darren p.

Stand Alone DVR w/ video capture through network GUI?

I am looking for a Stand Alone DVR that I can connect to remotely via a TCP/IP interface and capture video clips to my PC's hard drive. I currently have a APPRO 3011 that lets me connect remotely and capture still images to my PC's hard drive but not video. It also needs to be Triplex so that I can capture, view and record all at the same time. It needs to be rack mountable as well. Do you guys know if there are any available stand alone DVRs that meet all of these needs? I posted this in the computer/networking forum but was referred to PC based capture cards, not stand alone units. I hope this isn't considered cross posting but I thought this was a more relevant forum. Any help is greatly appreciated. TIA!

Thanks for all of your input guys, this was real helpful. This project is going to be for a police department with various cameras set up at different locations across the town so they really only need to be single channel as each camera is going to be getting its own dedicated unit.

Rory, I know you recomended me to GE stand alone units in my other post but I had a bit of trouble locating them. Thanks for posting those links! I think the DVMre is just what I'm looking for, the high quality video will come in handy as the captured video will be used for evidence in court. Can you direct me to somewhere I can get a hold of a unit for evaluation or pricing?

I guess you would need to find the local rep in your area for a demo, ive always had to actually buy products, to test them out.

One thing to consider though, the evidence sharing quality of stand alones is not as good as a PC based, which is why I moved over to primarily PC based units, just food for thought.

Though if you hook up the video monitor output to a simple PC Capture card then you will get really high quality, just the typical method it uses compresses it. You could also connect the monitor output to a VCR and record to that if the courts dont take DVD or CD. They have some new technology out now in some of them though, so it may have improved. The StoreSafe Pro 2 for example uses its new WaveJet compression, which i think is just another way of saying Jpeg2000 ..

If still looking, please contact me. I've got a four channel DVR (Embedded) that allows you to also "record" (right click function) on the fly (to your PC running viewing software). A couple benefits are that the software will allow simultaneous display (up to sixteen cameras from any of our DVR's anywhere) on a screen at once (you can even create multiple pages of "groups"). Additionally these can record (not only four analog directly connected at 15ips each) but up to 12 ip cameras or servers (must be ours) at 5ips each. (and still do your remote capture to pc from them as well). Benefit (if dvr frame rate meets your needs) is that you have some options to use both DVR's and servers. Also, if you want to pull a clip from DVR locally, you can do so to USB "flash drive" and it also places "mini play" on drive (police like this as someone needs to load no software to view a clip) Finally, DVR uses a special wavelet compression for "legal integrity." Hope this makes sense. Anyway, if still in the market please contact me for a live demo - sounds like a cool application. Thanks, Rick (KrCCTV.com)