austin38

switching from analog to ip

hello

we have around 25 analog cameras in our restaurant and i have ben tasked with updated and installing some more cameras.

i need to add around 10-14 ip cameras between 2-5 Megapixel. in the future i would like to switch all of the analog cameras to ip but for right now it would just be the 10-14. I am leaning more toward a pc based, or would you recommend anything else?

what specs do you recommend for the pc? i would like to record and view from the same pc and also have remote view.

what software do you recommend. i was looking at either milestone, or digiop. i would like to have it integrated with my pos system.

any information would help thank you

Milestone XProtect works well. I believe you need to get at least the Express edition to use any of their add on products like Retail. Not sure you need a huge system, but if you are going commercial grade, a single chip xeon e5-2650 with 8GB RAM should be fine. Of course disk usage is based on how much activity and you already have experience with analog, just assume a heck of a lot more for 2-5MP.

Figure with that many cameras and future growth, a nice 24 port PoE GigE switch will keep you busy for a while.

As for cameras, depends on your budget. If money is not a concern, the Axis P3367 is a nice 5MP camera, good low light sensitivity, remote focus and varifocal. ACTi has some new cameras that came out that are cool, the B series that are mini-PTZ and come in various resolutions as well as their regular line of domes. Hikvision also has some very nice domes in the lower price range that compete with the higher end.

That chip has a pretty hefty price tag, is there any alternatives? We probably wouldn't go over 30 cameras total. All of our cameras now record continuously. I'd like to have the motion detection features to save on storage but is that possible to use on just a few cameras or is it all or none?

You can record whatever cameras you want, but to see them all together, to have the POS integration, you should have licenses on each camera.

I suggested the Hikvision's, good 3MP camera at a good price. For example, the ds-2cd2532f are small, discrete, good indoors. The ds-2cd2732F are better outdoors (brighter illuminators). Both cost about $250-260ish, have onboard SD card slots for recording. The latter is varifocal. Try one to see how it works out. You can have them just record to a 64GB microSD card until you figure out your recording strategy. You can playback straight from the camera with a timeline, very cool.

Milestone is a good option but will require a lot of server. Are you looking to have your analogs and IPs on the same server, or are you leaving the old DVR in place as you move to this new one?

If you are looking for IP only then Exacq Start would be a nice software package. You could run all your cameras on a basic i5 with no issues at all. Most other software really requires a ton of hardware, Exacq seems to be unique in how little it needs. I have 10 3mp cameras for example only using 33% of an i3 even when all displayed at once. Exacq also includes a very good web server with remote viewing and you can get apps for android, ios, and even windows phone as needed. Exacq start would be about $1400 in licensing for 14 cameras for 6 years total. $50 per camera, 10$ for each extra year beyond the first. Not super cheap, but also not expensive when you can run it on a way more inexpensive server/desktop.

There are also hybrid options if you want to have all the analog and the IPs on the same server, but it does get more costly. Nice to have all on one box though, and in some locations IP may never really be needed and analog will get the shot you want so you have the flexibility to use both types of camera.

There are a lot of options out there that is for sure, the more details the better everyone will be able to help! Camera brands will not always work with certain software, or there are known issues/bugs so once you narrow down what you'll be using it will be easier. Budget for software, server/desktop and cameras?

Seeing as it is indoor it should be pretty easy (compared to outdoor anyway) to use motion on the cameras you want with minimal falsing. Motion will save you a TON of hard drive space. How many days of footage do you want to have? 10, 100?

Right now I have 2, 16 channel dvrs I would like to keep some of the analog cameras and try to narrow it down so that I would only need 1 dvr

I decided to go with a hp proliant dl160 g6 and run the new cameras off of that

Budget for the cameras would be around $250-400 per camera.. I need cameras that will last a few years that will run non-stop

I don't really have a budget as of now for the server and or software yet I don't mind spending the extra money as long as I see that it's worth it I don't want to cut and corners and realize a year down the road that I have to buy all new stuff

Not that good of a deal actually for OEM Hikvision.

$299.99 is not that good

how come?

Not when you can get it for a lot less, I'll PM you the link.

Hi. If your looking at both and analog then a hybrid is best plus no extra costs

A 32 way would give you 16 channels for your existing cameras and 16 channels for 16 x upto 5mp on each channel and 16 channels for pos and stock and till control all licence free

Looking at build your own is do you want to install and leave or spend time getting system to run as you need

I'm not looking to add any analog I just don't want to get rid of them until the end of there life span. The new system I want all up cameras

Not that good of a deal actually for OEM Hikvision.

$299.99 is not that good

how come?

Not when you can get it for a lot less, I'll PM you the link.

Geez Louise...you can get it at friggin' camera Costco for $249.99...including shipping for krikey sakes.

I'm not looking to add any analog I just don't want to get rid of them until the end of there life span. The new system I want all up cameras

Hi. That is what a hybrid is used for ........use existing cameras and as you replace to ip ad ip to hybrid Hybrid runs either type

Geez Louise...you can get it at friggin' camera Costco for $249.99...including shipping for krikey sakes.

That one has no built-in Micro SD slot & Audio Range with $249.99....

$299.99 can do both, you pay what u get!

Untitled.jpg.f705e8881bc6cb9438fb379e93aa4e3d.jpg

But does the user NEED on-cam recording and Audio?

The Costco version (249 varifocal) does have an sd card slot even though its not mentioned in the specs....it just doesn't have audio..

The Costco version (249 varifocal) does have an sd card slot even though its not mentioned in the specs....it just doesn't have audio..

Do ppl care about audio? $50 more for it, I think ok!