CBX

Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I questions

Hi

Sorry if these are lame newbie questions I shouldn't be asking.

I'm thinking of getting 4 Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I cams and plan to have them record only due to motion detection. I've looked at the online manual which seems to suggest this is possible. I am not interested in image snapshots only which some other cams seem to only offer, but rather video. Additionally, other cam manuals seem to offer only 10 - 20 seconds recording in motion detection situations which always leaves me wondering what happens if there is 40 seconds of action (2 files or 20 seconds missing?).

Recording to a NAS, do these cameras record video upon motion detection (hardware not using software) to a NAS for as long as there is something happening?

I plan to have 4 pointing to the same NAS on a 100mbps network, although motion would be reasonably rare (say 10 - 20 times a day). Does this sound reasonable? I'd rather the cam had SD card but cams that do are out of my price range it seems.

Last but not least can you telnet to these cams? Had a poke in the firmware and it looks like you can but like to ask those that know!

I'm in the UK so any recommendations about where to buy would be appreciated.

Cheers

You can telnet in, the password is the same as the web interface password or admin/12345 by default.

You can define motion detect zones and then trigger recordings based on movement in those zones.

You can record to NAS, but it's not easy, only NFS is supported and even then, only seems to work with some NFS devices, not all. The latest release which is still in beta testing is supposed to make this better. I had the best luck with Synology NAS devices and wrote and article on my blog.

There are Hikvision distribution partners in the UK, four of them - http://www.hikvision.com/EN/distributionPartner-india.asp?leftmenu=open&cid=14&countryId=190011

Thanks for the reply - that clears some things up.

So there is no 20 second max duration in the event of motion detection.

I don't mind NFS as the NAS box is my linux box which also runs XBMC (I plan to use XBMC to view live streams and watch motion detection recordings from the night before).

Haven't setup NFS for a few years but as a former linux sys admin I'm sure it will all come back. I appreciate that this depends on the implementation on the cameras though - thanks for pointing that out. Could you give me a link to your blog?

There's quite a large price difference between the cameras in the US and the UK which might make it worth importing, though there is postage and import duty to consider.

The blog is in my signature line, click "general" category on the right, it's the first article.

From my understanding, the price difference may be more from VAT and other import duties that your country imposes, not the cost of the camera. Maybe there's some deals to be had on eBay in the UK.

The other problem is the U.S. dollar is weak relative to the Pound so that plays into pricing so everything in the U.S. must seem like a bargain. When the tables were turned and the Canadian dollar was 0.75 to 1, it seemed like Canada was on sale.

The cheapest in the UK seems to be around the £150 mark, which is $245. So, £600 for 4 cameras or $1000.

Will keep looking around suppliers to see if I can do better

...could really have spotted your blog link if I'd have had my eyes open

You can easily by it via aliexpress.com.

I got two of these cameras for around 250 Euros including VAT and duties.

Shipment took them 6 days from China via DHL Express (USD12)

You can easily by it via aliexpress.com.

I got two of these cameras for around 250 Euros including VAT and duties.

Shipment took them 6 days from China via DHL Express (USD12)

Are you in the UK though?

I had the idea of buying one Hikvision with an SD card, and pointing the other non SD card Hikvision's to it using NFS, effectively turning it into a NAS.

Admitedly that could be a problem if they all detected motion at the same time.

It didn't look in the firmware image that NFS server support was enabled (fair enough given the intended purpose), but I wondered if I could compile a suitable binary with NFS server support and put it in the writable part of the file system.

Just sharing my thoughts on this.

You can't record from one camera to the other. If you want to use SD cards to record, you need that each camera have that feature.

Edited by Guest

I have a couple questions about the Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I also.

I know the camera has built in software and settings for recording to a NFS, how do they settings affect the output if I want to use something like Blue Iris. For example if I have settings like timestamp on the video, color settings, etc set in the cameras web interface, will Blue Iris inherit these? Or does it just get a raw stream from the camera and Blue Iris will have it own settings? I don't have a NFS so I want to use something like Blue Iris and save directly to hard drive.

Where can I download the latest firmware from on the Hikvision website?

You can record from one camera to the other. If you want to use SD cards to record, you need that each camera have that feature.

Any idea how one SD card camera records to the SD card in a different camera? One of them would need to be running some kind of server.

You can record from one camera to the other. If you want to use SD cards to record, you need that each camera have that feature.

Really? You can record from one Hikvision camera to the SD card on another Hikvision camera?

I have a couple questions about the Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I also.

I know the camera has built in software and settings for recording to a NFS, how do they settings affect the output if I want to use something like Blue Iris. For example if I have settings like timestamp on the video, color settings, etc set in the cameras web interface, will Blue Iris inherit these? Or does it just get a raw stream from the camera and Blue Iris will have it own settings? I don't have a NFS so I want to use something like Blue Iris and save directly to hard drive.

Where can I download the latest firmware from on the Hikvision website?

Blue Iris, and most NVR software/hardware, can record whatever the camera puts out, as BW mentioned earlier. That's the raw stream - whatever you see on the camera's web page.

In addition, BI can add its own overlays - time/date, privacy blocking, etc - but these increase CPU utilization. It doesn't support on-camera motion detect, but other software does.

That's the point behind by NFS server idea - if I could compile NFS support the camera might be able to share out it's own SD card to other non SD cams.

I think it's definately technically possible - but as for whether anyone can actually do it I'm not sure. A new busybox would be needed, not sure about kernel (the latter requiring custom firmware).