smcctv

DynDNS & Port forwarding

More of my customers are looking to cut costs and are opting for paying smaller fees to DynDNS\NoIP etc...

I am having difficulty as DynDNS updater is installed on a clients PC and the app only works with the PC turned on, so the DVR is not getting updated if\when the ip changes as its dynamic.

The client is working away regulary which could be for 3 weeks at a time

Is there a way for this to be updated without a pc swicthed on all the time?

Regards

Vic

Put a router in there that has DDNS built in (which is almost all of them). Sometimes the DVR / NVR will have it built in too, but be careful with those and make sure it can truly see the public IP.

Most newer dvr/nvr have dydns and no-ip built in and function as the updater themselves. But be aware that a free dyndns account will NOT be updated in this way. Really the best free account to have is no-ip. And if your dvr and router doesn't have no-ip in DDNS settings, you'll have to have an updater installed on a running pc as you're doing now. It actually may be more cost effective to put a newer dvr in line with no-ip embedded. If you pay 20-25 bucks a month for dydns you'll be paying upwards of 300 bucks a year anyway. So you get a dvr with no-ip embedded, create a free account at no-ip, port forward in your router, done. The dvr is now the updater. Good luck.

I had a client complaining that he was unable to get his CCTV DVR from his phone regularly. I kept an eye on it and was convinced his DVR was not updating the dyndns account, so eventually I called into his home. I had to laugh when I visited only to find he was switching the DVR off ( but left the computer on) before leaving home. The had to cry when I charged for a call out.

Doh, someone slap me.

Yes, the DVR does have DynDNS capability so will give this a bash this weekend.

Many thanks again. Appreciate it....

Doh, someone slap me.

Yes, the DVR does have DynDNS capability so will give this a bash this weekend.

Many thanks again. Appreciate it....

It happens, that is why we lean on each other! Just be darn sure it is reporting the public IP. I have seen some equipment behind a router that would only report the internal IP, which it thought was actually the public IP.

Just remember that for a free dyndns account, nothing will automatically update it. You have to literally log into your account within every 30 days for it to remain free- part of the BS that dyndns has done to free accounts. If you want your customers to universally save money, short of a free vendor specific embedded account for DNS, no-ip is the way to go at this time. Let's hope THEY stay free.