hdtvjeff

Dahua 2 Megapixel vs 3 Megapixel NON PTZ

Hey everyone,

First, thank you to everyone here who contributes so, so much and in such a timely fashion.

Ever since I discovered Dahua, I'm astounded coming from Panasonic BL-XXX cams with either 640x480 or 1280 x 720.

Quickly, before anything can a PoE injector which someone mentioned here is 48v acceptable in place of a power supply rated at 12v for a Dahua Camera?

I have several Dahuas

MiniDome 2MP 1

Bullet IP66 2MP 2

Speed Dome 2 MP 20x optical 1

Now, if I buy a 3MP camera Dahua what does that really give me in terms of better resolution of an object 200 feet away?

I know Dahua has a newere PTZ with defogger and 30x optical, Are there any PTZ cameras with higher than 2MP resolution and greater than 30x optical available?

Also, with the bullets and the mini dome, the edges are "curved" whereas with the PTZ it's like WOW.

Is this where varifocal comes in allowing a narrower view but no curviness? Am I on the right track here? Is varifocal taking apart the assembly and manually adjusting the lens?

Thanks again,

jeff

Hey everyone,

First, thank you to everyone here who contributes so, so much and in such a timely fashion.

Ever since I discovered Dahua, I'm astounded coming from Panasonic BL-XXX cams with either 640x480 or 1280 x 720.

Quickly, before anything can a PoE injector which someone mentioned here is 48v acceptable in place of a power supply rated at 12v for a Dahua Camera?

I have several Dahuas

MiniDome 2MP 1

Bullet IP66 2MP 2

Now, if I buy a 3MP camera Dahua what does that really give me in terms of better resolution of an object 200 feet away?

I know Dahua has a newere PTZ with defogger and 30x optical, Are there any PTZ cameras with higher than 2MP resolution and greater than 30x optical available?

Also, with the bullets and the mini dome, the edges are "curved" whereas with the PTZ it's like WOW.

Is this where varifocal comes in allowing a narrower view but no curviness? Am I on the right track here? Is varifocal taking apart the assembly and manually adjusting the lens?

Thanks again,

jeff

As long as your 48V POE injector is 802.3af standard it will power the Dahua IPC with POE.

As for the curved view it is due to your bullet & mini dome having a lens size of 3.6mm or below whereby your Dahua PTZ minimum lens view is 4.7mm. There is no magic that comes with varifocal, it's the adjustment that counts. If you set your varifocal to 2.8mm it will be worst than your dome(in terms of curved image)

Hey everyone,

I have several Dahuas

MiniDome 2MP 1

Bullet IP66 2MP 2

Thanks again,

jeff

As long as your 48V POE injector is 802.3af standard it will power the Dahua IPC with POE.

As for the curved view it is due to your bullet & mini dome having a lens size of 3.6mm or below whereby your Dahua PTZ minimum lens view is 4.7mm. There is no magic that comes with varifocal, it's the adjustment that counts. If you set your varifocal to 2.8mm it will be worst than your dome(in terms of curved image)

Thank you for the thorough response, so if I may ask above what mm setting is "normal"? I hate the curved look, asides from the PTZ magic what should I look for in the future?

Thanks,

Jeff

Hey everyone,

I have several Dahuas

MiniDome 2MP 1

Bullet IP66 2MP 2

Thanks again,

jeff

Thank you for the thorough response, so if I may ask above what mm setting is "normal"? I hate the curved look, asides from the PTZ magic what should I look for in the future?

Thanks,

Jeff

Most 4mm IPC will give you normal view without the curve.

Does this look curved to you?

232366_1.jpg

I have both a IPC-HFW3200C (2MP) and IPC-HFW3300C (3MP) and basically you get 50% more vertical pixels. You need someone's face to be about 80 pixels tall, so having 50% more vertical pixels gives you that edge. The horizontal pixels are about the same. These cameras are varifocal, so 3-4X at best.

As for PTZ with higher resolution, sure, with 4K TV's and monitors coming out, many camera companies are starting to work on their 8MP+ cameras. Have not seen more than 30x optical zoom with anyone yet but some cameras like the Axis Q60 are 1080P but have 20x optical zoom with 20x digital zoom making for a theoretical 400x zoom.

There are 3 ways to deal with the curved fish-eye effect in wide angle cams:

- Switch to a longer lens or zoom out on a varifocal, which will give you more zoom and less field of view.

- Get a wide angle camera that compensates in firmware for the distortion.

- Switch to a compensating lens that corrects for the fish-eye effect. Most of these are C or CS mount, but someone may make them in a M12 mount. These are typically expensive.