Sign in to follow this  
michaeljc70

Aiphone and twisted cabling

I bought a townhouse and the previous owner replaced the front gate bell with an Aiphone. The inside unit is a JK-1MD and outside is a JK-DV I believe. The only thing that works is the gate release. The video and intercom and bell do not work.

They used twisted cabling (like phone cabling- probably Cat3). The manual says not to use twisted cabling.

I brought the camera part inside and wired with twisted cabling (only 2 m long) to the receiving unit and it worked.

I did a continuity test on the wiring to the gate (maybe 15-20m) and the wiring is good.

There is no way to replace the wiring to the gate as it goes underground and through many walls. Is there anything I can do to get this working? If I can even get the buzzer and voice to work without the video, I'd be happy.

Yes you can get it to work you need another unit that allows for twisted pair wiring. One Pair for 2 way audio to your home phone (when someone pushes the button), one pair for video balun, one pair for video 12v DC power, one pair for release for buzzer.

See PM.

I bought a townhouse and the previous owner replaced the front gate bell with an Aiphone. The inside unit is a JK-1MD and outside is a JK-DV I believe. The only thing that works is the gate release. The video and intercom and bell do not work.

They used twisted cabling (like phone cabling- probably Cat3). The manual says not to use twisted cabling.

I brought the camera part inside and wired with twisted cabling (only 2 m long) to the receiving unit and it worked.

I did a continuity test on the wiring to the gate (maybe 15-20m) and the wiring is good.

There is no way to replace the wiring to the gate as it goes underground and through many walls. Is there anything I can do to get this working? If I can even get the buzzer and voice to work without the video, I'd be happy.

There is no way to replace the wiring to the gate as it goes underground and through many walls.

That wiring got in there some how. Should be easy to replace because you have a pull wire.

The ones I have installed we used the AiPhone supplied wire. It's a heavy gauge 2 conductor solid wire and then you can use anything for gate release.