sf1964

best connections to lcd monitor?

l managed to get hold of a free lcd 15inch monitor,was wondering what the best connection to a dvr or pc computer would be for the best picture quality ie,s-video ,bnc etc and will it be prone to burn in??

my pc monitor is shot!So it came at a good time!

If you're connecting to a PC or DVR, by all means use the VGA input. Next would be the S-VHS input to achieve better quality than the composite. Generally, most LCD monitors are great with VGA, but supply a cheap composite input circuit.

LCD's are great, however won't beat traditional CRT monitors.

sf1964....If you're using fixed cameras, have them rotate as they will "burn" or "retain" an image. From experience, turning the monitor off or switching cameras will help.

Cheers.....Rapid

thanks rapid,l have a crt and l got the burn in,how do you rotate cameras?do you put it on loop or do you manully go change the camera view,please clarify.

thanks rapid,l have a crt and l got the burn in,how do you rotate cameras?do you put it on loop or do you manully go change the camera view,please clarify.

Sorry....rotate would be to switch camera views from one camera to another.

Don't know if this monitor has a screen saver, but the PC will.

If you have pan/tilt camera, you may notice lag as the camera moves horizontally....FYI

Rapid

heck if you are hooking up from a pc and have it use a DVI output. Thats the signal transmitted without compressing it. The whole shabang. But then again. Most dont have it.

Most of the better video cards have the DVI input.

LCD burn in? CRT's get burned in images easily if the image doesn't change much.

I guess I haven't left an LCD running long enough to see a burn in, but I also use a screen saver no matter what I am using now.

i have the nuvico dvr, not pc based, so l couldnt put a screen saver on the monitor hence the burn in of aprox 12 cameras,7 with no image,just says video loss that you can see on the screen!!!

Is there anyway to get rid of burn in???

how long did you have the monitor for ..?

5 years and we didnt get burn in on a 21" color Monitor here ..

i have the nuvico dvr, not pc based, so l couldnt put a screen saver on the monitor hence the burn in of aprox 12 cameras,7 with no image,just says video loss that you can see on the screen!!!

Is there anyway to get rid of burn in???

If it is a CRT nope.

The phosphorus has been burned into the tube. You would need to replace the tube. The chassis board would still be ok, but with the prices today it's better to just replace the monitor.

l have had it one and a half years,come to think of it l think it is just a regular 19 in monitor,l bought from a supply house,it might not be crt!

Monitor, TV - same thing.

If it has a tube forget it. They have kits to make worn out tubes look better, but nothing will remove the burn in that I am aware of.

Edited by Guest

cheap price or cheap components?l thought it was a good deal at the time considering the size and resolution!!

Any recommendations or shall l use the lcd for now!!

LCD wont be good quality, CRT CCTV Monitor will be 99% better quality image. Samsungs are good for the price. GE has some nice ones also, more expensive.

Thats why I bought a DLP screen. Better Technology.

Don't have to worry about pixels dying and ruining your picture.

Plasmas look better, but they haven't quite perfected them yet.

Plus their a lot more expensive.

I just change a light bulb when my DLP set goes out. No pixel death.