markm88

90-Camera IP Installation - Need recommendations for switche

Hello all,

We are bidding a job for a 90-camera installation, 66 cameras at 1.3 Megapixel and 24 at 2.1 Megapixel. For the smaller jobs in the past, I have used Cisco's SF 300-24P and Netgear's FS728TP-100NAS (each install for 24 cameras, two switches per install).

Getting into the bigger installations, I would like to know if the switches I have used in the past would be acceptable in a large installation or if I should look into a different grade of switch. The 1.3 Megapixel cameras are under 3W per camera power consumption and the 2.1 Megapixel cameras are around 12W. I love the idea of using some higher-end HP or Cisco switches, but 2 to 3 times the cost seems like a lot to swallow.

Has anyone done an installation of this size and can they recommend the switches they used? The other thing that I should mention is that the client has no IT staff on site and any issues with this system, I would be the one going out to repair/troubleshoot them. If there are brands of switches that can offer me (a) good assistance in troubleshooting (from a GUI or web-interface) and (b) fast replacement (in Canada) that would be worth the extra up-front money to save myself time and my client money moving forward. The Cisco switches/service plan on the equipment that I have purchased in the past (I felt) were reasonable.

Thanks very much!

Hello all,

We are bidding a job for a 90-camera installation, 66 cameras at 1.3 Megapixel and 24 at 2.1 Megapixel. For the smaller jobs in the past, I have used Cisco's SF 300-24P and Netgear's FS728TP-100NAS (each install for 24 cameras, two switches per install).

Getting into the bigger installations, I would like to know if the switches I have used in the past would be acceptable in a large installation or if I should look into a different grade of switch. The 1.3 Megapixel cameras are under 3W per camera power consumption and the 2.1 Megapixel cameras are around 12W. I love the idea of using some higher-end HP or Cisco switches, but 2 to 3 times the cost seems like a lot to swallow.

Has anyone done an installation of this size and can they recommend the switches they used? The other thing that I should mention is that the client has no IT staff on site and any issues with this system, I would be the one going out to repair/troubleshoot them. If there are brands of switches that can offer me (a) good assistance in troubleshooting (from a GUI or web-interface) and (b) fast replacement (in Canada) that would be worth the extra up-front money to save myself time and my client money moving forward. The Cisco switches/service plan on the equipment that I have purchased in the past (I felt) were reasonable.

Thanks very much!

I use Netgear's FS728TP-100NAS all the time

last time used for 70 Avigilon cameras (3 of them )

no problem at all

Where are u in Canada ?

We service clients in Calgary and surrounding area - I'm excited to try some outdoor cameras to see if they can last at -40

We service clients in Calgary and surrounding area - I'm excited to try some outdoor cameras to see if they can last at -40

Hi, neighbor

I am in Edmonton

Check your PM

For our large projects 200+ cameras we use HP Procurve switches.

http://h17007.www1.hp.com/us/en/networking/products/switches/HP_2920_Switch_Series/index.aspx

I have been very happy with them and they come with a FREE lifetime next day replacement warranty.

THIS..

Love the HP stuff, the V1920 have a 24 port that's around $800 (all ports 15w, if you get a backup for the switch you can then supply 375w over the whole switch)

if you need further the 5120 series will do 48 ports all PoE+ managed with BBU (expect to pay $3k for it though)

I'd always go managed on a reasonable size install, remote camera power usage stats and able to flip a port is golden!

http://h17007.www1.hp.com/us/en/networking/products/switches/HP_2920_Switch_Series/index.aspx

I have been very happy with them and they come with a FREE lifetime next day replacement warranty.

THIS..

Love the HP stuff, the V1920 have a 24 port that's around $800 (all ports 15w, if you get a backup for the switch you can then supply 375w over the whole switch)

if you need further the 5120 series will do 48 ports all PoE+ managed with BBU (expect to pay $3k for it though)

I'd always go managed on a reasonable size install, remote camera power usage stats and able to flip a port is golden!

Yea I have a 5120 but I think it is overkill for all but complicated network needs. The 2920 series is cheaper and the also have POE+ on all ports plus that have hot swappable power supplies.

THIS..

Yea I have a 5120 but I think it is overkill for all but complicated network needs. The 2920 series is cheaper and the also have POE+ on all ports plus that have hot swappable power supplies.

yeah we got them pre 2920 launch, would most likely have just grabbed the 2920's if they were out.