Sign in to follow this  
newkidontheblock

Baby/Nanny monitoring solution for Home

I am a newbie and I am sorry for the long post but I wanted to give as much information about my need as possible.

I have two young kids and we need nanny help from time to time.

We live in a two story home and there are times kids are playing in the basement and we will love to keep on eye on them.

A few years ago I did not do much research and purchased two IP cameras made by Sharx Security. I only checked reviews on Amazon.com. One of them has IR and I am using it in one of our kids bedroom. They can record to SD card or NAS. I have no problems with them but the resolution is on the low side so I will not buy these cameras again.

We typically don't do any recording but if we have a new babysitter we may choose to record the videos on NAS.

I will be purchasing Synology DS414 NAS in near future.

Needs are:

1. Camera for baby room. It is mainly used to keep an eye on the baby at night so having IR is important. Most rooms in my home have Cat 5e but it not at the best location in each room. So I am looking for a wifi camera for placement flexibility. Room size is 12 by 15. Baby crib is in the middle of the room so the camera will be place about 8-10 feet across from the crib.

Looking for a wifi, cube with IR, sd and NAS recording capability, 2 way audio nice to have feature as well.

Narrowed the choices down to

Brickcom WMB500AP: It has wifi and has IR. It is a bit over $300 so a bit pricey. It is 5MP with two way audio.

Messoa NCC800(WL): Messoa does not seem as popular but this model seems to have features I need. It is 2 MP, IR, 2 way audio for around $225

2. Camera in the home theater/playing room. This is a 17 x 25. Sofa's are placed about 17 feet and the actual play area is 17x17.

Camera will be installed in the ceiling so I am thinking mini dome. If the kids are playing lights are typically on so IR is not a requirement but nice to have feature. The camera will be installed close to a projector and I am not sure if IR will cause interference and distort the video that is projected to the screen. I have power outlet and Cat5e at this location.

I am considering

HikVision Hikvision DS-2CD7164-E with 2.8 mm lens

GeoVision GV-MFD130

Brickcom FD-131Af

3. Camera in dedicated play room. It is 12 x 17 in size. Cat 5e is available along with power at one location in this room but I am considering using WIFI and place the camera on the window Sill. IR is not needed as playroom is well lit. I have tried one of my current cameras but it does not show me the entire room because the lens is not wide enough. So I am considering Wifi PTZ if possible.

both are wireless and PTZ

Messoa NDZ760 (wireless)

Vivotek PT8133W

I have been reading this forum for a month. I have also read networkcameracritic forum as well.

Read amazon reviews as well. Know enough to rule out brands like foscam, Ycam, dropcam, hootoo etc.

It seems to me that more I know the more confused I am becoming.

I already have 2 cameras from Sharx Securities. How important is it for me to buy my 3 additional camera from the same manufacturer?

Are there any other cameras I should consider in this price range?

I need to get these cameras in place by early next year and I am simply paralyzed by the number of options and choices.

Thanks

I basically had the same problem and I actually bought a Brickcom first but the software (iOS and Windows ActiveX) was terrible. I ended up getting Hikvision cube cameras from AliExpress. I have two DS-2CD8464F-EIW and one DS-2CD2432F-IW. The main reason I went with Hikvision is because they have a built in NVR so I don't have to use a NAS. Just pop one of these guys in a location along with an SD card and you are good to go. Additionally, you can be view/playback via iOS/Android app, Windows/Mac app or a we browser.

DS-2CD8464F-EIW

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hikvision-130-million-network-cameras-DS-2CD8464F-EIW-PIR-human-detection-monitoring-WIFI/1397050591.html

S-2CD2432F-IW

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/wholesale-Hikvision-DS-2CD2432F-IW-IP-Camera-network-camera/1472253824.html

Actually, at market have provide baby monitor kits, one cam and one portable monitor. Or you can put a cubic IP camera at kids room. But REMEMBER DO NOT PICK UP IR WHICH MAY HARM KIDS EYE.