cglaeser

Avigilon 5 MP dome with IR

I have Avigilon domes and Avigilon bullets with IR, but I don't yet have any domes with IR. A neighbor wants to install the domes with IR but the installer cautioned that the IR in the domes may cause spots. I don't know if he was talking about a generic problem or Avigilon in particular. I know this can be a problem with low-end domes when the lens is not sealed against the dome, but is this a problem with the Avigilon domes? Asked another way, what is your opinion of the Avigilon 5MP dome with IR?

Best,

Christopher

Having gone through the booth recently at ASIS and double-checking on their website, don't see any Avigilon 5MP IR domes. The ACTi E73 is a fixed dome with IR of you need 5MP with IR. Or you can get an illuminator, a small Raytec for under $400 would probably work well, the RM25.

If your wanting to use a 5mp camera I'm guessing your wanting to cover a large area. If that's the case I doubt the IR will cover the entire area.

You will have to light it with auxiliary IR lighting.

Outdoor 5MP IR Dome part# 5.0-H3-DO1-IR

Any experiences with this camera and the IR?

Best,

Christopher

Just the bullet version. They work well and throw IR far but if you have a large area I would add more lighting.

I have Avigilon domes and Avigilon bullets with IR, but I don't yet have any domes with IR. A neighbor wants to install the domes with IR but the installer cautioned that the IR in the domes may cause spots. I don't know if he was talking about a generic problem or Avigilon in particular. I know this can be a problem with low-end domes when the lens is not sealed against the dome, but is this a problem with the Avigilon domes? Asked another way, what is your opinion of the Avigilon 5MP dome with IR?

Best,

Christopher

Even if the lens assembly is sealed against the *inside* of the front glass window, I find that IR bounce back is still an issue when the exterior of the window gets dirty. This shows up as translucent spots on the viewed image, and if left unchecked, can easily obscure half (objective opinion) or so of the viewable content at night.

The only viable solution I have found--if you must have a single-piece camera+IR illuminator solution--are cameras where the lense window and the IR window are physically separated, usually by concentrically-arranged windows separated by an opaque material, like a plastic ring. This configuration can be difficult to find.

Otherwise the recommendations from others of a separate IR illuminator is the ideal solution.

Environment plays a big factor. I successfully use cameras without this split-window arrangement in some inland locations, but in more humid environments, like locations near the ocean with salt/mineral deposits, gunk will build up on the front window. In those situations a split window is a must-have for the all-in-one configuration.

You can say that about IR bullets too, when the glass gets dirty you would see IR reflecting back off the dirt, just a problem with the lens and IR LEDs sharing the same glass. Some new cameras are coming out with a separate lens and LED, off the top of my head the ACTI D31/D32 and the Hikvison DS-2CD2332-I.