Sign in to follow this  
Wizz

Burial vs Outdoor rated Cat5e in conduit

I have a ~150ft run to get to the house, I searched the forums with little info. Can I use outdoor rated cable inside of non-metallic conduit that will be sealed and vented to interior...or should I use burial grade cable (more expensive)?

Thanks

Low Voltage wiring such as Cat5e/6, twisted pairs, coaxial is permitted in non-metalic conduit such as pvc, abs for burial exterior applications.

Make sure that you clean and sand all surfaces to be glued and use proper primer and solvent rated for your conduit. Proper cleaning and prep will ensure that your joints remain water tight.

When backfilling the gravel and sand, take care not to place large stones that may damage your conduit when your do your final tamping.

Also, go big with the conduit. I use min. 2" diameter conduit for most of my burial runs.

We use a lot of outdoor rated in conduit as long as it is water blocking you should be fine. You can get water in conduit from condensation as well as leaks I would 2nd going to 2 inch as when the gound settles the conduit will flex and the smaller stuff becomes impossible to pull through.