Jasper

Hiding and Protecting Exposed Cable

I want to mount two domes on the underside of this beam. I will be dropping cable down from the ceiling outside of the beam to the cameras. I want to hide the wires and possibly provide some protection against cutting. I have seen those adhesive strips that cover electrical wires, but I was wondering if there was something else that might offer more protection and still be aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

The cable will be coming down vertically across the beam which is 12 inches deep. It will then curve around the underside of the beam and go behind the camera or through the little hole on the side of the dome. I would need to shim the camera out if I run the cable underneath it. Or provide some stress relief for the cable if I come in the side hole. Any recommendations?

32645_1.jpg

you could use some cable mold .. then varnish it the same color of the wood ..

can you not drill up into the wood, make a hole straight through into the ceiling ..?

I guess I could.

It's just solid wood, but that would probably be the best way to do it.

I will have to recheck the attic situation and see if there is anything in the way.

See this is exactly why I will ask what I think is a stupid question because something as simple as what you said escaped me when thinking about this. Duh.

After reviewing my photographs of that area in the attic I know why I avoided mounting that way.

There appears to be another 2 feet of solid concrete above that beam.

Plus there is Heat/AC duct work covering that exact area.

Back to my orginal mounting strategy. I am just going to have to cover the cable with something to provide minimal protection.

Maybe some of those strips people use for cords on carpet, unless someone has some suggestions.

I guess I could buy a 4 foot bit and carefully avoid the duct work, but what a hassle.

we used to drill through 3 feet of solid concrete to the windows in homes here for alarm systems ... just get a hammer drill and a long drill bit..

what about removing the original molding at the top and on the back side of it make room for your cable...the un-covered cable put it in the adhesive cover and paint...just an idea...have fun...

Yeah I wish I could do the molding thing, but not enough room for the cable, plus some of it would still be exposed.

I guess a 4 foot drill bit is in my future. My Dewalt cordless drill has the hammer setting.

Rory, that one bartender I was telling you about quit already after I installed the first camera. I guess it was going to interfer with her activities.

By the time I have them all installed the place should be closed due to bartenders quitting.

This is what I will have to drill through and avoide electrical conduit and Duct work. No fun. Especially for so little pay. like nothing.

32692_1.jpg

It would look much more professional though and would allow optimal placement of the cameras.

This place has been remodeled three times. So there is roof over roof.

Makes for an interesting install

Thats the optimal placement due to the beam being a good distance below the lights. And there is a dome at the other end of the bar which looks towards that area.

Two cameras will be placed on the beam. One to look back towards the other camera allowing the viewing of the front of the bar which the first camera doesn't pick up.

The second camera will point to the end of the bar for a good view there.

He wants to use the full wide angle view for maximum perphrial views.

The cameras have 2.8-5.8mm lenses but he wants the widest view. The CCD is 1/4 inch.

This way he will have full coverage of the bartenders and the be able to see a little outside the bar area as well.

Drill at an angle so you miss the concrete.

Use a piece of Telco wire or RCA cable for that short distance, so you only have to use a thin 3' Drill bit - splice it in the ceiling to the siamese.

That could work.

I need to think about the angle, the thickness of the header board and where I would come out at.

I really don't want to have the wires exposed although he doesn't care, but I do. It would look like crap, not to mention losing the very protection that the dome offers.

I just need to order a big drill bit over the internet then as the longest I have is two feet at the moment. My local hardware store doesn't carry anything that long. And if they do it will be 2-3 times what I can probably buy it for the internet.

Thanks for the idea Rory.

no prob, all my walls here in my appt are like 2' thick concrete from the 1930's .... i always just drill and run a telco wire through first ... for clients i let the electricians drill the big holes ..

Is that beam definately solid? I'd be afraid of drilling in only to find out it's a metal I-beam boxed in. Is it a structural beam? I'd also be afraid of drilling into it and voiding any engineering if it's structural.

Yes it is structural.

I ended up coming down from the ceiling on the other side of the beam, just to the side of it.

He didn't want me to go through the beam. I put them in after closing last night.

He didn't mind the cable showing. The draft beer sign was put on the other side of the beam to cover up the cables.

I mounted 2 domes up there. One of them keeps changing from Color to BW every 30 seconds or so. I didn't get a chance to see what was causing the problem as he wanted to lock up and go home before I could check it out.