Sign in to follow this  
tibovdk

Dahua eco savvy low bandwidth

Hi guys,

I have came accross the new eco savvy cameras from DAHUA. These cameras are embedded with an Ambarella chipset (I guess it was Texas Instrument before), the same chipset that we can found into GoPro cameras for example. They are saying that they can reduce bandwidth usage by 50% with this new chipset, for example 1080p@25fps will consume 4 Mbps instead of 8 Mbps on previous models.

Does some of you have been able to test that ? Is it really true ?

I reviewed one of their new new eco savvy cameras but did not make note of the actual bandwidth other than the default was 8Mbps as seen below, ironic don't you think that they say it would be half, but the default is that when the default on their other cameras I have are 6Mbps. Basically, on most h.264 cameras, you can control the network bandwidth by reducing the bit rate but by doing so you are increasing compression. Not sure Ambarella can double compression and still maintain the same image quality. Me thinks it's more marketing than reality but definitely could be wrong.

238815_1.jpg

I have been installing a few of the hdw4100's. I really do not see much a difference. The 2100's, non eco savy, I would have to lower to 2048 just so my nvr could run all the cameras and they still looked fine. What I do like, is the new 1.3 eco savy bullet is in the same body as the 2mp bullet so it has more IR's.