hiwatt

Help/Advice with new CCTV sytem Please!

Hi folks,any help and advice would be much appreciated.

My mum's looking to purchase a new CCTV system for her business.She is upgrading from the old jpeg 2000 standalone DVR that she's had for years as it's starting to fail!

I've explained that backing up to a USB is much "better" but she is used to burning it to a CD-R from the built in CD-RW and she would like to be able to back up to CD-R and view it without the need for a laptop etc.

My first question is this.Is there anything available that still uses the ability to back up to an internal CD-RW these days?I've checked ebay etc and can't find anything similar?She would be perfectly happy with another jpeg 2000 DVR if I can get one for her

I seen this and was wondering if anyone here has tried it and what the quality is like compared to the jpeg 2000?Surley it would be better?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-Channel-CCTV-DVR-Network-Video-Recorder-Camera-D1-H264-320GB-to-2TB-HDD-/171046434769?pt=UK_CCTV&var=&hash=item27d32977d1

Thank you folks.

I'm unable to make a clickable link for some reason so if you could copy and paste the ebay link that would be appreciated.Thanks folks.

Don't expect an EBay no-name cheapo DVR to be any good. Find something with a name on it at least. CNB still makes a decent DVR with built-in CD burner. I've got one. It does have its flaws, lossy video compression and unintuitive (to me anyway) footage review among them, but those are fairly common flaws in "cheap" DVRs. Depending on how your mum's DVR implements jpeg2000, it may have totally lossless compression and essentially same-as-live stored video quality. Jpeg2000 is good stuff, it just never really caught on. If you can't tell the difference between live and recorded video on that DVR then you're going to have to spend pretty big dollars replacing it with an equivalent h.264 unit. Or just throw in something cheap like the one you linked to and suffer the low quality no support blues.

Get her new DVR, based on H.264, which has USB back up capability.

The Capacity of CD is limited to 600 MByte. Most of USB sticks are capable of Min 2 G Bytes and cheaper. Antique costs a lot more, as you know.

By the way, unless it is stated as LossLess, any of compression methods becomes lossy in nature, say MPEG/JPEG/H264, and even including JPEG2000.

Hi folks

Thanks for the replies and the advice.Could any of you point me in the right direction to something half decent please?P.s I'm in the UK.Thanks.

definitely don't throw your money away on ebay you will probably need some tech assistance with old kit and more often than not struggle to get the support you need on ebay

Ive had from here before...

www.bigbrothersystems.com

(im like you adding links! how do you do that??)

Anyway they are on par price wise with some ebay kit but for professional latest tech kit and with support.

very helpful, UK based without high call rates. give them a call they really know their stuff, cost less than most places too and free delivery.

hope you get sorted!

The admin has the site set to not allow newbies to post live links. You have to make a certain number of posts (20?) before you're considered a low risk to be a spammer. Those that hang out and contribute with knowledge or questions are considered trustworthy.

Thank you very much for the replies folks!

Could someone please have a look through the specs of these sytems for me and tell me which one you think would be best to replace the current jpeg 2000 standalone?Also the first one being the cheapest are the other 2 much better quality/spec wise and worth paying a bit more for?Any help would be much appreciated.Thank you folks.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-Channel-CCTV-DVR-Network-Video-Recorder-Camera-D1-H264-320GB-to-2TB-HDD-/171046434769?pt=UK_CCTV&var=&hash=item27d32977d1

http://www.bigbrothersystems.com/p/8-channel-dvr-800tvl-decoders-d1-recording-1000gig-1tb-small-footprint-h264-silent-200fps-486.php

http://www.bigbrothersystems.com/p/8-channel-h264-dvr-full-d1-recording-1tb-hdmi-1920-x-1080-resolution-full-hd-vga-tv-out-577.php

I'm out. Not familiar with any of them. I find that the big test of cheap systems is stored video quality of pictures with subtle shades of the same colour. Unfortunately, this makes night pictures with subtle shades of grey wash out any detail that the camera might've picked up. Maybe ask the vendors to send you some night shots captured with no white light and see if you're happy. Still, it'd be hard to tell without comparing them with YOUR DVR saving data from YOUR cameras in YOUR mounting spots with YOUR light levels.

Hi folks.Sorry it's just that I don't want to purchase something that isn't going to work.The cameras we have are old(At least 8 years old)so they aren't going to record in HD or anything.

