neilvassallo

PTZ - configure with a DVR

Hi would like to check maybe someone could help. Don`t know if in the right page to ask but;

Connect a PTZ camera with an RS485 cable to a DVR, set the presets;

than remove the cable (2core RS485) would the PTZ camera still work with the presets set on the DVR?

I would like to know because the PTZ camera does n`t have a 2 core cable passed only a RG59 cable.

Thanks if any further information required contact me please cause I really need some help on this issue thanks.

Hi would like to check maybe someone could help. Don`t know if in the right page to ask but;

Connect a PTZ camera with an RS485 cable to a DVR, set the presets;

than remove the cable (2core RS485) would the PTZ camera still work with the presets set on the DVR?

I would like to know because the PTZ camera does n`t have a 2 core cable passed only a RG59 cable.

Thanks if any further information required contact me please cause I really need some help on this issue thanks.

as far as im aware a ptz will need the 2 core Screened beldon type cable or cat 5 to connect to the dvr for the preset use as that is the data communications cable. disconnecting this cable make the camera only static unless you use a converter with sending the video and data/control signal down the rg59 the using a box to split it at camera end, one box required for each end of coax. hth

Without the comm line you couldn't recall any of the presets from the dvr. What you could do is while your comm line is hooked up, setup your home position where the camera looks when it sits idle, create your presets, create an auto preset tour of those presets, and if the camera supports it, make a daily schedule of that preset tour, and perhaps other scheduled things like auto scan, or even schedule the camera to run a pattern you make while the comm line is hooked up. All of those things will stay programmed and launch automatically according to the schedule you made, even without 485 line hooked up.

But when you disconnect the 485 line, you no longer have any control over the camera. So interrupting the tour, tweaking a menu setting, or needing to track a target will not be possible. So, if you're gonna go through the trouble of running a temp line to set the camera up, run a permanent line so you always have control over your ptz. Good luck.

Without the comm line you couldn't recall any of the presets from the dvr. What you could do is while your comm line is hooked up, setup your home position where the camera looks when it sits idle, create your presets, create an auto preset tour of those presets, and if the camera supports it, make a daily schedule of that preset tour, and perhaps other scheduled things like auto scan, or even schedule the camera to run a pattern you make while the comm line is hooked up. All of those things will stay programmed and launch automatically according to the schedule you made, even without 485 line hooked up.

But when you disconnect the 485 line, you no longer have any control over the camera. So interrupting the tour, tweaking a menu setting, or needing to track a target will not be possible. So, if you're gonna go through the trouble of running a temp line to set the camera up, run a permanent line so you always have control over your ptz. Good luck.

QFA

Hi before you buy anything .... how old is the PTZ do you have pictures.

some older PTZ were just coax and video controlled and they do not have RS485 which is needed to control from your DVR.

you might need whats called a Manchester box which are not cheap

A dedicated micros dennard ptz 2060

yes that's ok yellow to A green to B on your DVR

for up coax the VDS 2500 Series is very good.