Sign in to follow this  
firegoldlynx

Are POE cameras for 802.3af compatible with passive switches

I saw this quote in a thread, and went digging and saw that this switch is a passive POE

The best bang for the buck may be the Ubiquiti 8 port Tough Switch, GigE, 48V PoE and is a managed switch,

Do all the IP/Megapixel 802.3af cameras function on the voltage alone or do they require the 802.3af negotiation part of the specification?

Most, if not all, will require 802.3af negotiation, the cameras by Ubiquiti being a rare exception.

The reason Ubiquiti (and many other wireless equipment vendors) use that type of output is that at least some of it predates the 802.3af standard, and they've simply continued with their design (voltages between 12-48 volts, usually 12-24 volts, no load sensing before applying full voltage).

It's also cheaper than having fully compliant hardware in both the Power Sourcing Equipment (PSE), and the Powered Device (PD), and is hacker-friendly for throwing together alternative power supplies (batteries, solar, etc.)

This switch is not 802.3af compliant but you can set a port to 24v or 48v and it seems to work for people with 802.3af cameras in the 48v setting but I have not tried it personally but looking into it because I'm having bandwidth issues with my 100Mbps switch. My only complaint with this switch is that you can only have 7 cameras because you need one part to go to the NVR or router.

Note that non-compliant switches may not shut off the power in case of short or overload, which could damage the switch, the camera, or both. I'm not familiar with the Ubiquiti switches, so they may have overload/short protection, but that's part of the 802.3af spec.

Maxicon, you have a good amount of cameras, are you using gigabit switches or 100Mbps? I'm thinking about switching mine out because I hit the wall on my switch with so many 3MP cameras. I'm already pushing over 70Mbps and that's a lot for a 100Mbps switch.

Maxicon, you have a good amount of cameras, are you using gigabit switches or 100Mbps? I'm thinking about switching mine out because I hit the wall on my switch with so many 3MP cameras. I'm already pushing over 70Mbps and that's a lot for a 100Mbps switch.

My Dell switch is 24x 100Mb ports with 2x 1Gb uplinks. This one has had up to 12 cams, mix of 1 to 3MP, on it at once with no issues.

The cameras and NVRs never seem to have bandwidth issues, but the entertainment center struggles sometimes for no reason I can find. It's on a different section of the network, and I'm concerned that the cams are bogging things down. I just need the time to chase it all...

So if I use a 100Mbps switch with gigabit uplink ports it will be good enough vs. getting a full gigabit switch.

Common Buell

of course it's good enough

I can not believe u asking

Just trying to find the best bang for the buck. For me I was looking at the ZyXel 100Mbps 8 port PoE plus a gigabit uplink but wanted to know if there's a better deal for a managed switch that's full power on all ports, maybe a full gigabit switch to be more future proof, as more cameras end up with gigabit ports and I would imagine as low end cameras reach 10MP and beyond this will be common.

My first POE switch was all Gb on 8 ports, figuring on the future-proof aspect, and when I outgrew it and priced full Gb 24 port switches, I decided the future could wait! My 24 port switch only cost a little more than the 8 port full Gb switch.

With POE becoming much more popular and prices dropping, it'll just be a matter of time before full Gb POE switches catch up as well. For now, as long as the backbone has plenty of bandwidth, 100Mb ports with Gb uplinks seem to be the price/performance sweet spot.

Keep in mind that in this type of application, if you do ever get to the point where you need full gigabit ports on individual cameras, you will then need 10Gb ports going to the NVR, and on the NVR itself, and you'll be far beyond current disk capability.

So, when you need gigabit at the camera, you will still need a better switch, and a better NVR....

I got Cisco pro desktop managed switch, 9 ports (8 are full power PoE), a refurb for $100 on eBay (normally about $400ish). It's full gigabit on all ports in case I want to plug an extra non-PoE device requiring gigabit.