cavcom

Cheapest 8 port poe switch that is rack mountable?

Expanding my demo system here at my house and need a 8 port switch that has at least 4 poe and is rack mountable. Would prefer a name brand .

Thanks

I do. They're quite popular on here. Very reliable. Full 15.4w PoE power on all of the 4 PoE ports as well, unlike many other budget 8 port switches. Many don't have the power budget to max out all 4 ports simultaneously.

I do. They're quite popular on here. Very reliable. Full 15.4w PoE power on all of the 4 PoE ports as well, unlike many other budget 8 port switches. Many don't have the power budget to max out all 4 ports simultaneously.

I guess I got unlucky mine died after six months (I think power supply ). RMAing this week, that process so far as been pretty painless. For cheap network gear I prefer TPlink to Zyxel. Also on the same switch I had an issue were a particular Intel NIC would periodically drop/renegotiate (not sure if NIC or switch but the NIC worked fine on three other switches I had). Only caught that because I saw my cameras dropping.

I also use the Zyxel switches, I have at least 40 of them now. Both the 8 port and the 16 port and they are working great. I have had to RMA one of them as a single port went out after the camera was hit by lightning. The other 7 ports were still working though which surprised me. Easy RMA, sent me a whole new switch.

I've also used Cisco 300 series business class switches and have RMAed 8-9 of those before I quit using them altogether. They also fix them, but I'm over the failing. Replaced them with Zyxel as they fail and the Zyxel switches have not failed in the same locations as the Ciscos.

As a note, the 8 port Zyxel switches are silent, with no fans. The 16 port could be considered loud with a couple of fans on there. If sound is an issue near your rack get two 8 port models over the 16 port.

There's nothing wrong with the "budget switches." It's people trying to power class 3 devices with class 1/2 switches.

5W bullet cuts out on my 7W/port PoE switch.

5W is most likely 7W with IR. 7W PSE is actually 6.49W at the PD. There's no wonder the switch has problems when it needs 7W and gets 6.49W.

Up and running with two of the Zyxel wifi hot spots that were about 60 bucks each, impressed with how good they work also, the range is very good for the price.

Some half-power switches will allocate the power among different ports. For instance, my 8 port 52W switch only supplies 6.5W average per port, but will also provide 4 ports with 13W, with none left for the remaining ports.

Typically these are managed switches, where you can set port priorities so it won't starve something important to feed something you don't care as much about.