Sign in to follow this  
pete1606

Choosing a PTZ camera by optical zoom

Hi, I been trying to find a thread or a website that shows a comparison of what a PTZ camera video would look like at approximate distances. I cant seem to find a good resource, any suggestions would be appreciated.

I see that PTZ cameras models start at 10x optical zoom. I plan on using a PTZ cam outdoors, what power optical zoom would you suggest to be able to recognize faces and be able to read license plates? I plan on mounting 15- 20 feet off the ground.

Thank you

Peter

I just posted this video today on youtube. This is a 20x optical with 16x digital. I have the digital enabled, but you can sort of tell when the digital

kicks in. This camera is 15 floors high though, not 15 feet, lol.

Hi, I been trying to find a thread or a website that shows a comparison of what a PTZ camera video would look like at approximate distances. I cant seem to find a good resource, any suggestions would be appreciated.

I see that PTZ cameras models start at 10x optical zoom. I plan on using a PTZ cam outdoors, what power optical zoom would you suggest to be able to recognize faces and be able to read license plates? I plan on mounting 15- 20 feet off the ground.

Thank you

Peter

i use these sort on our house and can easily see things over road like regs and face upto 70 feet away

China_Outdoor_Mini_IR_Speed_Dome_Camera_SF_600A20122271454317.thumb.jpg.2dfcd1b62b4a63c5c9f390cc32911da6.jpg

Hi Peter,

If only 15-20 feet that will be very easy. If the distance not more than 10 meters, you can use analogue camera. 16-27X all OK. 10X will be small a bit to see driver license.

Marvin

The question is how far away will faces and plates be? I use a dahua 23x zoom at work and it's excellent. I don't miss a thing and at distances up to 200' and beyond. I have no problem with faces or plates, day or night. If you're gonna use an analog camera, 27x optical is plenty in most situations. I have many vids on my home ptz, 27x optical. Perhaps they can help as well.

Btw lucky- that 1.3 is awesome!