utvols

Need Help, Bad Lines In Video

I have a couple of cameras I need some help with.

I have 5 cameras up in total on the system and only two of them are having major issues like the below. Both cameras having problems are Extreme B/W cameras (EX46 & EX10).

I'm a little new to installing, has anyone seen this before? Any suggestions as to what it could be?

Here are some sample shots from both cameras:

Backyard_01

backyard_01.JPG

Backyard_02

backyard_02.JPG

Garage_01

Garage_01.JPG

Garage_02

Garage_02.JPG

Here is an example from the same system of another camera that does not share the problem:

FrontYard_01.JPG

I have checked both cables for severe bends, cut off the existing cable ends and started from scratch with new cable ends. Problem still exists.

Please help, I'm pulling my hair out at this point.

DVR Card: GeoVision GV800

Power Supply: ALTV1224C

Cable: West Penn RG59 Siamese - Connecter: 3 piece BNC (soldered tip)

Example Shots Cameras:

Backyard Camera: Extreme CCTV – EX46NX.305A

Garage Camera: Extreme CCTV - EX10S.304W

Front Yard Camera: ProVideo - CVC-7705DNV

Thanks

Looks like you have a ground loop which generally causes these video "hum bars" where a light bar slowly drifts vertically through the picture. This is the 60Hz AC line.

Somewhere you have a ground loop, possibly at the card. Try pulling all the cameras off and then one by one reattaching. You may find the culprit.

You could also purchase a "hum bucker" or isolator for the troubled camera.

Cheers....Rapid

Are all the cameras using the same power supply? Ditek has an inexpensive ground loop isolator if thats the problem but it couls be alot of things. Is it just lines or is the video rolling??

Test each camera at the DVR end, but on a TV, CCTV Monitor, or Test monitor, and let us know. Need to make sure its not the DVR first, since only the BW cameras are doing it (?)

Also, when you say BNC soldered Tip? Crimp on or Twist On?

Distances to the trouble cameras, and distance to the camera that is not causing an issue?

Are you using 24VAC for all cameras?

Are the cables run by any High Voltage - lighting, etc?

Rory

work on finding/fixing the ground loop BEFORE you buy a ground loop isolator........it maybe something as simple as a bad cam, AC line bleed, ect.,

Ground loops always cause more problems down the road if covered up. Not saying GL's work or have a place......just look/test more before you make that decision.

did you soldier your connectors vice crimp them?

Thanks guys for the help. I will be home and will try some of your suggestions.

Rapid:

I will try one camera at a time and see what effect that has.

RVRBOY420007:

All cameras are on the same power supply. Both the Extreme cameras are 24V. The ProVideo and GANZ is 24V as well and are not having a problem. The lines in the video are rolling.

Rory:

I will try out what you said and connect them up to a test monitor and see what happens. There are two color cameras (the GANZ and the ProVideo) that are having no problem at all. There is a third color camera that is having a slight problem when compared to the B/W. This camera is a generic camera (3103). Color Sharp 1/3" CCD Weatherproof Infrared Day/Night 12V camera that I picked up from cctvimports.com (works very nice for the doorway application).

The BNC connectors are crimped with soldered gold plated tips.

The cable lengths for the two Extreme are; EX46 around 65FT and EX10S around 40FT. The other cameras are; GANZ around 30ft, 3103 around 40 ft, and ProVideo around 40ft.

The ProVideo, GANZ, and the two Extreme Cameras are all 24v, the 3103 is 12V.

I tried to keep both cameras as far away as possible from high voltage. The EX46 wire runs through the attic which has some high voltage lines for ceiling fans and lights. To test the AC interference theory I switched off both breakers for all the attic AC lines checked the camera but the problem persisted.

Here is a shot from the 3103 (notice it does have some interference):

FrontDoor_01

Frontdoor_01.JPG

Thanks for the responses. I certainly will be willing to purchase a GL transformer or isolator if that would fix these problems.

Any other suggestions?

also take one camera off the DVR at a time to see if that is a problem, disconect the power at to that camera at the same time.

Double check that the cameras are not making contact with any metal structure.

If they are, isolate them and if the problem disappears, refit with a suitable insulating material to prevent any re-occurance.

Sorry for the no response, I haven't had a chance to take a look at it yet.

I got flim flammed with the in-laws that came to town. I thought they were in town next week not this week. I’m hoping to get a chance to look at it Sunday after they leave.

remember, start by taking the cameras off the DVR one at a time, or take them all off and add them and see if you get a good image or what, my guess too is it may be something to do with that cheap camera .. maybe take that off first

Okay, sorry for the delay in my posts. We had company for a week and then I was out of town, now I’m back, and I just tried some of the suggestions that were posted. I had some interesting results.

First, I took Rory’s suggestion and disconnected every camera and hooked each up individually to a monitor. To my surprise every camera attached to the 13â€

if you have a 12VDC plug try the EX10 with that, and see what you get. If it is still bad, then try the EX46 with the 12VDC.

Also, i dont know as i havent used either camera yet, but if either of them have a Line Phase adjustment you may need to alter that when using 24VAC as they may be interfering, though Extreme would be the best to contact on that.

It could also be a bad power board on one of them. I have an EX45 here now that got all kinds of lines after 5 years, turns out to probably be a bad power board, or short on the camera boards.

Rory, I tried switching the EX10 to the 12vdc connection on the ALTV1224C. The picture on both cameras still had scan lines but not as bad as before. For grins I moved the EX46 to a 12vdc connection on the ALTV1224C and instantly the line problems on both cameras disappeared.

The problem must have something to do with the cameras running at 24vac together. I think the only thing that I’m loosing by running 12vdc is the built in IR capabilities of the EX46N. I will probably give Extreme a call in the next few days to see what they have to say about the configuration.

I can’t be happier ridding the problem though! Couldn’t have done it with out your help!

Thanks!

no prob, look for any line phase adjustments and line lock, that would effect the 24VAC only, so check that out. Also what size power supply is it (AMPs), and whats the total draw on all the cameras?

Though yeah with 12VDC the IR will draw more.

PM me if you want me to send one of the engineers an email.

Rory

UTvol,

I had a similar problem with EX-82's. I removed the extremes from the common power supply and uses a few wall warts (24 v wall transformers) on cheap power strip. Cleared up the problem. Something about Extreme cameras, they don't like to coexist with other cameras on a common power supply. Even Extreme support knows of the problem.

Thanks CSG, that’s something worth trying. I could use a couple of external supplies to play with anyways so I might try that out this weekend.

Rory, I will probably take you up on that email if the above doesn’t correct the issue.

PS: The ALTV1224C power supply is rated at 7.0 amps total. 3.5 amp @ 12VDC & 3.5 amp 24VAC

The power consumption rates on the cameras are:

3103 - 110ma

EX46N - 220ma

EX10S - 120ma

Thanks again!

I gotta admit i've never used them on the same power supply as other brands, just how the application was. In fact, there is something with some of the cameras where they will only support the warranty if it is on their Power Supply. That can actually be understandable to an extent, with all the OEM Power Supplies out there these days.

I have used the EX80's on an Altronix Multi Power Supply though, but they draw 1A each camera in 24VAC.

3000ma seems to be sufficient.

Though you could buy 2 x 1A 24VAC Power Supply Plugs from Radio shack and use them, see what you get. I have used them before with the EX82's when i couldnt get my hands on the Altronix supplies.

Rory