Sign in to follow this  
hazim

HD-SDI Camera on UTP & Balun

Dear,

I want to ask if connecting SDI (Serial Digital Interface) CCTV cameras to the DVR via passive video balun is possible as any analog camera or no? Also, if a 2MP HD-SDI camera is connected to a WD/960H DVR, will it give a better image than a good 700TVL effio-e camera? or using an SDI DVR is a must with SDI cameras?

Regards,

Hazim

Not likely. HD-SDI uses very high frequency signals which will not propagate through baluns. The HDcctv Alliance has supposedly approved HDcctvCX, which will allow transport over UTP but I have no idea when such products will be released nor if the technology will filter down to HDcctv's generic brother HD-SDI. http://www.highdefcctv.org/hdcctv-specification

Hello,

The HD-SDI has complaince issue for the camera, dvr and gear. So you have to hook up HD-SDI camera to HD-SDI DVR. As for balun, which some supplier has release SDI-Balun for bridge cat5/5e cable with edge side.

Some supplier has offer Hybrid DVR solution to SD+HD-SDI, IP+HD-SDI or more SD+IP+HD-SDI.

Thank you.

I still didn't know what will I see on the screen if I connected an HD-SDI camera to a general D1 or WD DVR? a good but not HD image, or a bad image or no image at all?

Thank you.

I still didn't know what will I see on the screen if I connected an HD-SDI camera to a general D1 or WD DVR? a good but not HD image, or a bad image or no image at all?

100 % no image at All

Unless you have Hybrid DVR

Thank you.

The same thing you would get if you hook your TV up to a gas main. They both deliver energy but obviously are not inter-compatible.

Its depends on which port you connect to HD-SDI camera becasue some supplier has design one HD-SDI and another is CVBS.

But even you hook up cvbs to analogue(D1/WD1) DVR the quality is blurry. So I think you better to migrate to hybrid DVR to finished this project.