slipperypete

Need a 6-8 camera system for my home (suggestions please)

I have been lurking these forums and see a lot of negative thoughts/experience for the all-in-one systems I could buy at the big box stores. So I thought I'll see if anyone could suggest a system for me. I only have experience with 2 systems.

I currently own a digital watchdog DW VMAX 16 Channerl with 1 TB. The interface is ok, but their are a few thing I don't care for: it is loud, I can't playback recordings on my mobile devices (only live view), it only works in internet explorer, and the highest resolution I can set is 720x480. I only paid $200 for this DVR but I also read a few complaints on this board about digital watchdog. I tried to call their tech support today and couldn't get through either. I have no problem boxing it up and selling it on ebay to help fund my new system.

The other system I have a little experience with is IDView. I do IT work for a couple of companies that have these systems installed. They use free apps with ads for the playback, but the playback quality is very nice. A friend installs these systems, but I think these will be out of my budget.

Budget: $1,000 or under.

Type of Cameras: As long as they are decent quality I have no real preference, but I do want one good camera to put in the front of my house to hopefully read license plates. My house is about 30' from the street. I have a couple of 700TVL Loftek cameras still in the box that I can return if they don't fit my new system.

# of cameras: I need a minimum of 6, but I could easily use up to 10. So my DVR/NVR would need to be at least 8 channels, preferably 16.

Features:

- I want live viewing & remote playback from my phone/tablet which are both android devices.

- I would love a system that doesn't require Internet Explorer. I'm an IT guy... I haven't used IE in about 15 years for good reason.

- IP is obviously preferred as I am an IT guy, but a BNC system would acceptable if that is all I can afford.

- I would like a somewhat quiet system.

edited to add: If you think an all-in-one system is the best bet for me, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this. I really appreciate it.

I guess network video capture cards and analog cameras would fall within your budget, if you do install them. I know the card can provide remote access to recording file as well as preview, on your smart phone.

You can search Ebay or youtube.

Thanks Kim. I just realized I have a Synology NAS that I can use as a NVR. It has been a backup device for a while and I never thought about using it for a NVR.

So... anyone have suggestions for any IP cameras in the $100-150 range?

Thanks Kim. I just realized I have a Synology NAS that I can use as a NVR. It has been a backup device for a while and I never thought about using it for a NVR.

So... anyone have suggestions for any IP cameras in the $100-150 range?

Hikvision currently has several models on sale within that range.

http://secsecur.ca/promos