Sign in to follow this  
telljcl

Hikvision Chinese Cam - No NTSC / 30 fps? I see 25fps max

Just purchased a Chinese Hikvision DS-2CD2332-I from Wrightwood, and can't see anywhere to "tell" the camera to not be PAL. I realize that NTSC / PAL aren't that relevant in the progressive scan digital age, but it is limiting my frame-rate to 25fps in any resolution. Also, the 15fps that should be attainable in the 3mp resolution is only 12.5.

Am I missing a simple setting somewhere?

I looked at the firmware version on the camera, and it was pretty recent (not the newest, but I've seen a few comments on issues with 5.1). I saw the HikVision USA site had the same FW version on their site that was on the camera, so downloaded and "updated" the firmware (to the same version, but US), but I still have the same issue.

Are the Chinese cams "stuck" at 25fps max? I've never seen that anywhere before - maybe I've missed this point.

Thanks!

I believe there's a setting on the video page for 50 Hz vs 60 Hz that does the PAL vs NTSC setting. Someone posted that not long back. I'm not sure why they'd do it that way, but that's Chinese firmware for you.

I have about two dozen Chinese Hikvision from Wrightwood and just upgraded them all to 5.1. I'm not using any exotic features but I have not noticed anything flaky with this firmware. I get 20 fps at 3mp resolution

Go to Image Menu and expand "Video Adjustment" and set "Video Standard" to 60HZ

For what it's worth, other brands of cameras have this option including Mobotix which I played with last. Why it's there, don't know. Maybe it's related to the fact that light bulbs, especially LEDs blink at 60hz in the U.S. and if you film at 25fps you may get some of that flicker, so it's meant to reduce flicker.

Your comment regarding flicker is going in the right direction. However it is really about the simplifying the arithmetic of displaying an image at a digital display that has a refresh rate of 60 Hz. With 20 FPS, each frame is displayed three times on the display since 60÷20 is three.

25 FPS does not give an integer value for a 60 Hz refresh rate.

telljcl,

25 / 30 FPS may imply the camera's analog.

If the camera is IP camera & with 3M pixel sensor, then the CPU chipset inside may be very limited in power, compressing video at the given frame rate (30 FPS). Not quite sure it is tested for shipments for USA.

Please note that Monitors require at least 60 FPS. So displaying videos are duplicated from 25 FPS or 30 FPS.

Even Hikvision-China OEMs low graded products from its local factory/vendors. I would recommend Taiwan or Korean products. They are, at least, more accurate over their printouts.