jmccorm

Camera temperature [heat, not color] ranges?

It seems that finding cameras in my temperature range really narrows my selection. I see something that looks interesting...

http://www.ktnc.co.kr/product_01_04.asp

...only to find out it has a -10C to 50C range.

I live in a -20C to 40C [-5F to 105F] environment. Am I putting too much emphasis on the temperature range of the camera and putting a false limit on my choices?

Definately Extreme is the best unless you need a camera in a boiler, which I have a source for those too, there are some cheaper options out there though. I have a customer in Phoenix and he likes everfocus ez350's and ganz domes but if you use standard cameras just use good housings with blowers.

Where are you located that is that cold?

Tulsa, Oklahoma.

The average high temperature is 94F during the summer. Typical highest temperature is around 100-105F for a year. All-time record high is 115F. I'm aiming for the typical high seen during a year.

The average low temperature is 26F during the summer. Typical lowest temperature is around 0F for a year. All-time record low is -16F. I'm aiming for the typical low seen during a year.

USDA Plant Hardiness Zones lists the area as a -5 to 0F (-17 to -20.5C) area. Those temperatures being the "average annual minimum temperature range."

I think, back to my original question, am I putting too much emphasis on the temperature range of a camera? Can I cheat it to some degree and use a camera with a min 10F spec, and not worry about it acting strangely for the nights that are below 0F?

I'm curious to your application. In cold weather enviroments, I would expect the camera to be placed in a housing with a heater.