andresdamas

PASSIVE BALUN BOTH END WITH STATIC VIDEO ISSUES

Guys,

I just made an installation 24 cameras with a regular analog stand alone dvr we ran cat5 to multiple locations, runs are not longer than 100feet away from dvr, I am using cheap passive balun in both end, when i pluged in the cameras at the dvr, some cameras has a very nasty static issues, so cable are ran outside the wall, so there is no high tension cables or light around.

Also some cable has that issue and some doesn't on the same run, when i move connector sometime i can remove the issue sometime no

how can I solve this situation?

what I have done:

1.- i switched DVR and i had the same issue

2.- where the DVR is located there is not any high voltage cable around

I am thinking to change the stupid cheap balun, is that the right option to go? please any advice will be very helpful

Thank you for your times guys!!

did you make your own cat5 cables? did you test them afterwards?

I purchased the cat5 from a local vendor that I use to buy from, dont get me wrong I hate working with balun, but I usedn 4 cables cat5 run to install 8 out the 20 cameras, I have done before without any problem, I was just trying to take advantage of cat5 running one cable to just one location with 2 cameras

........The balun are passive so 2 pair in data balun and 2 pair for power with a power male connector so running cat5 (4 pair) give me an option to run 2 cameras with just one cable

run siemesse cable rg59 was not an option due to the thickness of it.

I am trying to solve the same problem with a recent re-install of mine.

I tried all the cameras seperately on a my test screen and each produced a 'clean image'.

First you need to test check the VGA cable at both ends, see if there are any bent or broken pins in the plugs.

Try an alternative screen.

Next try a sample of the recordings and play back on a computer see if the DVR is recording the noise, if not

it could be the DVR's display or the screen.

Then you need to try another power supply, ( try this first actually) failing which, try another DVR if you can.

There is a uniform electrical noise across the entire screen, however the remote view is perfectly clean?

These little issues are sent to try our patience.

The issue you have with moving the cable and balun connection can be solved by stripping the conductor carefully and installing a 0.25mm ferrule before reinserting into the balun. You can then screw the clamps down onto the ferrule very tightly withot fear of fracturing the copper conductor. This DOES work. Tried and tested

I use insulated ferrules purely because they have colours identifying their size and I use a CK stripper on 0.25mm cable cat5 (and cat6) which prevents and weakening scores in the conductor, the ferrules are crimped and then either screwed or pushed into the balun depending on which typ of fitting they have. Nowadays I use an automatic crimper but the style shown worked well too.

237468_1.1237468_2.1237468_3.1237468_4.1

I am thinking to change the stupid cheap balun, is that the right option to go? please any advice will be very helpful

Post pictures of those baluns you are using...

I use cheap baluns from a known source and only one batch gave me a problem. However on the installation I refer to I used quality baluns costing nearly 3 times the price I normally pay. Like I said I use ferrules between the conductor and the baluns and they never cause issues.

237604_1.1.............................................. 237604_2.1

My usual SC baluns cheap but they work well with my

4 way and 8 way balun receivers ............................................................................... My better quality SC baluns (RJ45 version shown with power and Video signal)

The issue you have with moving the cable and balun connection can be solved by stripping the conductor carefully and installing a 0.25mm ferrule before reinserting into the balun. You can then screw the clamps down onto the ferrule very tightly withot fear of fracturing the copper conductor. This DOES work. Tried and tested

I use insulated ferrules purely because they have colours identifying their size and I use a CK stripper on 0.25mm cable cat5 (and cat6) which prevents and weakening scores in the conductor, the ferrules are crimped and then either screwed or pushed into the balun depending on which typ of fitting they have. Nowadays I use an automatic crimper but the style shown worked well too.

237468_1.1237468_2.1237468_3.1237468_4.1

I am still looking for a supplier in Canada, I really want to start using these. To avoid using them I have considered using baluns which have an RJ45 jack instead of screw down terminals.

Are you using the same pair for the positive and negative video signals? If you are try using blue and blue which for positive and green and green white for negative, see if that helps any.

I am still looking for a supplier in Canada, I really want to start using these. To avoid using them I have considered using baluns which have an RJ45 jack instead of screw down terminals.

Are you using the same pair for the positive and negative video signals? If you are try using blue and blue which for positive and green and green white for negative, see if that helps any.

If you search Yahoo Canada for 'w ire end ferrules' you will find a few suppliers.

Once you start using these you'll be surprised how many you get through.

Get a good ratchet controlled crimp tool.

For single conductors you'll need 0.25mm (colours are immaterial)**

For two conductors twisted together you'll need 0.5mm**

For three conductors twisted together you'll nee 0.75mm **( may need 1mm on threes if they don't twist uniformly)

and for four conductors twisted together you'll need 1mm* ( may need 1.5mm on fours if they don't twist uniformly)

**I buy 500 at a time

*I buy 200 at a time

Get a good depth controlled wire stripper like the one I have, close it twist it to score the insulation then gently pull it off. You won't stretch the conductor.

TIP: get a small 'pocket sized' peppermint tin and (after finishing the mints) keep some ferrules in the tin as carrying a divided box around or up a ladder is a nuisance

237830_1.1237830_2.1

Good idea!

Where's best place/price in UK for these ferrules?

What mm is required for .24guage cat5e cable

cheers

Good idea!

Where's best place/price in UK for these ferrules?

What mm is required for .24guage cat5e cable

cheers

24awg requires a ferule of 0.25-0.5 mm either will work correctly with 24awg solid core cable.

These are available in branches of CEF but they aren't cheap. Tip even a cheap ferrule works well with a good crimp tool.