lucky888

Suggestion for a CCTV system

I am looking for a CCTV system for my business and not sure where to start. I have been looking at this site www.X10.com and very tempted to purchase from them but once i read the forums i would just forget about this website because it seems to be too cheap to be true.

I am looking for a CCTV system installed in one of our branches which has a web based interface so that i can monitor from our head office. I need suggestion as what kind of cost i am looking at and what the best system or software you have used and suggested. Any input or help is greatly appricated.

2 choices. Stand alone or PC based DVR. I recommend http://www.video-insight.com Thomas, on this Forum, can help you with Video Insight as he works there as the sales rep. I am an installer/dealer in SC and I use the Video Insight card as my "star performer". The Video Insight card will do what you want and more.

X10 is cheap and you are wise to research before spending the money.

If you need help PM me or contact Thomas.

hi and welcome.

we dont like to say the X word here ..

As you would have gathered from browsing the other forums, there are certainly alot of choices out there.

Like VST said, there are Stand Alone and then PC based DVRs.

If you are fairly PC Literate then you may want to take a look at a PC based system, mostly for higher recording speeds and extensive features.

If you are the Plug, Play, and Forget about it type, then you may be better off looking at a Stand Alone DVR.

For PC DVRs there are alot of options, the following come to mind:

GeoVision, I-View, Video Insight, NetProMax, LuxRiot, among many others.

with GeoVision (and others) it is best to buy a ready built system from a rep, though even if you buy the cards alone, there are plenty of tech guys on here with Knowledge of most well known cards/software.

As for stand alones, its all about budget, what can you afford ..

What are you looking for in a CCTV system, are there any particular features you know you want? Please list anything you can think of.

thanks

Rory

I am looking for PC based DVR. Help me to understand a bit more. I am looking for a system less than 8 cameras. I have built many servers before so i think i can put a system together for this.

are you recommeding to purchase a preinstalled system or can i just buy the card only? is there any reason why i should buy a preinstalled system? bottomline is i am really low on budget therefore i need to save as much as i can.

i would guess the card does come with software or software is purchased separately. What roughly the cost for the card and software?

i don't have cameras so i look to purchase less than 8 cameras so please advise which sites i should look for or your guys can give me a quote if you are selling them.

cards come with software. you can build the Server on your own...XP Pro

camera's? you need to define your requirements. ie.....

- outdoor?

- IR needed...recomend going with motion lighting "before" you buy IR.

- varifocal?

- low light/night vision capable

- dome, bullet, box?

- AC or DC

- color or B&W?

- resolution?

I recommend high resolution on all. The rest of the above requires your input based on actual install conditions and view you need to capture.

Make sure if you go with any color outdoor that it has a mechanical filter.

As far as only 8 Camera's? Buy a 16 capable card so you have room to grow..and you will

you can save money by bulding the Server but the warranty work is on you. Depends on how much you savor your time..........if you have Server problems. Build the Server "larger" than you calculate. ie. if you think you need a 2.8 intel build a 3.4. ie. calc your hard drive storage and then add a bit more. motherboard video works but if you can go with a PICe.....will save resources for the Video

- AND, it is a Server, not a PC. Treat it as such. Don't multi it out for surfing the WEB, email, ect. You'll bog it down with bs and open it to more virus pop up crap.

Lucky I have one more bit of advise depending on where you are depends on what you can do. The state I live and work in Tennessee you have to have a state license to install even if you own your busness you can put one in at your home but that is all. Our state likes big fines for this type of thing and a company will turn people in for the spite. We have overhead class and regulations from the state to do our work that is why we are so protective our our busness.

