost cameras, and crashed a lot, I mean a LOT. It was one of those things, where I felt it was not worth "Free" regardless of cost.

Oh and yesterdays release of Exacq supports 2 way audio.

And (I guess) the plus side of the $25/cam/year fee, is that they always have incentive to keep improving software as the recurring revenue becomes a huge part of their revenue, and people wont bother continuing to pay if the improvements arent there, as face it, once cameras are up, people are not replacing them all that frequently.

I loved certain aspects of Vitamin D for the mac--check it out if you havent already, but WOW did it use a lot of resources, and because the didn’t generate enough demand (read money) they dont (or didn’t last I checked) develop it anymore--That was not a trade off I was willing to accept.

Lastly, I FAR prefer an NVR solution that is cameras neutral, and has as much incentive to add any manufacturers cameras to their compatibility list.

This looks very promising, especially the bidirectional audio.

I will look very closely at this.

Thanks,

Andy

... AND NEVER GO TO THE WINDOWS MACHINE AGAIN.

+1

I also install TeamViewer on all my Windows and Linux surveillance servers so I can perform maintenance remotely as well. (actually, I install TeamViewer on virtually everything including Mac and PC desktops and laptops. My daughters are away at college and I manage their laptops remotely. My dad is in another state and I manage all his desktop and laptop computers remotely. TV is one of those must-have utilities).

Best,

Christopher

I will have to try TV. I used it once when someone had to get to my machine, but have been using Jump desktop and have been happy with it, and use it to VNC to other macs in the house (as well as the windows box on occasion), but didn’t want to scare the poor guy

... AND NEVER GO TO THE WINDOWS MACHINE AGAIN.

+1

I also install TeamViewer on all my Windows and Linux surveillance servers so I can perform maintenance remotely as well. (actually, I install TeamViewer on virtually everything including Mac and PC desktops and laptops. My daughters are away at college and I manage their laptops remotely. My dad is in another state and I manage all his desktop and laptop computers remotely. TV is one of those must-have utilities).

Best,

Christopher

but didn’t want to scare the poor guy

You can set up TV so you can login anytime even after reboot, or you can set it up so the other person has to give you a rotating password.

I only wish TV had a better pricing plan. I don't use it commercially so I use the free license. It's extremely useful and I'd be happy to pay them a modest license fee but the commercial license fee is quite expensive. I've often wondered how that pricing plan has worked for them. I've also wondered how many governments are able to hack into user accounts.