Sign in to follow this  
drocer

NVR packages, any have idiot proof GUI with remote control?

Bought the Swann NVR8-7200 costco 4 1080p camera package. It has absolutely mind blowing in quality and operation but for the person I bought this for it's unacceptable. Why? Because I need a better GUI / more intuitive UI with ability to use a remote over a mouse is even better. e.g. Simple playback from one camera:

Mouse:

Go to playback, select camera, select type of event and then search.

Remote control:

Press playback on 2x2 or larger--comes up blank as no camera was selected. Need mouse.

Press playback on 1x1 works fine. Need mouse for more advanced features like date searching/etc.

Was I just naive to assume that this would work great since there was a remote? Watched tons of youtube videos of UI's on DVR's and just assumed that NVR packages would be as easy. What that a mistake? Am I just expecting too much? This is a PC with a remote emulating keyboard/mouse buttons vs a dedicated appliance. Running IP cameras to a regular PC running zoneminder, blue iris, etc looks just as "easy."

I'm thinking of returning it, grabbing an analog DVR system, and just doing dual runs of cat5e with the analog. My thinking is that once an "easier" NVR system comes along I can just use the cat5e cables already run.

Qsee QC DVR

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/qsee-8x8-700tvl-8-960h-secrty-sys/prod11630139.ip?navAction=push

1. Ease of use
  2. 100ft Night vision
  3. Good enough quality

Once you build a idiot proof NVR, they just build better idiots!

I'm going to take that as a "no" then.

Why include a remote control when it's borderline useless then? I don't expect advanced functions to work with the remote, but I can't even get basic functionality. The number pad on the remote won't even let you input the numeric passcode--that's how bad it is. I see zero difference in a dedicated NVR vs a regular PC based NVR.

Q-see, Swann, and Lorex NVR's all have the same level of interaction with a remote control?

Why include a remote control when it's borderline useless then? I don't expect advanced functions to work with the remote, but I can't even get basic functionality. The number pad on the remote won't even let you input the numeric passcode--that's how bad it is. I see zero difference in a dedicated NVR vs a regular PC based NVR.

Q-see, Swann, and Lorex NVR's all have the same level of interaction with a remote control?

I do not know anyone who uses the remote control for anything. I am sure once you get used to the remote you must be able to do the basic functions, but with a mouse it is just way easier.

And I agree with varascope. DVR/NVRs have improved LOTS over the years, but idiots keep improving way faster.

I keep the remotes by the units but I never put the batteries in. I just keep them there so they don't get lost. I've never tried even a button on one.

Browser access and mouse are the 2 top ways. Hopefully the browser has more functions for live view and playback which you wan the customer to familiarize themselves with. Customers usually can't handle more than one method. Admin settings hopefully they call you.

We used to hand out manuals, paper, and leave next to the DVR. They still call 9 months later and ask how to burn. Probably 90% of all support calls. They get offended if you mentin the manual next to the DVR or the PDF they can download. On our end tons of time is spent "re-training" the customer. So next version of the software they included step by step instructions right on the screen. Step 1,2,3. Support calls for burning dropped to less then 10%.

Tell the customers the remote is only for people used to older DVRs and have a hard time transitioning. The 12 oclock flashers (People who have their clocks and VHS players flashing 12 because they don't know how to change the time)

Use programs like Snagit to create screen shot quick start guides and manuals. Pick one method and instill repetition is the only way for them to learn.

Also coming from software development: The easier you make the software for the user to use, the harder and more expensive it is to program. Additional lines of code are needed to make it user friendly.

From marketing perspective: You sell by price, you get what you pay for. The better class of customer that pays a little more for a better system generally has less issues. Selling to mom & pop shops generally turns into more support calls for you.

Actually these units were never meant to come with their remote control. It was not deemed to be necessary as a control mechanism and the usability of the remote was suspect.

However there was an error in supply chain which resulted in these units coming with the remote control. I've had to explain to people on more than one occasion that the remote is not a part of the system.