firegoldlynx

DS-2CD2032-I 4mm Target Range

Need to some help installing the Hikvision 4mm DS-2CD2032-I bullet.

What are some of the best practices for fixed focal length cameras with respect to target focus?

Does this camera have a specific range suitable to the camera?

How do you find out what that range is?

--Thanks

Pretty sure you can't focus that camera. First, it's a PITA to remove the rubber plugs put there to prevent you from opening the camera, then getting a tool in there to remove the tiny screws that easily strip, had to drill mine out. Then there's layers of circuit boards with delicate ribbon cables and board to board connectors and more tiny, tiny screws to remove. Now you have this big mess of parts and you have to focus it whiles it's running and hope you don't knock the focus out of whack and hope the camera still works after putting it all back together. Then the lens is glued in place, so you'll have to break the glue bond. Other than thats, it's a piece of cake.

If you want to change focal length, focus the camera, get the next model up, the 2CD2632F-I about $259 shipped and has a varifocal lens with wand to focus and change focal length. To help focus, get the largest monitor you can and put an object like a test chart where you want the center of your focus and focus the best you can. It's tedious, so take your time and don't except close enough just because you are in a rush.

Yeah I can only imagine what a bear it would be to change.

I think my problem is I don't know enough about optics and I think what I'm trying to ask is objective.

Let me ask a different way.

Does this camera out of the box have better focus on an object at 10, 15, 20, 30 meters etc...

So if you could place this specific camera anywhere with the intent to capture facial features what range would you have to stay within.

Closer would be better, but there must be an upper limit and how does optional 4mm 6mm 12mm lens option impact that range.

I have the 12mm in front of my home looking down the street on my review of the camera, and the stop sign at the end of the street, about 400' away and the nearest object is about 20' away and it's all razor sharp. The 4mm is probably focused more closer, probably objects 5-40' as objects about 50-60' seem out of focus but still decent. Also, I have the 12mm at my lake house (again, pictures in my review), where you can see the homes across the lake which may be 1,000' - 1,500' away.

And you want to do your focusing in low light conditions. A camera that appears to be focused fine in bright daylight may look horrible in low light. You can simulate low light by placing a piece of dark car window tint in front of the lens while focusing. Welders glass also works but may be harder to find.

Focus will be less of an issue during the day. Unless the factory focuses a camera at virtually point blank range it'll be useful at a wide range of distances during the day. Night is slightly more problematic, but those bullets with 4mm lenses seem to be workhorses for common mounting distances- ie pretty good wherever you want to use them. If they're out of focus at longer distances, well, the pixel count is too low to tell and things look like you'd expect when you blow something up past the useful pixel density anyway. At night I think the sensor is more problematic than the focus. The focus works well enough at 5 to 20 or maybe 30 feet or so and after that things are pretty lousy anyway. If you want distance performance you're better off with the 6 or 12 mm version (or a varifocal model) rather than trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, if you know what I mean.

Focusing at night really only applies to cameras with auto iris feature, the lower feature cameras like the ds02cd2032 are fixed iris so really no difference in focusing during the day or night.

We sell the motorized version vari-focal bullet...not too many people buys it due to upfront cost, but you can remotely adjust focus/zoom (through the PTZ control), I think the hours of labor saved can justify the extra cost, especially if someone wants you to go all the way back to the job site just to readjust the focus/zoom...