Sign in to follow this  
fowzan

Recording Off a Screen

hi,

i am currently doing a small setup CCTV setup. the application being recording the cash counter in a shop. the client wants to record the monitor screen primarily and the cash counter. i wanted to use basic IP cameras. i have even tested an IP VGA camera. but the problem is the weird lines moving up and down pop on the recording footage. this is a common problem when recording from projectors, tv, monitors etc.

how can i get rid of this problem?

please help me out

It's not possible to eliminate the lines from the screen. The TV and LCD is constantly flashing, faster than our eyes can see. That's how monitors work.

What are you recording exactly? What's showing on the screen?

i am basically recording text from 19" monitors.

this is not a conventional cash register. its basically a desktop pc that is being used to generate receipts and a drawer that is being used store cash.

there have been alot of complains regarding salesmen charging additional and stuff. thats the reason the cctv is coming in.

and due to the fact the text is small (still readable though) the lines are making it difficult at times.

there should be some way to get rid of that problem. reduce refresh rate of monitors? reduce camera fps? any additional feature in camera which helps in these situations?

and due to the fact the text is small (still readable though) the lines are making it difficult at times.

there should be some way to get rid of that problem. reduce refresh rate of monitors? reduce camera fps? any additional feature in camera which helps in these situations?

there is a way but if you cant answer the questions how can people help

forget about reading screen but if you let us know which ip camera and software then we can give you some ideas.

this is not a conventional cash register. its basically a desktop pc that is being used to generate receipts and a drawer that is being used store cash.

windows based till

there is a way but if you cant answer the questions how can people help

forget about reading screen but if you let us know which ip camera and software then we can give you some ideas.

windows based till

i havent selected a camera yet. i have just tested an LG camera which i had available for demonstration LND5100. i have even tested an analog camera and its facing the same issue. VMS i have been using lg ipsolute bundled with the camera

http://www.lgecommercial.com/security-en/products/software/vms/lg-LVI510

i can use a 3rd party VMS and any other camera on the market which would be immune to this issue.

You still keep saying there must be a way ....... Not by pointing camera at screen.

But lg vms takes axis encoder.

Parts needed

VGA splitter at monitor

VGA to composit convertor

Axis encoder then feed to vms

i have done some testing with just varying different parameters today

1. brightness of the projector and camera

2. Changing the lighting conditions in the environment

what i found was that this flickering (whatever that is called) tends to get lower as the brightness is increased. and gets very predominant when the brightness is low.

and when i enhanced the lighting conditions in the room the flickering got very dull and almost vanished.

The screen was clearly visible.

I will try and test a bit more with other settings and see how things work out

You still keep saying there must be a way ....... Not by pointing camera at screen.

But lg vms takes axis encoder.

Parts needed

VGA splitter at monitor

VGA to composit convertor

Axis encoder then feed to vms

i am trying to figure out what you mean. i am not a professional and i am just learning as i work. what you are basically trying to say is, I record the Monitors Video Signal directly, if i am not wrong. and use a cctv camera for for the rest of the surveillance.

this would be a good solution in this case.

but there would be instances where you would like to record off the screen. say in projector rooms. i have got a query from a client who requires the seminars in his projector rooms recorded. i will test out different settings and provide video footage for other peoples reference

google vga to composite splitter and you will find a bunch of them.

vga in - vga out with a split to composite ( which can be rca or bnc) sent to a dvr

records everything on the computer screen