danweber

PowerTelecomm or Nuvico

For the last few weeks I have been looking around the Internet to select a DVR for my new house that I am building. I am having eight cameras installed around the property and would like to use a DVR that I can also monitor remotely (over the Internet) occasionally.

The selection out there is tremendous and it is difficult to pick a good system, at least for someone that is not in this business.

At the moment I am in Favor of the PowerTelecomm PDVR-8100 unit. Checking with their sales department I learned however that the maximum recording resolution is now 720x240 and no longer 720x480. I am not sure if this will make as much difference as it sounds like.

The runner up unit would be a Nuvico NVDV-8000N or NVJV-8000. Many places sell Nuvico and that makes me somewhat confident that it would be a decent unit.

Does anyone have experience with the PowerTelecomm unit? I have seen some posts here that seem to indicate that it is an ok unit for home use. Unfortunately they do not have a demo unit connected.

Thanks

Dan

Hello and welcome to the forums.

I have heard good things about the PowerTelecomm PDVR-8100. It is a realtime machine which is a plus. If you are concerned with remote access though I would reconsider DVR choices. GO with a Mpeg-4 or H.264 compression DVR. The M-Jpeg doesn't stream as well as the other would but it all depends on your needs for online viewing.

Have you considered a PC Based DVR? They will get you everything you need plus packed with a lot more features, and ability to upgrade in the future.

If you are concerned with remote access though I would reconsider DVR choices.

Remote Access will be the exception, and not used frequently at all. Any recommendation for a MPEG-4 unit? My budget is around $1500.

Have you considered a PC Based DVR? They will get you everything you need plus packed with a lot more features, and ability to upgrade in the future.

I haven't considered it. I used to have a four and an eight camera system based on a Geovision DVR card but I was not very pleased with the handling and the performance. So I thought a standalone unit might be the better way to go.

Thanks for your feedback

Dan

Hey Dan,

The NVDV-8000 series is no gone, it would be the NVDV2-8000 series. The new series has a nicer look and built in CDRW Drive. Nice unit. Go with that one.

Hey Dan,

The NVDV-8000 series is no gone, it would be the NVDV2-8000 series. The new series has a nicer look and built in CDRW Drive. Nice unit. Go with that one.

Spytown, I meant to write NVDV2

How would you say the Nuvico compares to the PowerTelecomm? I am starting to think that it would be safer for me to go with a better known brand like Nuvico and I feel that there would be a better chance for future updates.

They are both buy OEM .... powerTellecom has been great in the past .. they are also on this forum ..

never played with the "powertelecomm" never even heard about it. I am though very familiar with the Nuvico and can tell you the new "nvdv2" series is an excellent choice.

I like the Nuvico unit but I am hesitating to order it. I am not sure I would be satisfied with the 720x240 recording resolution. That's why I had originally looked at the PowerTelecomm unit because the spec sheet said 720x480 recording resolution but a recent firmware/software upgrade changed that, according to their sales person.

Are there any standalone DVRs that have 480 lines resolution or do I have to consider a PC based system?

most will do 720x480. But as it is a stand alone DVR it will not give you 720x480 for evidence sharing anyway, just for playback on the local monitor.

Rory,would a pc based unit ie geovision give a better resolution for playback and/or evidence sharing,as l am also thinking of a similar setup.?

And the playback is mpeg4?also what does D1 mean in relation to full size playback?Also how simple is the geovision software for relative ease of use for newbies as far as backing up evidence etc.l have to make a decision soon!! oh, and also is it possible for an expert to be able to modify or fix my cameras from a remote view location or at least log in to see and recommend,thanks for any info!!

Playback depends on what you recdord in, MJpeg, Wavelet, or Mpeg4, i use Mpeg4. The new version of Geo coming out soon, also wil have a few other codecs.

Well D1, Ciff, etc, i'll just go by the resolutions, they have 320x240, 640x480, and 720x480, there are a couple other resolutions in between but i'd never use them.

Back up is easy enough, if you can use this forum, you can figure out how to back up.

One can login and view the cameras remotely, or you can use VNC to get on the DVR and make any PC based changes required. As for actually programming the camera, cant say ive heard of that, except on some cameras with OSD, but that would require a seperate program provided by the camera manufacturer.

is there any way to see an example of this ie remote/recorded view image to get an idea of quality.It would be great if someone could start a thread with a remote view images and recorded images,then we could relate to what everyone is talking about!!

there's a couple clips on the top right of my home page, though i saved the AVI in quad mode. I'll see if i can get a 720x480 single camera clip to put up there also.

sorry rory but how do l get to your homepage?l found it!!l just tried to play it in windows media player it is playing but there is no image!!

very nice pictures!!l wonder if you could link me to the gui or software shot on desktop to see how is it! and what cameras are you using in those clips??

the clips on my home page are just cheap 380TVl OEM cameras, nothing special, the High Res cameras provide an even better image. I have a couple shots though I cant post them here or online, as involve "violence", email/PM me and ill send you them to check out.

Hi everyone,

I need the user's guide for CPcam CPD505 8CH MPEG-4 DVR.

I have to install the entire system in a new place, please help. Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Alex