Superfluous

New Camera Setup to Computer

I'm looking to have a system setup for around 2-4 cameras total for my home. I was planning on buying an all in one computer (monitor attached to computer) with a terabyte hard drive (big enough?) to leave in my kitchen as the main recording computer for the cameras. Is an NVR a better route? None of the cameras will be able to connect directly to the computer due to the locations. So how do I do this? Do I need to buy an access point and have each camera feed in wirelessly? Do I want to keep these separate from my main wireless router? I'm a bit lost. Is there a guide anyone can point me to that will point me in the right direction?

If you're planning on running a PC 24/7 to record video, then no an NVR is not required. Even without a PC, you still don't really need an NVR however. Most IP cameras (if not all) can record to NAS - or even onboard SD. The PC is then just needed to view/manage the recordings. As for you other question. If your cameras are PoE, you can get a switch with PoE capabilities to connect each of your cameras and then connect that switch to your router. Or you can PoE injectors for each camera then connect each camera to your router. Ideally, your router/switch is located in an area in your home that you could find a way to run the Ethernet cables from each camera.

If you're planning on running a PC 24/7 to record video, then no an NVR is not required. Even without a PC, you still don't really need an NVR however. Most IP cameras (if not all) can record to NAS - or even onboard SD. The PC is then just needed to view/manage the recordings. As for you other question. If your cameras are PoE, you can get a switch with PoE capabilities to connect each of your cameras and then connect that switch to your router. Or you can PoE injectors for each camera then connect each camera to your router. Ideally, your router/switch is located in an area in your home that you could find a way to run the Ethernet cables from each camera.

Thanks for the reply. Since I wouldn't be able to directly wire the ethernet cable to my router, could I do Camera-->PoE Injector-->wireless bridge-->router?

Also, does having cameras on your router slow down the router for everyday internet usage at all?

Thanks for the reply. Since I wouldn't be able to directly wire the ethernet cable to my router, could I do Camera-->PoE Injector-->wireless bridge-->router?

Also, does having cameras on your router slow down the router for everyday internet usage at all?

What you are suggesting is technically possible, but in my opinion you might have bandwidth issues running four cameras and internet via wireless network. Would not be a problem with a wired setup.

What you are suggesting is technically possible, but in my opinion you might have bandwidth issues running four cameras and internet via wireless network. Would not be a problem with a wired setup.

I'm not sure how to avoid going wireless. Router is on the second floor while the cameras are on the first floor with no way to get a wire between them. How could I setup wireless without causing bandwidth issues? Would a second router do anything?

I'm not sure how to avoid going wireless. Router is on the second floor while the cameras are on the first floor with no way to get a wire between them. How could I setup wireless without causing bandwidth issues? Would a second router do anything?

Check powerline adapters

start googling powerline networking

when they work

they work well

For larger homes, you can put in Ubiquiti UniFi repeaters. They are inexpensive and help extend WiFi network throughout the house. If you have all UniFi equipment, it seamless transfers connections to the one with the best signal, so you can walk around the house with a phone or tablet on WiFi and you'll always have the best signal, very cool.

I agree with ak357 for powerline adapters, its what I use in one home where I couldn't hard wire a camera, ironically in the same room as the WiFi router. I use a wall plug type injector with it that plugged into the powerline adapter that had an outlet in it.

I agree with ak357 for powerline adapters, its what I use in one home where I couldn't hard wire a camera, ironically in the same room as the WiFi router. I use a wall plug type injector with it that plugged into the powerline adapter that had an outlet in it.

I just got new ones

so far impressed

getting about 70-80 mbps

I have 4 of them running

The powerline adapters others have recommended are a great idea. Have you considered moving the router to the 1st floor as an option?

So all I have to do is plug it into a direct outlet in the wall, then plug it in via ethernet to my router?

Also, I ran out of ports on the back of my router (Cisco/Linksys EA4500). What's the best device to create more ethernet ports?

To confirm:

Camera-->PoE injector-->powerline adapter-->house-->powerline adapter-->Router

Then computer connects to router wirelessly to get video and record.

Is that the optimal way?

Nothing wireless. You will get dropped frames, video errors and tearing if your recording computer is on a wireless connection. Been there, done that, got the tshirt. It can be done if you HAVE to, but I don't recommend it, even with a high end router.

To confirm:

Camera-->PoE injector-->powerline adapter-->house-->powerline adapter-->Router

Then computer connects to router wirelessly to get video and record.

Is that the optimal way?

Nop

Add one more powerline adapter for computer

I am actually a system running in a similar configuration to @Superfluous is asking about.

Home Server running HikVision PCNVR downstairs om a cupboard connected to a Wifi router and ADSL.

Up stairs in a cupboard I have a Dlink DIR615 router updated with DD-WRT firmware in Bridge Mode connected over Wifi to my downstairs router.

Currently have 2 x 3MP IP camera's directly connected to the upstairs router and configured to run at the full 3MP resolution.

I have no problems at all with video recording, no video loss or bandwidth issues.

I also use the same Wifi network from a deskop PC to run the Remote Viewing client. I can view live and playback the 3MP streams to my desktop PC over Wifi whislt the camera's are still recording without any interruption to the video stream.

Playback on my desktop PC is smooth and seeks are fast.

I also have Powerline adators but for some reason the socket outlet in the location where the IP Camera router is situated gets a very poor signal and consequently low bandwidith.

The bridge connection over wifi between the two routers fluctuates between 100-200mbps connection rate. both Wifi routers are 300mbps routers.

I cant say that my set up will work for every one but I have at least demonstrated that a wifi link between remote IP camera's and PC NVR is possible with Megapixel IP cameras.

Incidentally, I was planning on adding two more cameras a total of 4 so I might still hit the bandwidth ceiling of the wifi link.

I'm planning to do some bandwidth testing with two PC's to find out what the practical limit is. Using DD-WRT firmware really helps to analyse the data stream to see how much actual bandwith is being used.

Thanks for the replies so far everyone.

Someone mentioned I should use a third powerline adapter for the computer too. Are they not directional in terms of one being for the router while the others are on the receiving end?

http://www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-Powerline-Wall-Plug-Adapter-PLA4215KIT/dp/B006L6X7PM/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1382497182&sr=8-7&keywords=gigabit+powerline

The link has about 10 different options. Which ones would I need? Gigabit with passthrough kit at 500mbps? Then one extra one? I notice there's one with a switch, could that handle multiple inputs then? Are they PoE by any chance?

I just got new ones

so far impressed

getting about 70-80 mbps

I have 4 of them running

How do you measure the mbps?