Buddy

the server can be built and used for this purpose only and nothing more. all cameras are indoor. i would prefer:

color cameras

day/night vision capable

motion recording(does this come with the software or the camera itself)

resolution is decent enough to view on the web.

it looks as though i would go with something like VideoInsight VJ60, i would build the system myself plus purchasing cameras. here are few quesitons i have:

would VJ60 work with any camera or analog only?

this question may sound stupid but i am not sure how often one would record. i can't imagine you would record every second and you would have no space left on your harddisk in such a short time. i imagine the software would give me the option to select when and how often i would record.

When looking at the DVR card, stick to name brands, Video Insight, GEOVISION, I-VIEW, etc. They are all good cards, one has the best of one thing, while the other has the best of another, example, GEO has in my opinion, the best Picture quality, but it lacks on GUI and remote software, Video Insight, has great search features, but it lacks on user friendlynes, I-VIEW, has the best Remote Software, and a good GUI, but it lacks on search features.

It is not an easy decision when it comes down to these three, but I can guess that anyone here can tell you that either of these will be a best bet.

system will work with a VJ60, only restriction is going to be the "60" total camera fps. I ran a VJ60 on a intel 2.5, 13 camera's at 640x480, fps per camera was set at 4 to 5 and it worked fine.

Call Thomas at Video Insight to get a better handle on your A or D question. There is some confusioin as to what a analoge or digital signal truely is. A signal is anaolg if it 's output signal is a signwave frequency. This same camera can have digital processing onboard but it is still a anaolge camera based on the signal output. digital is a high or low voltage which represents a input signal (camera lense and board electronics) and is combined in multiple digital signals as a signal (video) output.

i have narrowed down to these:

Geovision GV-800

[edit - link removed by mod - non retail price ]

Video Insight may be VJ120

i may go with this camera day/night color with IR

http://www.worldeyecam.com/store/product.php?productid=16140&cat=104&page=1

am i on the right track? are the prices reasonable?

one quick question about Q-See products! is this card any good?

http://www.q-see.com/newwebsite-design/digi-equip/DVRPC/qspdvr08-bottom.htm

Q-see doesnt compare to Geo or Video Insight, for one thing i noticed that Q-see card only has 320x240 resolution. Its a card that is sold in electronic stores in the US, very basic cheap card ..

i assume i am not allowed to list the prices. that's ok. any suggestion which website is best for Geovion, Video Insight cards and cameras i have mentioned above or anyone can give me a quote i would appriciate it.

Yep, only if the link has non retail pricing ... main reason is we have alot of contributing dealers that sell the same products at retail pricing, and some of them are also advertisers. Best way would be to ask for a quote as you did already, then you will get a good variation of prices to choose from.

Just remember, the cheapest one is not always the best, look at the warranty and support offered for it as well. If you buy it then cant return it if it doesnt work properly, or cant get it to work properly even after trying everything, or never hear back from the reseller, then it would have been a loss. I'd like to think all the dealers on here, especially if they PM you, would be offering great support, just confirm the warranty with them, as they can differ. Digital Watchguard is a listed Geo dealer, and an advertiser so no doubt I would recommend him, and they also sell those Nuvico Cameras. Also, VueStar builds some great ready made systems.

VST is the only Video Insight reseller I know of, but there may be others, VST knows his stuff though.

thanks

Rory

thank you! i knew it would be somewhere in the policy but i did not read it and sorry about that.

anyhow, i need a quote for GV-800 card and 6 day/night IR cameras

I went with a similar nuvico camera - the W27IR19N - for my home install and the cameras are great. I have 6 of them monitoring the perimeter of a house - all outside.

I originally looked at the GV-800 card, but after researching, I purchased a geo 1240-8 card. From what I have learned, the 800 card might work well, although I liked the video out feature of the 1240 and the higher frame rate.

Here is my post to the forum when I was going through my buying decision - http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3369. There is also a link in that post to some of my camera shots, so you can look at the resolution on them.

Hope this helps...

Hi cmf, of course that's helpful. i don't know if you are allowed to list what you did pay for the cameras and the GV1240-8 card and where you bought them. if you can, please let me know via my PM if you don't mind.