sc00bs

Video Loss at Night

Hi

I recently added a new camera onto my DVR system.

The camera runs fine during the day but at night when it switches to IR I get a blue screen on the DVR and a video loss message.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Regards

JohnB

volt drop - the IR is taking too much power and the camera signal is cutting out

How are you powering the new camera?

What current does the Camera require with IR on?

What Size PSU is it connected to?

Change the PSU to larger unit to provide the correct current, cover the camera up in daytime to check its working saves waiting until night time

What is the DVR ? Could be a setting in the DVR which if camera is covered will show a video loss warning

Thanks for the suggestions guys, the power supply I am using allows me to bridge the supply for more current so will do so and see if it solves the problem and let you know,

Thanks Again (fingers crossed)

JohnB

Hi Guys

Neutech

What current does the Camera require with IR on?

- Not sure, doesn't say in the manual what the amperage requirement is either

What Size PSU is it connected to?

- I have a fused 16 channel x 700ma power supply, I can increase the amperage available by bridging the channels

Change the PSU to larger unit to provide the correct current, cover the camera up in daytime to check its working saves waiting until night time

- I bridged two power channels to give me 1.4A but it is still not working, also tried powering the camera separately on a 5A power supply but still not working, I will try bridging three channels tomorrow to give me 2.1A and see what happends (not sure I trust the 5A on the standalone PS). Will also try the covering up trick once I have bridged the channels

What is the DVR ? Could be a setting in the DVR which if camera is covered will show a video loss warning

- Some Chinese DVR, had a look for setting but can't find anything to do with camera selection, I have another DVR that I will try out to see if it works with it.

Owain

volt drop - the IR is taking too much power and the camera signal is cutting out

- Have a 16 channel CCTV power supply, is 700ma per channel but they can be bridged, I have tried bridign two channels but still not working so will try three and see if that helps. I do have a separate 5A power supply that I used to have the DVR and four cameras running on, I tried that but camera is still not working so have my doubts about it being the power supply but will see.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, will keep on trying and let you know if I come up with an answer.

JohnB

400ma draw and your giving it 1.4A ...... sounds like there is an issue somewhere, how far is cable run from PSU to Camera?

Have you tried pluging the camera into a monitor direct at night or when covered?

Hook up a direct 5A PSU to the camera and see how it goes

Check the volts at the camera end where it's important. Check the camera spec sheet and usually it ts voltage is 12v + or- 10%

If it's just the one camera giving you issues and it's sharing a PSU with other cameras and they are okay then chances are it's Voltage drop at the camera. Also the longer the run from the PSU to the camera the more volt drop you will suffer.

good luck...

Thanks for all the help guys.

The CCTV kit I got came with cables so I was just using those.

When I connected the camera directly up to the DVR it worked no problem so could safely assume it was something to do with the cable.

Cable was 30mtr and I only need 10 metres for that camera so I shortened the cable and it is now working no problem so I would assume was either due to voltage drop over the cable length or signal loss.

I did notice that the cable was not shielded, something that I thought was pretty standard on signal cables but obviously not on the el-cheapo versions.

Thanks again for all the suggestions on getting it all working, couldn't have done it without you guys (or at least would have taken me a whole load longer)

JohnB

One Correction for misleading

You can not find issues from any voltage drop when using around less than 1 KM.

The issue is associated with capacitance effect that distorts the pure clean signal from camera.

You may conclude that the cable is so bad and cheap, No Shields.