jw9424

Basic IP setup

Hi Guys. New here. I've been reading here for a week or so. I need a basic IP POE camera system at my house, specifically for my driveway to start. Had some items stolen from my pickup. I'm still a little confused on exactly what hardware I need. So I need cameras, poe network switch to go to the router and software installed on a computer to view/manage the the video. Is that about it for a basic system to start? I just want to get a couple cameras up and going on the driveway to start, then build up from there.

Any suggestions/links to suggested hardware would be appreciated. I would like to get a couple cameras up and running for $500-$1000 if possible. Thanks for any help.

Well, I bought a camera (Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I) and a POE switch and got the camera running. Looks like to motion record I'm going to need an NAS or NVR. Is there a way to record straight to the computer (Win7) that's running the software? Leaning towards just getting an NVR. Any suggestions on a reasonably priced NVR compatible with this camera? Thanks for any help.

Well, I bought a camera (Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I) and a POE switch and got the camera running. Looks like to motion record I'm going to need an NAS or NVR. Is there a way to record straight to the computer (Win7) that's running the software? Leaning towards just getting an NVR. Any suggestions on a reasonably priced NVR compatible with this camera? Thanks for any help.

Hikvision has an NVR that may be in your price range.

You could use Blue Iris as the recording software on the computer and just put in a second hard drive if you only want to record 1 camera.