sf1964

camera suggestion for this picture

What about trying a wide dynamic camera for this shot? It should compensate for the light differences.

I'm not sure what I can link to and not link to because of the board rules. We are currently looking at the Videology 20E709W for some WD captures.

Here's a definition of WD I pulled from a google search:

One of the most fundamental "law" of photography is that you never take a picture with bright light source, such as the sun in the background. Most of us know what happens when we do this: A black shadowy silhouette in front of a bright light, unable to distinguish any physical features. Same has been true in CCTV surveillance photography. Recently however a breakthrough in optical engineering called the Wide Dynamic Technology enables a camera to take picture for what used to be off limits for surveillance photography.

Whoever wrote that definition, obviously doesn't have much knowledge of photography post 1920 something. When I was a kid (no jokes please!) you were always told to take photographs with the sun behind you (flat lighting, minimal shadows).

For anyone with a reasonable knowledge of picture taking, dealing with "contre jour" or against the light shots, can produce some quite startling and interesting images.

That said, CCTV is a whole different ball game, but whereas engineers have long sought to use the wide dynamic range of some camera imagers to produce a usable picture in backlit conditions, the fact is that for perhaps 50 - 75% of everyday situations, you can just as easily manipulate available lighting (either visible or IR) to produce a more pleasing and evenly lit image.

The idea that WDR is a new phenomenon, does somewhat overlook the fact that previous generations of Vidicon tubed cameras, had sufficient dynamic range to cope with lighting from perhaps 5 - 100,000 lux simply using a fixed iris lens (16mm f1.6 used on 2/3").

Rory,l just ordered that ge camera from spytown,what adjusments should l be looking to do with the settings of the camera,as l have little to no experience setting up the cameras for optimum viewing.l know l have to consider lighting background and foreground etc,but in general what would my settings be for this camera based on my bar lighting!!

http://www.ge-consultantlink.com/Docs/camplus_man.pdf

Set to DD

Everything else can be default, you can turn on SAGC if it looks better, that makes it brighter, since its indoors only it could help, outdoors i never turn that on. BLC can stay on by default, if you have brightness/glare issues then turn it off. You shouldnt need LinkLock but wont hurt to leave it on default.

manual.

http://www.ge-consultantlink.com/Docs/camplus_man.pdf

thanks rory you have been a big help, along with other members,this forum is a valuable learning tool for the novices.l managed to run cameras,put on connectors set the focus using a second monitor on site,all knowledge gained from this forum and even some issues with routers!!!

no problem Airick,l just bought them ,they should arrive by wednesday and l also managed to pick up 2 panasonic wv 474 domes for $400.00 for both of them!! so l will install them by the weekend!!

Rory if you could advise me on the ideal settings for the 2 panasonics,based on the light conditions in my bar,l would really appreciate it!!l am going to put them near a lighter area(still dim though)

That is a smokin deal for those cameras. Did they fall off the back of a truck?? Where did you find those so cheap? You are talking about these right? WV-CW474AS