What about this one.It's branded "Kongtop" and costs £116.89 with a 1TB HDD.Does it look ok?Obviously at that price it isn't going to be "top of the range" but should it record ok?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KONGTOP-8CH-8-CHANNEL-REALTIME-NETWORK-CCTV-SURVEILLANCE-DVR-VIDEO-RECORDER-H264-/171003158637?pt=UK_CCTV&var=&hash=item27d095206d

If you were on a budget which of the 3 would you buy if you had to?Thanks folks.

Hi folks.Sorry it's just that I don't want to purchase something that isn't going to work.The cameras we have are old(At least 8 years old)so they aren't going to record in HD or anything.

What about this one.It's branded "Kongtop" and costs £116.89 with a 1TB HDD.Does it look ok?Obviously at that price it isn't going to be "top of the range" but should it record ok?

http://www.ebay.co.uk

If you were on a budget which of the 3 would you buy if you had to?Thanks folks.

Hi £116 then take price of hard drive off that's £30 for a dvr ..... So don't expect it to work and don't expect to be able to use footage in a uk court

What is your budget ..... That's the best way to help you.

Also your ebay link ........ Just because it says uk don't believe the seller is ......... Have a read in negative and I would say that is from china

http://www.ebay.co.uk

Hi £116 then take price of hard drive off that's £30 for a dvr ..... So don't expect it to work and don't expect to be able to use footage in a uk court

What is your budget ..... That's the best way to help you.

Also your ebay link ........ Just because it says uk don't believe the seller is ......... Have a read in negative and I would say that is from china

I know that's why I'm a bit weary!To be honest we're only looking to spend around £200.Do you think I would be better buying a new drive for the current JPEG 2000 standalone system we have?The only thing is it only backs up to cd-r and I then have to convert to AVI(If required to do so)May be worth mentioning that it is to be used for recording/monitoring at my mothers business.

This one is just over £200 does this "seem" ok?I posted this link before as someone on here provided a link to their site?

http://www.bigbrothersystems.com/p/8-channel-h264-dvr-full-d1-recording-1tb-hdmi-1920-x-1080-resolution-full-hd-vga-tv-out-577.php

Hi. Yes best changing from JPEG unit

Links you are posting are none brand and you will get no support at all

I have sent a link to your pm ..... And it's £50 cheaper than the units you have posted but they are dahua units.

Also in the uk you do have guidelines to follow for a business system which covers you with a dahua.

If you want to upgrade later then hybrid will also work for you .... Using your existing cameras and add ip later ... They start at £300

Hi. Yes best changing from JPEG unit

Links you are posting are none brand and you will get no support at all

I have sent a link to your pm ..... And it's £50 cheaper than the units you have posted but they are dahua units.

Also in the uk you do have guidelines to follow for a business system which covers you with a dahua.

If you want to upgrade later then hybrid will also work for you .... Using your existing cameras and add ip later ... They start at £300

Hi Tom,thanks for your help.

That system looked very similar to the ones I had been looking at but only even cheaper?Could you tell me what a dahua unit is please?

No guidelines to follow no.It's a self run business.All I am looking for is a reliable system that will record fairly good quality and will "do it's job".The JPEG 2000 worked well but is maybe just a bit dated now?

Something around the £200 mark that's fairly reasonably good should be just fine.Another thing is my mum's got to operate it so something not to technical.Also could somebody tell me the difference with an OS based system like Linus as opposed to the jpeg system.If possible I would like to keep it simple for her as she knows how to work the jpeg 2000 just fine.Also what would be the main benefits of updating the JPEG 2000 to something more modern.

Thanks folks.

Hi the link I sent is dahua don't go for something that look like it

An 8 way dahua with 1tb hard drive for that price which is well under your budget.

If your mum thinks a JPEG 2000 is easy to use then the dahua is going to be easy

Unplug your 2000 plug in dahua done

Full Internet on pc phones pads ....... If you look cheaper then your just buying junk

Hi Tom

The link you sent was for a system called QVIS and looks fairly cheap?Have you tried this one and is it ok?Thanks again.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-8-16-Channel-CCTV-DVR-Internet-Full-D1-H264-HDMI-QVIS-Digital-Video-Recorder-/321297478057?pt=UK_CCTV&var=&hash=item4aced271a9

Yes but it's a dahua ........ And well in your budget

And yes they are vert good systems