Sign in to follow this  
cj1911

Cable runs over 700ft

Hi, I hope I put this in the right forum.

I have a warehouse that is over 100,000sqft. There are 6 cameras installed and on one side of the building. I need to add more cams to the other side of the building that is about 760ish feet away. I have read that rg59 is good up to 1k ft or 750 ft. I have also read that rg6 would be better for those lengths. I am not sure which way to go. I do know to use solid copper core and copper braid.

Thank you

Hi, I hope I put this in the right forum.

I have a warehouse that is over 100,000sqft. There are 6 cameras installed and on one side of the building. I need to add more cams to the other side of the building that is about 760ish feet away. I have read that rg59 is good up to 1k ft or 750 ft. I have also read that rg6 would be better for those lengths. I am not sure which way to go. I do know to use solid copper core and copper braid.

Thank you

750" is getting onto the limit for RG59 so if you go that way it will definitly have to be the best quality copper coax. RG6 will stretch out to about 1000" but can be affected by LF (<50Mhz) interference. Sources of this could be fluoro lights . sodium lights and industrial machinery.

Personaly I would go for the RG59 with active equalisers to compensate for HF signal loss & general overall attenuation losses. The other thing is to mount them at "ladder height" to save a lot of dollars in cherrypicker costs for any maintenance/repairs in the future.

Good quality copper/copper RG59 will easily go 900-1000 feet. Look for a 20 gauge center conductor (a few brands use 22-23 gauge). Likewise, good quality copper/copper RG6 can go 1500 feet. Be careful if you decide to use RG6. Although many companies make copper/copper varieties, some places only stock CATV RG6 that uses a copper clad steel center conductor and foil or aluminum shield. Both will limit distance capability tremendously.

This is the one I was looking at full copper center and copper braid. hopefully I can post links.

amazon.com/Litsted-RG59-Siamese-Coaxial-Cable/dp/B009L7Z9FE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1383239214&sr=8-4&keywords=rg59

Looks OK but beware - some sellers claim the center conductor is solid bare copper when in actuality, it is copper-clad steel. Amazon is pretty good at accepting returns so if you buy the cable through them, test it with a magnet against the center conductor ASAP and complain if it's steel.

For the power, I was going to use power close to the cam.

I was thinking cat5 initially, but I wasn't sure.

Another question, instead of running rg59 that distance and cable costs(2 cams), I was thinking of putting another dvr(already have) close to the 2 far cameras and just run either cat5 to it for internet connection, or run cat5 with baluns with a video out to the main dvr.

What do you guys think?

You can pull 2 cables just as easy as a single cable, assuming the 2 cameras you want to connect to are close together why not just run them back to the existing DVR? CAT5 with baluns will work fine, as should RG59, the choice is yours.