Sign in to follow this  
rps2967

Viewing NVR on multiple Smart TV's

I'm working in an office building and we have an 8-camera Lorex 1080P NVR system. The picture quality is great and we can view the NVR from any computer on the network, or remotely on iPad's and smartphones. We would also like to be able to view the cameras from multiple Samsung Smart TV's in our building. I was hoping we could just point the TV's browsers to the IP address of the NVR, but the Samsung browser will not install the Lorex plugin necessary to view the cameras. I am looking for alternative solutions that don't involve running a mess of new wiring...the only wiring we currently have in place to the TV's is regular coax for cable TV. The NVR has HDMI and VGA out for a monitor, and my first thought was using a RF modulator to piggyback the video onto an unused cable TV channel. I've never tried this on new HDTV's and don't even know if it's possible with the new digital tuners. My other concern would be picture quality...I'm sure the 1080P NVR output will be scaled down quite a bit and will probably look terrible on the HDTV's. Does anybody have any great ideas or alternatives?

The ZeeVee product looks appealing but is expensive at $1200. I was hoping for a cheaper solution, but I guess going digital and HD is expensive...

Could somebody share experience about how to display an IP NVR via smart TV? My client wants to have 8 smart TVs, and in all of them to have ability to see live/recorded cameras view.

His smart TV is connected to the Wifi router. Thanks.

Could somebody share experience about how to display an IP NVR via smart TV? My client wants to have 8 smart TVs, and in all of them to have ability to see live/recorded cameras view.

The problem is that most NVR's / DVR's require a plug in of some sort to give you all of the functionality and Smart TV's simply cannot handle that. Your best option is to just attach a small laptop to each TV and let the laptop do the work with the TV essentially being a giant monitor. You could do it with one laptop and an HDMI splitter too. If you went that route you can extend the HDMI using CAT-6 and go quite a distance.

The problem is that most NVR's / DVR's require a plug in of some sort to give you all of the functionality and Smart TV's simply cannot handle that. Your best option is to just attach a small laptop to each TV and let the laptop do the work with the TV essentially being a giant monitor. You could do it with one laptop and an HDMI splitter too. If you went that route you can extend the HDMI using CAT-6 and go quite a distance.

Why LAPTOP ?

put Android TV Box with each TV and u done

(network connections need it )

Why LAPTOP ?

put Android TV Box with each TV and u done

(network connections need it )

Are you proposing the use of an Android app to view the cameras? That could work, and would certainly be cheaper way to do it assuming you had a compatible app. I only suggested a laptop because it gives you direct access to the NVR and gives you all of the functionality of the NVR if you needed to make changes, search for video, or maybe move a PTZ. Sometimes an app will limit those things.

Are you proposing the use of an Android app to view the cameras? That could work, and would certainly be cheaper way to do it assuming you had a compatible app. I only suggested a laptop because it gives you direct access to the NVR and gives you all of the functionality of the NVR if you needed to make changes, search for video, or maybe move a PTZ. Sometimes an app will limit those things.

Are u proposing to use number of Laptops ?

read OP

"We would also like to be able to view the cameras from multiple Samsung Smart TV's in our building"

I wanna see ppl use multiple Laptops

Right

I don't think that is an issue to be honest. Hardware wise it will be just fine, and since the screen on the laptop would not be running (the most likely part to fail) than this willbe just as durable as any other option and it gives full functionality if required. I am not talking about a bargain basement laptop, spend 7-800 bucks to get something decent and things will be just fine.

Lenovo Mulitimedia Remote with Keyboard N5902 + Wyse Thin client.

Cons- VGA

PRO- 7watt power

Would be a plus if youre running terminal server...

I don't think that is an issue to be honest. Hardware wise it will be just fine, and since the screen on the laptop would not be running (the most likely part to fail) than this willbe just as durable as any other option and it gives full functionality if required. I am not talking about a bargain basement laptop, spend 7-800 bucks to get something decent and things will be just fine.

Scott look around

ppl have hard time spend $ 100-150 for cameras

u want them to use $ 800 laptop