Sign in to follow this  
Dirk_D

Western Digital Red NAS drives

I just noticed they only spin @ 5400 rpms, not 7200 like the blacks/enterprise grades I've been using. I'm not doing any IP cam stuff, will they be fast enough for <16 camera 640x480 systems?

It will work fine. With the Red Series, it is not so much the speed it is spinning but the 6Gbs SATA rate and the firmware that tells it how to record. As an example the SV35 drives record sequentially vs randomly. I actually prefer the Red over the SV35 because after the Thailand flood issue, the drives don't seem the same and the warranty was shortened.

The way the DVR/NVR records also effects performance. We have 2 versions of our software where 1 records 1 file per camera in 256M chunks. The second records all cameras to one file in 256M chunks (changeable). The 1 file system shows a dramatic performance increase.

thanks for that. I have 3 more on the way, just finished setting up the first. I've been using Enterprise grade recently for the most part after some quick failures w/ blues & greens (not many, but still). I have a bunch of SSDs too, mostly on the my most-used machines/servers, but I don't notice much other than the lag from when a disk in standby mode starts to spin. OK, SSD is lots faster.

The greens are the worst. Performance is super slow and side by side with a Red it is a night and day difference. The best drives used for Enterprise systems have been SAS drives with an Areca Raid Controller configured for RAID 6 or RAID 10. Just waiting for the Ultraviolet drives to come out. 1.2 Petabytes of storage with Intels MPU blazing fast transfer rate.....uhh..uhh.uhh more power!