SonnyD

Any suggestions for setting up a learning type lab

Hi All

I am trying to learn cameras in general but mostly IP

So I am looking for some advice what cameras, lens and tools to buy to get an idea of what’s going on

I have all the tools and test equipment for data cabling , Fiber optic and POE nothing specifically for cameras

Basically I’m trying to put together a learning lab, I have a $1000 budget

Any suggestions and is $1000 budget realistic?

Thanks

If it were me I'd start with a good lux meter and an ISO 12233 chart to evaluate clarity of image from different cameras under measurable conditions.

Thanks Kawboy

I found the iso chart link on here, I assume that will work if I have it printed.

Any recommendations on the lux meter, they seem to from nothing up to hundreds.

Thanks again

Anything else?

I don't have one but would like one so unfortunately I can't give you anything that google can't. Low lux separates the cams from the toys in many situations so I would look for meters with better precision in lower light conditions. Spending some time on ipvm.com might be a good investment as well.

If you want to learn some of the ins and outs of IP cams, it's not a bad idea to start with a camera with a varifocal lens. Also, a 3 axis dome and a bullet are good for learning, as there are differences in how they're mounted and deployed.

Here's what I'd use for a learning setup:

- A couple of different cams, like the 3 axis dome and bullet, maybe one vari-focal and one fixed, or whatever you're interested in

- Some spare lenses if you get a fixed lens cam; lots to learn there!

- A POE switch and cables

- An inexpensive IR illuminator from Amazon

- A motion detect white light

- A PC or laptop

- A variety of software to test out - Blue Iris demo version, Milestone Xprotect Go free version, whatever came with the cameras, and any other demos that sound interesting

- Some targets that will give you reproducible results, like the ISO 12233 chart, the Siemens star, and anything else that might fill your needs.

You'll want some areas with different illumination to test, depending on what your uses may be. A typical suburban street with streetlights, a dark back yard, whatever.

Many cams these days don't have standard screw mounts. For the ones that do, I like a tall tripod for testing; it allows you to move the camera around easily and keeps it stable. For other cams, I use a ladder and a towel; the towel helps aim it and stabilize it, but anything that works is good. I've also mounted some on boards and hung them from hooks in the eaves.

That should be enough to keep you busy for months!

SonnyD, We regularly use an Extech LT300 (costs ~$150) and it works well even in low light.

We've also tested a number of lux meter smartphone apps but they work very poorly in low light, which defeats the purpose for surveillance. We also tried Luxi which is a ~$30 add on to an iphone. It actually works pretty well but it needs to be calibrated against a real lux meter (like the Extech above) to be accurate.

That said, I am not sure how critical a lux meter is for a learning type lab. It's more helpful for doing more advanced testing/comparison/specification.

I'd agree on the lux meter. I also have an Extech, and they're the best value in general, but I rarely use it for camera testing.

I consider the lux meter to be more useful if you're doing a site survey of a potential customer, to see what conditions they have. Just for a learning lab I wouldn't consider it a necessity.

If you want to learn some of the ins and outs of IP cams, it's not a bad idea to start with a camera with a varifocal lens. Also, a 3 axis dome and a bullet are good for learning, as there are differences in how they're mounted and deployed.

Here's what I'd use for a learning setup:

- A couple of different cams, like the 3 axis dome and bullet, maybe one vari-focal and one fixed, or whatever you're interested in

- Some spare lenses if you get a fixed lens cam; lots to learn there!

- A POE switch and cables

- An inexpensive IR illuminator from Amazon

- A motion detect white light

- A PC or laptop

- A variety of software to test out - Blue Iris demo version, Milestone Xprotect Go free version, whatever came with the cameras, and any other demos that sound interesting

- Some targets that will give you reproducible results, like the ISO 12233 chart, the Siemens star, and anything else that might fill your needs.

You'll want some areas with different illumination to test, depending on what your uses may be. A typical suburban street with streetlights, a dark back yard, whatever.

Many cams these days don't have standard screw mounts. For the ones that do, I like a tall tripod for testing; it allows you to move the camera around easily and keeps it stable. For other cams, I use a ladder and a towel; the towel helps aim it and stabilize it, but anything that works is good. I've also mounted some on boards and hung them from hooks in the eaves.

That should be enough to keep you busy for months!

Plus a set of lens filters and vehicle number plate

Ilkie