Hello all,

This is my first time posting. I am seeking purchasing advice for an IP camera.

Here is my use-case.

• I need to monitor a single location that is approximately 20m (60ft) from the camera location.
    I only need to do this once. I do not need continuous monitoring of this location after this project.
    I would like to use this camera for future surveillance projects so some flexibility with the optics would be good.
    I have to be able to clearly see facial features in both day and night from 60ft. It would nice to have even slightly more range at night.
    I do not need Pan-tilt-zoom, but I'd like to be able to swap out lenses for future surveillance situations.
    I need to be able to store images locally on the camera as the location is away from wi-fi or POE.
    Motion detection is necessary since the location is very low traffic.
    Camera will be mounted outdoors for this project but it would be nice if it could work indoors as well for future use.
    I would like for it to be wifi compatible for flexibility of future use.
    I'd really like to not spend more than $350USD

Basically I need to be able to retrieve the files from the local storage on the camera after the event occurs. I'll know if the event has happened within 24-48 hours.

Am I within the realm of possibilities here?

I'm imagining a high resolution fixed camera with strong IR LEDs and swappable lenses with a microSD slot and wifi.

What minimum resolution is required for this type of application?

Ideas on which camera fits the bill?

Thanks in advance.

First, to ID someone with say a 3MP camera at 20m, you would have to get 12mm telephoto lens and have a very narrow field of view, like 22 degrees because of the 12mm lens. You can get a wide angle lens, but then you can only ID someone say at 7-8m.

And since you want to change lens, what I hear you say is you want to adjust the focal length to suit the need, get a varifocal cameras, many that are 3-12mm.

buellwinkle, thanks so much for your reply.

I'm looking at the Hikvision DS-2CD2632F-I 3.0MP VF IR Bullet Network Camera

http://www.hikvision.com/en/us/Products_show.asp?id=9128

It has everything I asked for except the wifi.

Question: Is it possible to attach a cheap wifi adapter to these devices and get to be wifi compatible?

I'm thinking something like the Netgear WNCE2001 Universal WiFi Adapter

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/connected-entertainment/gaming-home-theater/WNCE2001.aspx#tab-techspecs

Has anyone ever managed to cobble one of these onto a wifi-less ip camera with success?

If you want facial recognition in low light. You need to source a camera that works in low light first. Look at cameras with 1.3Mp or less.

If you must have a bullet style camera with integrated IR leds, source a camera that has adaptive or smart leds to help reduce the glare/over exposure caused by the bright IR leds.

Separate IR LED illuminators are still the best way to get the image you want.

This is an outdoor camera, so I'm assuming you will be using it outdoors so you'll need an outdoor access point. Engenius and Ubiquiti make outdoor access points at reasonable prices, typically under $100. The Ubiquiti Picostation is nice and small.

If the access point can be indoors, then it's easier, there's tons for sale for cheap, $20+ that are routers but can be configured as access points. I like the Edimax BR-6258n, very small, works well for me.

Facial ID under low light @ 50+ feet distance is difficult for most MP cameras.

If you can add additional lighting near target or reduce your camera distance, you can make the task easier.

Otherwise, look at increasing your budget alot...